Sign in to follow this  
Cat O'Falk

Aerospace and Astronomy

54 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but I take it there's no online database which logs where these planes have actually been?   

We're talking about 35 or more years ago. Records should exist but they're not online and not necessarily on a private database. I reckon they'll be in a box file buried deep somewhere in the archives.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

We're talking about 35 or more years ago. Records should exist but they're not online and not necessarily on a private database. I reckon they'll be in a box file buried deep somewhere in the archives.

Ah well, I thought as much.   Will give my online sleuthing a rest for a while.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2019 at 14:13, Cat O'Falk said:

Here's Kim Kardashian giving us a tour of 'Kanye West's' (untitled) private 747 but she doesn't tell us It's actually owned and operated by Las Vegas Sands Corporation.

I have been about 250 feet from that aircraft! We flew low over it and about 6 "Janet" 737s on our way for breakfast in the Grand Canyon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

I have been about 250 feet from that aircraft! We flew low over it and about 6 "Janet" 737s on our way for breakfast in the Grand Canyon.

Shh, don't mention Janet 737s, you never know who's listening, especially as they once belonged to Chinese airlines.  :lol:

It's ok, I didn't take several photos with a big lens!!;)

• Haha 1

Question: What happens when one inputs the wrong aircraft weight?

Answer: The aircraft sits up and begs to be allowed to get airborne before the runway ends.

This happened earlier this week in Moscow. A runway inspection found that five lighting units were destroyed during the takeoff, with broken glass scattered all around. After arriving in Simferopol, the Boeing 737 was submitted to an inspection that showed three tyres had been damaged and the landing gear had glass embedded.

https://samchui.com/2019/08/08/s7-boeing-737-almost-ran-out-of-runway-during-takeoff-at-moscow-airport/#.XU7xNONKjIU

I'll just set this here.

BU-Quarter-Sovereign-1-500x461.jpg

Strange things happen when an airline like Thomas Cook goes bust. It's not everyday you see a Miami Air Boeing 737 at 36,000 feet above Ipswich.  :lol:

bsk1597.jpg

I was woken 6.20 thismorning by a hyper 7 year old telling me that Saturn has 20 new moons making it the new "moon king" with 82 vs Jupiter's 79. Oh the joys.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There's a A transit of Mercury today when the planet Mercury passes directly between the Sun and the Earth, becoming visible against (and hence obscuring a small portion of) the solar disk. During a transit, Mercury appears as a tiny black dot moving across the disk of the Sun.

Mercury will begin to creep onto the sun's disk at 1235hrs GMT and it will take about 5 hour and 28 minutes to make its way across, with the transit ending at 1804hrs GMT.

The next transit will be on 13th November 2032.

Mercury.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You forgot the 'don't bloody look directly at it you numpties' warning. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cat O'Falk said:

There's a A transit of Mercury today when the planet Mercury passes directly between the Sun and the Earth, becoming visible against (and hence obscuring a small portion of) the solar disk. During a transit, Mercury appears as a tiny black dot moving across the disk of the Sun.

Mercury will begin to creep onto the sun's disk at 1235hrs GMT and it will take about 5 hour and 28 minutes to make its way across, with the transit ending at 1804hrs GMT.

The next transit will be on 13th November 2032.

Mercury.jpg

Wow Mercury is tiny/the sun is huge/or both - thanks Cat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, En Passant said:

You forgot the 'don't bloody look directly at it you numpties' warning. :facepalm:

To be fair, I didn't tell anyone to look at it.  :P

• Haha 1

In Blade Runner the dying replicant (played by Rutger Hauer) says "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

So is Betelgeuse going to explode in 2020? In 2019 the giant red star Betelgeuse, which marks Orion's right shoulder, is the dimmest it’s been in almost a century. Normally, Betelgeuse is among the 10 brightest stars in the sky. However, it began dimming in October, and now it has faded so much it isn’t even in the top 20. Sudden dimming could mean that it is about to explode in a supernova. Maybe tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

On 02/01/2020 at 20:51, bladan said:

So is Betelgeuse going to explode in 2020? In 2019 the giant red star Betelgeuse, which marks Orion's right shoulder, is the dimmest it’s been in almost a century. Normally, Betelgeuse is among the 10 brightest stars in the sky. However, it began dimming in October, and now it has faded so much it isn’t even in the top 20. Sudden dimming could mean that it is about to explode in a supernova. Maybe tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm checking the news every single day. We will (probably) be alive to see it. A second moon in the sky.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/09/science/betelgeuse-supernova-fading.html?auth=login-email&login=email

On 02/01/2020 at 19:51, bladan said:

In Blade Runner the dying replicant (played by Rutger Hauer) says "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

"it is about to explode in a supernova"  this would mean that it exploded long time ago 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:49, Grim Up North said:

Wow Mercury is tiny/the sun is huge/or both - thanks Cat.

In reality Mercury would be even smaller it is bigger as its closer to us than the sun 

34 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, I'm checking the news every single day. We will (probably) be alive to see it. A second moon in the sky.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/09/science/betelgeuse-supernova-fading.html?auth=login-email&login=email

My beloved comrade, that's bullshit that was invented by Logos, the incompetent magician. You can't observe reality. Quantum mechanics and John 1:1-5. Darkness didn't comprehend it but it does now. That's because his bullshit time dimension has failed. All of his stupid 1/11/2020 plans will fail tomorrow, on Saturday 11 Jan 2020. Venus moving to Aquarius tomorrow... Indeed. That's bullshit! Venus is going to be free!

44 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Well, bladan might be a long shot for that 

On 10/01/2020 at 22:57, The Quim Reaper said:

Well, bladan might be a long shot for that 

Did you know that bladan has a blog

51 minutes ago, bladan said:

Did you know that bladan has a blog

http://grailis.blogspot.com/

A very active blog, too.

1445091360_Screenshot2020-01-11at17_09_20.png.a8b6797e9ac29bb3fb489a21e2d48cf2.png

1734031860_Screenshot2020-01-11at17_08_26.thumb.png.2111b0510c62b3e91abd0a73fa172f65.png

Oh, and nice touch.

• Haha 1

Beteigeuze is still getting dimmer, by the way. The apparent magnitude is now below 1,6 (yes, I am checking the betelbot daily!):

Now, they are expecting a minimum later this month - but what if it doesn't happen? The star is currently dimmer than at anytime in the past 125 years.

On 02/02/2020 at 19:12, gcreptile said:

Beteigeuze is still getting dimmer, by the way. The apparent magnitude is now below 1,6 (yes, I am checking the betelbot daily!):

Now, they are expecting a minimum later this month - but what if it doesn't happen? The star is currently dimmer than at anytime in the past 125 years.

Betelgeuse has stopped dimming, may be getting brighter again. Nobody knows why, moodswings imo.

https://www.sciencealert.com/betelgeuse-has-officially-stopped-dimming

• Like 1