Sign in to follow this  
Handrejka

Names we dislike

I think its the combination toastie....

1 minute ago, charon said:

I think its the combination toastie....

Er no, they're all fucking ridiculous names except for the two I mentioned. 

I cannot stand that cunt anyway, the mere sight of him makes me feel nauseous.

• Like 1

Olive and Eunice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Boudicca said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/jezebel.com/map-sixty-years-of-the-most-popular-names-for-girls-s-1443501909/amp

Very interesting. State by state for six decades. Hollywood, Elvis and First Ladies being a big influence. 

Hawai'i had "Kayla" in the early 2000s. I was waiting for Hayley, or Kayley, or even Kay-Lee or something like that.

Edit: Questions nobody ever asked:

Was the switch from Jennifer to Jessica in 1985 inspired by David Lynch's "Dune"?

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Hawai'i had "Kayla" in the early 2000s. I was waiting for Hayley, or Kayley, or even Kay-Lee or something like that.

Edit: Questions nobody ever asked:

Was the switch from Jennifer to Jessica in 1985 inspired by David Lynch's "Dune"?

or Murder She Wrote?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Strange how 'Kay' is not, and has never been, a popular name - yet in recent years it has been hijacked to form part of many chavvy made-up names.

I've never been fond of CarolAnn. I have, however, always considered myself fortunate not to have been named Sunbeam or Moonshine or Clover or Leaf or some such shit - mom was a hippie, dad thought he was an avant garde artist, and I was born in what was termed an "informal" commune in Westchester County, NY, which meant my parents were typical 60s crazies who got into the free love end of things and marched against everything else but were allergic to living without modern conveniences. It's what happens when counterculture flourishes in NYC suburbia.

I never said it worked - just what it was. 

• Like 2

On 2018-04-13 at 13:10, Toast said:

I'm afraid this attitude is responsible for the current UK trend for twee names (Daisy, Poppy et al), pet names instead of the formal version* (Charlie, Alfie) and the unnecessary lengthening of names (Evie instead of Eve, Rosie instead of Rose).  People need to realise that they are naming an adult, not a baby.  Their offspring will only be babies for the blink of an eye, so FFS give them a proper name which isn't cutesy or childish on an adult. 

* This in particular makes me cross, as I am a victim myself.  Many names have multiple short versions or nicknames, and depriving a child of options is selfish.

I completly agree Toast

• Thanks 1

Darren.

I’m haunted by that name. Ex husband was a Darren, my best mate is a Darren and my boss is a Darren.

Best mate I just call Sis, Boss is called boss and when I see ex husband (one in a blue moon) he gets called every swear word known to the human race to his face.  To be fair he probably hates the name Phil ;):D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On girly names for middle class kids I always wonder why they never thought it through:

All rise for Judge Poppy!

Dr Daisy will see you now!

Doesn't work.

I'm looking at YOU Mr Jamie Oliver. Yet another reason to have been banned from some other forums (and hiding his books in shops) but well worth it.

Btw MK, there is nothing wrong with people called Rob. I know three and they are great altogether.

• Thanks 1

eva4ptth553dlbgtfzjf.gif.fedae5ece1c7166bb10e5d02f371c64c.gif

Save clicking de link.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, philheybrookbay said:

Darren.

I’m haunted by that name. Ex husband was a Darren, my best mate is a Darren and my boss is a Darren.

Best mate I just call Sis, Boss is called boss and when I see ex husband (one in a blue moon) he gets called every swear word known to the human race to his face.  To be fair he probably hates the name Phil ;):D 

Good call. Darren's are universally wrong 'uns

• Like 2

Oh get you with yer new fancy 4G North of the Wall saving folk from clicking links :lol:

I'll be resetting my notifications about reported posts to "never" then!

ETA Clare / Claire.

I have nothing against the name but for some reason every lurve rival conquered had it and Fairground Attraction even had a song about it that I won't inflict on you.

• Sad 1

Do as thy will ™ The McLeod.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

Fairground Attraction even had a song about it that I won't inflict on you.

Fairground fucking Attraction!!!

Just think, Sean and Deathray and the like are too young to know who they are, unless they google it. Lucky buggers.

• Haha 4

Eddie Reader fine figure of a gal.

Mental tho.

53 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

All rise for Judge Poppy!

When I was a kid I often used to read news items about court cases that mentioned Mr Justice This and Mrs Justice That.

I was puzzled by how many parents came to give their children a name that would be so appropriate for their future careers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, charon said:

Eddie Reader. Speccy ginger huge- jawed gal.

FTFY and... Sorry msc

Lots of editing. It had to  be eeee eeeee eeee, perfect!

** I envy the juniors too.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 05:46, theoldlady said:

Todd. Hillary. 

My mum's a Hilary, note the 1 l.

I've also seen my younger niece's, my youngest nephew's, and my great nephew's names mentioned. 

I'm so very sorry people.  I SHOULD have started by saying that I (along with my younger sister) created the (girl) baby naming rules that are disallowed: 
NEVER name your daughter after:
1) Flowers (Rose, Iris, Daisy, etc)
2) Months (April, May, June....)
3) Abstract ideas/emotions (Faith, Hope, etc etc).

We agreed to those rules when we were in our teens, even dumb teenagers know enough not to saddle a child with such poppycock.
As a geology major allow me to add please do not name your child after a mineral (or Crystal...).  There was a 'Beryl' in my geology class..... she may have been fetching but that name....fingernails - chalkboard.... Ruby, Sapphire, etc are pole dancer names.  Or your pet.

SC

(PS: My daughter's middle name violates this (Rose) but that was probably my fault coupled with the fact the hospital demanded a full name like the day after she was born, and frankly we never bothered with what her middle name might be.  Rose was her GG-Grandmother's name and the link to her Native American heritage so I suggested it, wah lah).

Rose and May* are the current "default" middle names here in the UK.  People seem to display a woeful lack of imagination when it comes to middle names.  Mary, Ann and Jane occupied this slot when I was born.  A little later every girl was Something Louise.

*May is a double offender under your rules.  A month AND a flower.

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Rose and May* are the current "default" middle names here in the UK.  People seem to display a woeful lack of imagination when it comes to middle names.  Mary, Ann and Jane occupied this slot when I was born.  A little later every girl was Something Louise.

If it was n't Louise it was Marie. 

May is another of those nick names for Mary. My paternal grandmother was May which I always found odd as it wasn't her birth month. I only found out recently she was actually called Elizabeth Mary and was known as May.

My great grandmother was a Rose (surname was Plant, I kid you not) so that's more of my family covered. 

2 hours ago, Toast said:

My daughter's middle name is May not through lack of imagination but because it goes well with her first name, which is not common but certainly not daft.  I don’t know why I bothered though because I usually just call her Bellend, Jugs or Egg. 

• Haha 1