Sign in to follow this  
Handrejka

Names we dislike

OK, so Mom may have gotten the 'no middle name' thing right. Didn't realize they were such a problem. :)

One son's middle name is Leander and the other is Royce. Both are the grandfathers' middle names. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 18:40, the_engineer said:

Nevaeh

I really hate that name. There are a couple of girls in my son's class whose parents decided to call their daughters that. 

11 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I'm so very sorry people.  I SHOULD have started by saying that I (along with my younger sister) created the (girl) baby naming rules that are disallowed: 
NEVER name your daughter after:
1) Flowers (Rose, Iris, Daisy, etc)
2) Months (April, May, June....)
3) Abstract ideas/emotions (Faith, Hope, etc etc).

We agreed to those rules when we were in our teens, even dumb teenagers know enough not to saddle a child with such poppycock.
As a geology major allow me to add please do not name your child after a mineral (or Crystal...).  There was a 'Beryl' in my geology class..... she may have been fetching but that name....fingernails - chalkboard.... Ruby, Sapphire, etc are pole dancer names.  Or your pet.

SC

(PS: My daughter's middle name violates this (Rose) but that was probably my fault coupled with the fact the hospital demanded a full name like the day after she was born, and frankly we never bothered with what her middle name might be.  Rose was her GG-Grandmother's name and the link to her Native American heritage so I suggested it, wah lah).

One of the clever things that Roy Clarke did in Keeping Up Appearances was to name the four sisters with flower names. Hyacinth, Daisy, Rose and Violet but not draw any attention to it.

• Like 1

"Alternative" spellings of perfectly good names. "Hayley" is fine but "Hailee" most definitely is not. :evil:

I had to deal with a pikey female called Chardonnay yesterday.

And she had a gold clown necklace and hoop earrings. 

Made me weep for humanity and feel dirty dirty at the same time.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Boudicca said:

FTFY and... Sorry msc

Lots of editing. It had to  be eeee eeeee eeee, perfect!

** I envy the juniors too.

Sending the therapy bill to Boudicca, Mods, Deathlist Forum Towers...

:D

• Haha 1

The name Phillipp, not Philip, or Philipp, or Phillip, just Phillipp, two L's and two P's. Can we ever come to a consensus on how to spell the name?

12 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

The name Phillipp, not Philip, or Philipp, or Phillip, just Phillipp, two L's and two P's. Can we ever come to a consensus on how to spell the name?

It's Philip.  One L, two Ps (first and last letter).  All the other versions are misspellings, IMO.

The feminine version is Philippa.  One L, double P inside.

From the Greek Φιλιππος  which transliterates as Philippos.

The surname Phillips usually has a double L.

Phlippin Hell.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

My daughter's middle name is May not through lack of imagination but because it goes well with her first name, which is not common but certainly not daft.  I don’t know why I bothered though because I usually just call her Bellend, Jugs or Egg. 

Some good ideas there for Jamie Oliver.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Boudicca said:

On girly names for middle class kids I always wonder why they never thought it through:

All rise for Judge Poppy!

Dr Daisy will see you now!

Doesn't work.

I'm looking at YOU Mr Jamie Oliver. Yet another reason to have been banned from some other forums (and hiding his books in shops) but well worth it.

Btw MK, there is nothing wrong with people called Rob. I know three and they are great altogether.

Rob is an awesome name.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, philheybrookbay said:

I had to deal with a pikey female called Chardonnay yesterday.

And she had a gold clown necklace and hoop earrings. 

Made me weep for humanity and feel dirty dirty at the same time.

That reminds me, there's a woman at work whose granddaughter is called Gypsy. 

As soon as she started junior school she started get called pikey.

I'm not a parent, but don't parents to be discuss names with anyone to avoid things like that happening?

Also I dealt with a customer yesterday called Gavin Gavin. There really ought to be a law against that kind of thing.

8 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I'm not a parent, but don't parents to be discuss names with anyone to avoid things like that happening?

There's regular entertainment to be had here:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Toast said:

There's regular entertainment to be had here:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names

Especially when members of other forums decide to go over and make friends :rolleyes:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/2197937-Help-Difficult-choice-of-boys-names-Sean-Daniel-or-Balonz

I'm banned (again) but thinking of making a new account posting for opinions on Zorders, or Banshees.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 06:43, Lard Bazaar said:

Kid has just reminded me there was a girl at her nursery called Treacle.  

There is a Treakle Parish in County Clare, Ire. from whence my people came, I think I mentioned in silly place names.  Not sure why you’d name a kid that.

22 hours ago, msc said:

Sending the therapy bill to Boudicca, Mods, Deathlist Forum Towers...

:D

Sorry for the late reply. DLHQ is dealing with the matter :unsure: 

I suspect it may be a demotable offense :o

• Haha 1

On ‎14‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 01:40, the_engineer said:

Nevaeh

Sounds like a lotion or hand cream of some sorts. Stupid name indeed!

• Like 2

According to the woman who was yelling it in Aldi, it's pronounced Nuh - vay - uh.

A former Tennessee magistrate who ruled that a child couldn't be named Messiah is running for a circuit court judgeship in next month's primary.

The Knoxville New Sentinel reports Lu Ann Ballew is challenging the incumbent, Carter Moore, in the 4th Judicial District.

In 2013, Ballew was Cocke County child support magistrate when she ruled that Messiah should only be used to refer to Jesus and ordered the name removed from an 8-month-old's birth certificate. The parents were only seeking to change the baby's surname.

The ruling was overturned, and Ballew was removed as magistrate. The Tennessee Board of Judicial Conduct later issued a public censure of her. In 2014, she ran unsuccessfully in the Cocke County General Sessions Court race.
SC

26 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

A former Tennessee magistrate who ruled that a child couldn't be named Messiah is running for a circuit court judgeship in next month's primary.

The Knoxville New Sentinel reports Lu Ann Ballew is challenging the incumbent, Carter Moore, in the 4th Judicial District.

In 2013, Ballew was Cocke County child support magistrate when she ruled that Messiah should only be used to refer to Jesus and ordered the name removed from an 8-month-old's birth certificate. The parents were only seeking to change the baby's surname.

The ruling was overturned, and Ballew was removed as magistrate. The Tennessee Board of Judicial Conduct later issued a public censure of her. In 2014, she ran unsuccessfully in the Cocke County General Sessions Court race.
SC

What an ignorant woman.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

What an ignorant woman.

Fuck all that, I was quite taken with  'Cocke' County.:lol:

On 4/17/2018 at 03:14, CarolAnn said:

OK, so Mom may have gotten the 'no middle name' thing right. Didn't realize they were such a problem. :)

One son's middle name is Leander and the other is Royce. Both are the grandfathers' middle names. 

I have a middle name CA.

If I told you.....I would have to kill you.:D

• Haha 1

Pray continue young Sir Y5UOb.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I have a middle name CA.

If I told you.....I would have to kill you.:D

Why so shy? I think Ballbag is a great middle name :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5