Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Betty Ford

This is indeed cheering news, for those of us still holding out hopes of 2007 deadpool points for the old lady. I mean, she's so ill the Christmas shopping could kill her!

This is indeed cheering news, for those of us still holding out hopes of 2007 deadpool points for the old lady. I mean, she's so ill the Christmas shopping could kill her!

Well her husband did die the day after Christmas last year so maybe her sad holiday memories from last year could do her in before the end of this year. In any event she should remain on deathlist. She will be the next presidential death (president or first lady), I am sure of it. I dont think she will live as long as Lady Bird or her husband did, she would be lucky to live to her 90th birthday at this point.

Well her husband did die the day after Christmas last year so maybe her sad holiday memories from last year could do her in before the end of this year. In any event she should remain on deathlist. She will be the next presidential death (president or first lady), I am sure of it. I dont think she will live as long as Lady Bird or her husband did, she would be lucky to live to her 90th birthday at this point.

Well it's been a year since Gerald bit the dust and she's made it through. I for one was not so sure that she would live a year without him.

Well it's been a year since Gerald bit the dust and she's made it through. I for one was not so sure that she would live a year without him.

Well nevertheless Betty Ford should remain on deathlist for 2008. She was hospitalized for an undisclosed problem this year, she hasn't been seen in public since her husband's funeral a year ago, contrast that with fellow presidential widow Nancy Reagan who is still very active with her late husband's presidential library and everything. Betty wasn't even there at the ceremonies that named the aircraft carrier after Gerald or the commemorative postal stamp. She will turn 90 in 2008 and is already the third oldest first lady in history (after Bess Truman and Lady Bird Johnson) not to mention the rumors that she is under hospice care.

Thats nice. Thank you.

It has now been over a year since her husband was buried and she was last seen in public, heck even Lady Bird Johnson managed to make a public appearance or two within a year of her death. I suppose only the Ford family, medical professionals and the secret service even know what her condition is. Her husband's office in California shut down last spring, she hasn't even been on her own clinic's board for the past couple years, her daughter now fills that funcion. I know part of it might be the fact that her husband's museum and library are all the way in Michigan but I mean seriously the lack of an obituary is the only sign she is even still alive.

seriously the lack of an obituary is the only sign she is even still alive.

Yeah, but there but for the grace of God lies a fair chunk of the human race, or summat.

Guest you're sick people

Leave her alone. She's a sweet old lady and will probably live as long as long as Lady Bird Johnson.

Leave her alone. She's a sweet old lady and will probably live as long as long as Lady Bird Johnson.

If she'd lived as long as Lady Bird Johnson we'd be still celebrating because Lady Bird died last year, so to get two former first ladies on the same day would have been quite a turn up for the books.

A point though for spelling "you're" correctly, I'd have wagered dollars to donuts that a drive-by ranter would get that wrong 10 times out of 10

If she'd lived as long as Lady Bird Johnson we'd be still celebrating because Lady Bird died last year, so to get two former first ladies on the same day would have been quite a turn up for the books.

A point though for spelling "you're" correctly, I'd have wagered dollars to donuts that a drive-by ranter would get that wrong 10 times out of 10

I assume he meant that Betty Ford will live as long as Lady Bird meaning roughly 94 1/2 years old. Personally I doubt Betty Ford will live that long, she is less active than Lady Bird was in her last few years even though she had suffered a stroke that left her partially disabled. It has nothing to do with her being a nice lady or not, just an observation that she disappeared off the face of the earth as soon as her husband went into the ground. I did find an article online that mentioned that a month ago the Ford family "had a quiet Christmas with Betty Ford" but pretty much all we can gather is that she still lives at the home in Rancho Mirage. When Ford family press releases are vague its usually a bad sign. In the months before Gerald's death they kept saying "oh he is doing ok, still recovering and spending quiet time at home" but in reality he was dying and getting worse day by day. According to Tom DeFrank in his book "Write it When I'm Gone" Betty Ford has suffered from clotting in the legs and thats why she was hospitalized last April and it wasn't the first time.

I have done numerous searches on the Internet for Betty Ford news in the past few months and I can find nothing about her current status. There's been nothing about her in the last year except her surgery and her being absent from the funeral of her close friend Lady Bird Johnson. I thought after President Ford died that within a year or so she would be featured in a television inter view (e.g. Barbara Walters special) where she would talk about her life with Gerald ford as have other widowed first ladies in the past or make some sort of public appearance at a tribute to the president.

However that has not been the case. I suspect through intuition and based upon what DeFrank wrote about in his book that Betty Ford is now in a very frail if not bedridden state. It sounds like the phlebitis and the final decline and death of her husband all hit her at once and between her grief and failing health she is at a very low point. Her 90th birthday will occur on April 8 of this year in a little over two months. I wonder if there will be some sort of birthday gala or party and would she be able to attend. How would something like that be acknowledged? My gut feeling though also tells me that she will probably not last for much longer.

Today is her 90th birthday, she made it to this milestone but she is still suspiciously absent from the news. I just did a google news search and sure enough there are a number of articles about her 90th birthday such as the Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, Michigan having events to mark it but nothing about her attending any birthday parties either there or in California, by contrast when her husband turned 90 he had a party at the library in Michigan and at the White House with President Bush, both of which he attended. The most I could find out about her condition was an article that said that friends of the family planned to call her on her birthday, showing she is at least with it enough mentally to take phone calls. Still, the fact that she is nowhere to be seen on her big birthday is a sign that her health is not very good at all. Its like when the Reagan library celebrated birthdays and anniversaries in his later years and the last couple years of Gerald Ford's life, the library and everyone is almost mentioning her in past tense even though she is still alive. I still think there is a good chance she will go this year.

For the record it has been one year since she has been in the news (besides notes of her absence at events commemorating her husband and at Lady Bird Johnson's funeral) and that was for a hospitalization around her birthday last year; and it has now been over 15 months since she was last seen in public and that was on the day her husband's body went into the ground in Michigan.

Guest ted
Today is her 90th birthday, she made it to this milestone but she is still suspiciously absent from the news. I just did a google news search and sure enough there are a number of articles about her 90th birthday such as the Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, Michigan having events to mark it but nothing about her attending any birthday parties either there or in California, by contrast when her husband turned 90 he had a party at the library in Michigan and at the White House with President Bush, both of which he attended. The most I could find out about her condition was an article that said that friends of the family planned to call her on her birthday, showing she is at least with it enough mentally to take phone calls. Still, the fact that she is nowhere to be seen on her big birthday is a sign that her health is not very good at all. Its like when the Reagan library celebrated birthdays and anniversaries in his later years and the last couple years of Gerald Ford's life, the library and everyone is almost mentioning her in past tense even though she is still alive. I still think there is a good chance she will go this year.

For the record it has been one year since she has been in the news (besides notes of her absence at events commemorating her husband and at Lady Bird Johnson's funeral) and that was for a hospitalization around her birthday last year; and it has now been over 15 months since she was last seen in public and that was on the day her husband's body went into the ground in Michigan.

Hope she lives for much longer, but in terms of trends Reagan and Ford died at 93. Jane Wyman didnt live longer than 90, which could be a bad age for wifes of future presidents such as Betty Ford... Nancy has a few more!

This inspiring event honored President Gerald and Mrs. Betty Ford with the third annual Spirit of the Desert Award for their long association and support of St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and its charity, Episcopal Community Services. More importantly, it raised much-needed funds for ECS which provides medical, social, housing and many other services for individuals and families in crisis.

Former first daughter Susan Bales Ford accepted a lovely crystal bowl and tribute book for her mother.

She thanked everyone and said that her mother was in very good health but, at 90 years of age,

“she doesn't attend many functions but she loves hearing about them.”

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20081123/L...LES09/811230333

I can just picture the scene...

Betty - "So how many 'potentials' do we have for the clinic"

Susan - "Plenty, mother, plenty....it was a free bar, just as you planned..." <evil laughs>

Today marks 2 years as a widow, I have to say I never thought the old gal would last even this long.

Woman who tried to assasinate Gerald Ford released from prison

No statement from Betty Ford in any of the articles I have read about this. That may not be all that surprising since usually famous people don't respond to matters like this but it just points out the fact that the man who tried to kill her husband has been released and she has not appeared in public in two years and seven months and the last time she has personally released a public statement about anything and not just a message relayed from one of her children was two years ago upon the death of Lady Bird Johnson. It bodes well for her that there hasn't been any news of recent hospitalizations but I also heard a rumor that she is under hospice care.

President Barack Obama has been in contact with all the living Presidents and their first ladies and even Nancy Reagan over a misunderstood comment he made about her husband months ago. Also in an interview this June Nancy Reagan upon the fifth anniversary of her husband's death mentioned what she thinks of a few things Obama has done and also mentioned that Michelle Obama has also called her about advice. The Obamas however have never communicated with Betty Ford to my knowledge nor has there been any statement from her about what she thinks of the new President and First Lady or what her husband would have thought. It could just be that the Ford's aren't as newsworthy as the Reagan's and/or are more private but I also think her health has a lot to do with it as well.

Today is the third anniversary of her husband Gerald Ford's death and she has been MIA from the public since the day of his funeral. She is 91 going on 92, I think she should stay on the list, she has fared better than I thought but I still think she is just lingering on by a thread and will go before any other former president or first lady. If we need to take anybody off the list maybe we should take Nancy Reagan off, she has had a few health issues being in her late 80's but I think she will be around for a few more years yet. With Betty Ford I strongly feel if we take her off we will miss a hit.

I read somewhere that Barack Obama visited the Ford museum and grave site last July 14 (what would have been his 96th birthday) and supposedly Betty Ford was there. She just keeps a low profile and it isnt big media news. She is 92 though and still in frail health.

Well July 14th would have been her husband's 97th birthday, no word on whether she was present at the museum this year. Her current health status is a big mystery and will probably continue to be unless she ends up in a hospital or dies.

Guest Guest

My opinion is that this woman might make it to 100. She's a very tough old gal. Despite having serious alcohol problems in the past, she just keeps living. She might have trouble walking and stuff like that but her heart and lungs are strong. And this lady still has a sharp mind. Nowadays, she just leads a very private life.

Betty Ford's daughter has given us an update on her mother's health.

She's fine," Bales says. "People have to remember, she's 92 years old. She turns 93 in April, and I don't see any reason why she wouldn't celebrate her 93rd birthday." Her mom still lives at Rancho Mirage in California, Bales says, but spent the summer in San Diego to escape the heat. "All of us kids are in and out, visiting her," she says. "I'd say one of us is there every week. "She keeps up on the political campaigns in California, she knows what's going on in the world...."She's still extremely opinionated."

I visited the Gerald Ford Presidential Museum in Grand Rapids, Michigan in September and asked the staff if they knew how Betty Ford is doing and they said she is still living at home but has curtailed public appearances and travel outside of California. I still think she should be kept on the list for 2011, she will be 93 next year, the same age her husband was when he died.

Betty Ford should remain on DL until she does in fact pass away. After reading the article in which her daughter discusses her current situation, I'm kind of thinking that the daughter is exaggerating a bit. Mrs. Ford is almost 93 years old; she has survived breast cancer, 1974, alcohol & pill addiction, 1978, heart surgery in 1987, operations for blood clots in 2006 & 2007, and a 40 + year battle with degenerative arthritis. As a former First Lady, she gets the best medical care that is available and I would imagine that she has round-the-clock assistance/nursing care in her home. An ordinairy citizen with that type of health history would have died 20 years ago. I don't know that she is in a terminally ill condition, but common sense tells one that she really can't last much longer. I'd say at maximum....2-3 years, if not this year.