Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Betty Ford

If you are lucky you all will live as long as this time around and make some headway in eternity.

As you may understand, eternity isn't very popular here.

regards,

Hein

Guest crystalcanyon
If you are lucky you all will live as long as this time around and make some headway in eternity.

As you may understand, eternity isn't very popular here.

regards,

Hein

Well than Kiss my Heinie! It would be VERY SAD to loose you!! Privately e-mail me if desired!!

rvhuntr@earthlink.net

oh well.....12 under my belt....rvhunter@frontiernet.net

Guest Mike
With her husband now dead, I think she should be considered for 2007. For all we know she could have just lost the only reason she had to keep on living.

These days not too many women pine away following their husband's deaths. Sorry guys. ;)

then dear sir, explain to me how Lady Bird Johnson is still hanging around?

With her husband now dead, I think she should be considered for 2007. For all we know she could have just lost the only reason she had to keep on living.

These days not too many women pine away following their husband's deaths. Sorry guys. ;)

then dear sir, explain to me how Lady Bird Johnson is still hanging around?

My God! You don't actually think that the LBJ's were in love do you?

I don't think that Mrs. Ford was a very good choice for this year's list. We all saw her at the funeral, very few people her age can stand for as long as she did at various times during the services, and in high heels at that. I also dont think that the ex Prez will drag her down with him. Sure, she loved him alot, but think about all her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, she has them to think about too. I think Zsa Zsa Gabor would have done better in her place.

My grandmother is 89 going on 90 (shares the exact same birthday as Zsa Zsa Gabor, 2/16/17, coincidentaly) and she is in about as good a shape as Betty Ford in spite of having a heart attack last summer. A number of people approaching 90 can still walk around a little bit you know and just becuase someone is still walking doesnt mean there time isnt approaching either, you can always just drop dead of a a sudden attack, aka stroke, heart attack, etc. Not all death bound elderly people are bedridden you know. Not to jinx my grandma or Betty Ford or anyone.

Betty Ford may go this year or she may go the route of Lady Bird or Bess Truman but her age alone and recent death of her husband alone should be a reason. One's age at one spouse's death should always be taken into account, for instance Lady Bird was only 60 when her husband died, therefore it would have the same toll as it has on an 88 year old Betty Ford. Sure Bess Truman is a counter example, but the point is that a widow in her late 50's early 60's at her husband's death is less likely to die than a widow in her late 80's.

On the positive side for Betty it is also shown that a elderly woman tends to have a higher rate of survivability a year after her husband's death than it is for an elderly man to survive a year after the death of his wife. This applies to Pat Nixon going 10 months before Richard Nixon at ages 80/81, the same thing happened to my maternal grandparents, except grandpa went only two months after grandma and she was 83 and he was 88. Contrast that with my other grandma who became a widow at 56 and has outlived her husband by 33 years and counting.

I work in an old people home (kitchen). We have had a few couples.

We had a couple, both in their 90s, married for over 60 years. He died two days after she did.

This year, there was a couple in excellent health aged 89 and 90. Her health deteriorated, and she died. Her husband of 67 years died within 2 months of her. He was very active before.

Another example, we had a couple of similar description to above except she was a very unwell lady. She is dead, and now her husband is near death being fed via tube.

From my own family, two sets of my Great Grandparents died within a year of one another.

In 1964 my Great Grandfather died suddenly, exactly a year later his wife died.

In 1975 another set of my great grandparents celebrated their golden wedding. He died a couple of months later, and she died within 6 months of his death.

I work in an old people home (kitchen). We have had a few couples.

We had a couple, both in their 90s, married for over 60 years. He died two days after she did.

This year, there was a couple in excellent health aged 89 and 90. Her health deteriorated, and she died. Her husband of 67 years died within 2 months of her. He was very active before.

Another example, we had a couple of similar description to above except she was a very unwell lady. She is dead, and now her husband is near death being fed via tube.

From my own family, two sets of my Great Grandparents died within a year of one another.

In 1964 my Great Grandfather died suddenly, exactly a year later his wife died.

In 1975 another set of my great grandparents celebrated their golden wedding. He died a couple of months later, and she died within 6 months of his death.

On the other hand, I had grandparents, one of whom died in July of 1980 (grandfather) and the other in January of 1997 at the age of 100 (grandmother). Another set of grandparents - grandmother died in March of 1975 and grandfather died in December of 1990. Another set of grandparents (my parents married multiple times each) - grandfather died in January of 1973 and grandmother died in May of 1991. My father in law died in February of 1995 and my mother in law is still alive. My father died two years ago and my mother is still blowing and going. All of them had good relationships and were devoted to each other.

Guest Guest

She's a nice old lady. I hope she'll make it to 90.

Guest gene

She looked pretty good for such an old bagle at the funeral. Unless she dies of a broken heart I think the old girl has some life left in her.

well she din't look to good from where i was sat, i will give her 6 months max :P .. its the domino effect with these old timers that have been together for 50 years, :):angry:

I think it can go either way, she could be gone next week, or she could live to be 105. In my experience it is simply left up to chance. My grandparents on my dads side died less than two years apart (1999 grandma, 2001 grandpa), but my grandparents on my moms side died almost twenty-three years apart (1984 grandpa, 2007 grandma). You can never really know. Also, outside appearance can be decieving, my grandma on my dads side was weeding flower beds in May of '99, and died after a short stay in the hospital on that fourth of July. But my grandma on my mom's side got frailer and frailer over a period of about five years until she was rushed to the hospital three weeks ago and was pronounced dead twenty-two hours after she was admitted.

well she din't look to good from where i was sat, i will give her 6 months max :P .. its the domino effect with these old timers that have been together for 50 years, :):angry:

I think it can go either way, she could be gone next week, or she could live to be 105. In my experience it is simply left up to chance. [...] You can never really know.

Gee, I'm glad you cleared that up.

Guest Gene

well she din't look to good from where i was sat, i will give her 6 months max :) .. its the domino effect with these old timers that have been together for 50 years, :):(

I think it can go either way, she could be gone next week, or she could live to be 105. In my experience it is simply left up to chance. [...] You can never really know.

Wow, great job being a dick for no reason...at least I said something about an issue.

Nothing more has been reported on Mrs. Ford's recent hospitalization or what the nature of her condition is. It is eerily kind of like how discreet President Ford's hospital visits were (a cause of death has never even been released). I'm wondering now if Lady Bird Johnson will outlive Betty Ford?

Betty Ford was the only living first lady not to attend the funeral of Lady Bird Johnson, her daughter Susan Bailes Ford represented the family. I mean even 86 year old Nancy Reagan showed up. Just like her husband in his last few years it appears Betty has ceased or all but ceased public appearances and a hospitalization where they try to sound optimistic but are rather vague about what is wrong. In fact her last public appearance was her husband's funeral services. I think Betty Ford will end up as a statistic of a recently widowed elderly person that dies within a year of the death of their elderly and long term spouse. If that were to happen it would mean the death of a president and two first ladies within a year (2006/2007) just like Pat Nixon, Richard Nixon and Jackie Kennedy in 1993/1994, which would also mean another similar patter with the death of a president (Nixon, Ford), the death of that president's wife (Pat Nixon, Betty Ford) and the death of a first lady whose husband died over 30 years earlier (Jackie Kennedy, Lady Bird Johnson).

Also as a side note Betty Ford at 89 is already the third longest lived first lady ever behind Bess Truman (97) and Lady Bird Johnson (94).

Guest Guest

ive heard shes in a hospice-what does that mean?

Wow, great job being a dick for no reason...at least I said something about an issue.

And exactly what would that something be? You said absolutely nothing of value in an entire paragraph of rambling irrelevance.

Please enlighten me. What was the point you tried to make?

It means you've heard a rumour.....of course if you could source it, that be interesting.

I assume you mean hospice care as in care at home for the critically ill, I doubt a woman of her stature would be put into a nursing home which is sometimes called a "hospice".

Anyways as a note to everyone else, I know this sounds like just a rumor but I knew there was something eerily familiar about it and sure enough when I looked at Gerald Ford's thread an an unregistered user posted a similar message just days before his death.

Former President Gerald Ford is reportedly very frail and is now receiving hospice care at his California home. Reports say that he only has a few short weeks to live.

Look at the time stamp, this was just three days before Gerald Ford's death.

I cant confirm that these two guests are one and the same since I don't know how to do an I.P. address trace on here but both use the words hospice and are somewhat similar in style. Perhaps this person has some inside knowledge in regards to the Ford family like a staffer in Rancho Mirage or the library or at museum in Michigan.

If she is in hospice care and given all the secrecy around it that is a sign the end might be near for her as well. Gerald Ford and Lady Bird Johnson were also under hospice care between their final hospitalizations and death and Betty Ford was in the hospital for a few days in April. Hospice care would explain her absence from Lady Bird's funeral quite well.

Death may come in threes this time for former first families (Gerald Ford, Lady Bird Johnson, Betty Ford).

I think Gene was being very depressing in attempts of telling you how all his relatives dropped dead. But the fact of the matter is that this thread is not titled 'Show and tell' so Gene should face up to his boring self and find other people who might be interested in what happened to his grandparents.

Please enlighten me. What was the point was you tried to make?

I cant confirm that these two guests are one and the same since I don't know how to do an I.P. address trace on here

The IP addresses are different :blink:

Guest Guest

And exactly what would that something be? You said absolutely nothing of value in an entire paragraph of rambling irrelevance.

Please enlighten me. What was the point you tried to make?

Seems my point was quite clear, But I guess things don't come so easy fore some people . The point was the old girl could drop tomorrow or she could drag on for another ten or fifteen years. A forum is a place for people to talk, so what if I used a few examples. Get over yourself. Nobody ever said you had to read the whole thing if you didn't feel like it.

A new book has just been written by Thomas DeFrank, a journalist who held several off the record interviews with President Ford in his last years and became close friends with he and Mrs. Ford. The book provides some interesting insight into the health of the Fords the last few years. We learn for the first time officially what President Ford's death was caused by and that is cardiovascular disease and congestive heart failure. But DeFrank also tells the reader that Betty Ford was quite ill herlself in her husband's last months. During the same time that he was getting the pacemaker at the Mayo Clinic, Betty was undergoing surgery for phlebitis or blood clots in her legs at a Colorado hospital not far from where they vacationed. DeFrank writes that when he last visited President Ford in November of 2006, he was confined to a hospital bed in his study and Mrs. Ford was almost as feeble as he was. This explains why she was so weak and frail when shown on television during his funeral ceremonies. And the "undisclosed" surgery that Mrs. Ford had in April of 2007? Well it turns out that she underwent a 6 hour operation to remove more blood clots from her legs.

Betty Ford is a few months short of her 90th birthday. She has lost her husband of almost 60 years and undergone two major operations of the same type all three in the past year. She has not been seen in public since then or heard from except for the short statement that was released upon the death of Lady Bird Johnson. All of these things considered, I would advise Deathlist to keep her on for '08, unless she doesn't survive the year. These circumstances sound like a promising candidate.

By the way, the book is called "Write It When I'm Gone, Remarkable Off The Record Conversations With Gerald R. Ford".