Sign in to follow this  
Cat O'Falk

Aerospace and Astronomy

Just now, Cat O'Falk said:

You must've had cloud cover then. The moon was 31 through 22 degrees above the western horizon in Glasgow during totality. :( Cloudy here in Leicester too. :angry:

I saw the line of cloud and it was below where the moon should have been.

Right up until the last sliver I watched it disappear and then....nothing. Then the hue appeared about 5:10. Can't help feeling robbed somehow. I might not make the next one!

• Sad 1

I had a look at 4am when I got up for a piss, clear sky but I was not overly impressed so I just went back to bed.

3 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

I had a look at 4am when I got up for a piss, clear sky but I was not overly impressed so I just went back to bed.

You were 41 minutes too early.  :lol:

9 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

You were 41 minutes too early.

Story of my life, give or take 39 minutes.

• Haha 2

Tag line for this thread should be ‘Astronomy Domine’

Venus-moon-Jupiter at your service, courtesy west Texas.

36B95B56-A918-4243-8CFE-CA9792D852F8.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Venus-moon-Jupiter at your service, courtesy west Texas.

You got the red super giant Antares in that shot as well.

Saturn can be located within the white circle and he's on his way to meet up with Venus on the 18th February.

sc.jpeg

sc1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone interested and in the UK south of Dundee, the ISS will be visible passing over from (roughly) west to east at 6:49pm this evening (31st Jan)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

For anyone interested and in the UK south of Dundee, the ISS will be visible passing over from (roughly) west to east at 6:49pm this evening (31st Jan)

It can be seen in Thurso at 25 degrees above the horizon and very low in the sky at 15 degrees in Lerwick. The further south you are, the higher in the sky it will be.

This is one of those passes where it disappears into the Earth's shadow whilst still relatively high in the sky (at 1851:11 hrs GMT).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cat O'Falk said:

It can be seen in Thurso at 25 degrees above the horizon and very low in the sky at 15 degrees in Lerwick. The further south you are, the higher in the sky it will be.

This is one of those passes where it disappears into the Earth's shadow whilst still relatively high in the sky (at 1851:11 hrs GMT).

Living in Fife, I choose Dundee as my viewing point so that if it can be seen there then I will be able to see it as well.

Low angles often mean that it can be obscured by tree, hills or even houses on the horizon.

• Like 1

Low angles in Fife don't stop youz chucking spears at the Sun when it comes up in the morning.

• Haha 2

@Cat O'Falk if I wait 20 minutes they rise up in the sky nicely.  Been quite a show this week, kinda wish moon hadn’t interfered.  But it’s an iPhone I can’t expect much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, charon said:

Low angles in Fife don't stop youz chucking spears at the Sun when it comes up in the morning.

It's my sensibility that stops me doing that.

Over the next seven days the planet Mercury can be seen with the naked eye low in the western skies shortly after sunset.

It's the brightest thing in that region of the sky and it usually takes on a redish or pinkish hue as it's so close to the horizon.

Online Planetarium

• Like 3

Interesting, will keep a beady open.

*Was sure this was gonna be a post on the Israeli or Japanese space efforts this week when I opened thread.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, charon said:

Interesting, will keep a beady open.

Here's the view from your neck of the woods. It runs fast forward from sunset at 1737hrs until Mercury sets at 1927hrs. 

• Like 1

All depends how low Cat, fuck off big mountain due West of me.

* Plus some aurora of late so if skies clear that'll colour the sky anyways.

It's about 14 degrees above the horizon at sunset. 

In the video the time is to the top left hand corner and the altitude is to the top right above the NSEW compass points.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, charon said:

Some aurora of late.

You lucky bugger.  :(

A cat in Oregon that was put to sleep last month may go where no other deceased feline has gone before.  The cat's owner wants to send his ashes to space.  
Steve Munt, who previously did work for NASA, writing software for the Hubble space telescope, refers to animal care as his joy.  Munt wanted to memorialize his late cat Pikachu -- and with his NASA background, he started thinking about space, and found Celestis Memorial Spaceflights.  For $5,000, the company will launch ashes into space on a satellite that can be tracked as it orbits earth.  Pikachu would be the first cat to make the journey.  Munt has set up a GoFundMe page that, so far, has raised more than $1,200 of the $5,000 to get Pikachu to space.

SC

17 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

A cat in Oregon that was put to sleep last month may go where no other deceased feline has gone before.  The cat's owner wants to send his ashes to space.  
Steve Munt, who previously did work for NASA, writing software for the Hubble space telescope, refers to animal care as his joy.  Munt wanted to memorialize his late cat Pikachu -- and with his NASA background, he started thinking about space, and found Celestis Memorial Spaceflights.  For $5,000, the company will launch ashes into space on a satellite that can be tracked as it orbits earth.  Pikachu would be the first cat to make the journey.  Munt has set up a GoFundMe page that, so far, has raised more than $1,200 of the $5,000 to get Pikachu to space.

SC

Imperialist bullshit.

Stop fucking spreading lies ya pricktoid.

Plenty of cats been in space and some carked up there  so either way, that post is pish

A.M., Shiner, TX — Venus on the right.

529B1E3E-88E9-404D-90E0-AB96BF6C019B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

A.M., Shiner, TX — Venus on the right.

If you take a look tomorrow morning at an hour before sunrise, you'll see Venus (at an altitude of 10 degrees), Saturn (22 deg) and Jupiter (33 deg) all in a line. Pluto is in there too but of course it's not visible to the naked eye.

VPSJ.jpg

• Like 1

@Cat O'Falk what made this photo cool was that it was foggy/misty up in that grey mess.  Sadly that also obscured all but the strongest beacons: Venus

• Like 1

A very cool photo Sir Creep took a number of years ago, the night before Hurricane Isaac would make landfall (28 Aug 2012).
It's his little masterpiece, ne'er to be duplicated.  A rainbow and moon in the same photo.

SC

IMG_1232.JPG

• Like 1