Guest Banshees Scream

Walter Cronkite

Walter "Man on the Moon" Cronkite has got to check out in '06.  How much longer can he hold on?

It will be a whiles yet......after all when he was part of "you've got a bunch of guys here about to turn blue" he wasn't just whistling dixie after that when he said "Oh boy!".

Walter likes life too much to toss in his chips just yet.

Agreed. He's still making public appearences too (or, as far as one is willing to argue TV appearences "public" before anyone gets on me for that) and he looks healthy as an ox.

Or as an old ox anyhow :ph34r:

Walter "Man on the Moon" Cronkite has got to check out in '06.  How much longer can he hold on?

It will be a whiles yet......after all when he was part of "you've got a bunch of guys here about to turn blue" he wasn't just whistling dixie after that when he said "Oh boy!".

Walter likes life too much to toss in his chips just yet.

Agreed. He's still making public appearences too (or, as far as one is willing to argue TV appearences "public" before anyone gets on me for that) and he looks healthy as an ox.

Or as an old ox anyhow :lol:

I agree. He does not look like he is ready to die yet.

And clearly the powers that be agree that Uncle Walter is in great form and healtyh shape and probabbly even boinking a few ladies and or laddies nightly tooo so he is no longer on the annual list and has been moved to general population.......

Just had a tirlateral phone call with Uncle Walter and Unkie Wilfie. We discussed the effects of Gamma rays on man in the moon marigolds and the rising cost of oatmeal as well felt tip magic markers.

Walter conversed steadily while Unckie Wilfie let out an occasional snort, chortle or grunt to show he was listening. Walter is deeply saddened by the tragic loss of his former badminton partner Bill Beutel and is unsure who he will get to replace him. I suggested we all meet up at Marie's Crisis or maybe Arthur's Tavern later on and have a few in remembrance of Sweet Bill (not to be confused with the former establishment known as Sweet Basils around the corner from Arthur's and Marie's).

I'll let you fine folk know tomorrow how it went.

And clearly the powers that be agree that Uncle Walter is in great form and healtyh shape and probabbly even boinking a few ladies and or laddies nightly tooo so he is no longer on the annual list and has been moved to general population.......

Well...if he's boinking he's got to be careful, at that age, he could wind up like Orville Reddenbocker or Nelson Rockefeller, men that died happy.

Well just as expected! The man must have discovered SPAM. This 89 year old man has a woman in her 50's.

Of course he will explore as he plans to live.

Though that idea won't last very long.

According to Uncle Walter's quote in OoO's linkage there she is actually 65.....Walter prefers the more mature sort of lady after all.

Happy 90th birthday to TV news veteran Cronkite.

With a much younger wife a optimistic outlook would be a heart attack at noone, but i'm afraid the former anchorman Walter Cronkite should probably be left off next years list.

He's still working as well. Then again, we'll get him in the end, assuming we can survive long enough!

He's still working as well. Then again, we'll get him in the end, assuming we can survive long enough!

He's pretty much in semi-retirement these days. He came out of the woodwork the other month to give his backing to Katie Couric.

He's pretty much in semi-retirement these days. He came out of the woodwork the other month to give his backing to Katie Couric.
AmaZing how many people turned their backs on Couric...I hear her ratings are heading towards the cellar, this can only be good news for Uncle Walter and Unckie Wilfie who have vowed to revamp CBS shortly.

Having a spare moment of time to tend to some matters of lesser importance I happened across mention the other other of Uncle Walter and a Pizza shack with his name on it. I must tell you all though, that I personally do not care much for that thin crust pizza stuff. Pizza should be made like a real man with plenty of body to it

This little ditty came hot out of The Village Voice a weekly rag which in no way resembles its original form.....sorry news to our old friend Clay Felker, but the point of this is thus, even though the Voice is dead the articles exist in a new tabloidish stack of inked sheets.....

Counter Culture

That's Dough Way It Is

A new thin-crust pizza flourishes on the DL

by Robert Sietsema

January 18th, 2007 2:41 PM

Now that's a Happy Meal

Willie Davis/Veras

Cronkite Pizzeria & Wine Bar

133 Norfolk Street

212-375-1500

"It's named after Walter Cronkite, right?" A couple of associates and I were sitting in Cronkite Pizzeria, a spare and obscurely located subterranean space on Norfolk decorated with neon clocks. With its halfhearted stab at décor, the restaurant reminded us of a basement rec room in Davenport, Iowa. The waiter wrinkled up his brow when I asked about the name, then launched into a long and unconvincing explanation: "One of the owners is a sculptor. He did a sculpture called Cronkite. I don't think it had anything to do with the newsman. But then I've never seen the sculpture. See that neon clock at the end of the room?" We squinted. "That clock was specially made for this restaurant. See the caged figure in the middle of the clock? That's one of the owner's sculptures. But it's not Cronkite."

Despite the awful name, Cronkite is a worthwhile addition to the city's vast pizza panorama. It's a project of Michael Ayoub, the guy who brought you Williamsburg's Fornino, a pretty good wood-oven pizza place right above the L stop on Bedford. With the exception of a handful of appetizers, pizzas are the only edibles on Cronkite's menu, which also boasts a lengthy and pricey wine list, but who's gonna splurge for a bottle of Brunello to wash down a pizza? That the place remains near-empty many nights is the fault—according to our talkative waiter—of timing, location, and lack of exposure in the news media. Then again, maybe Cronkite is cursed.

There's nothing wrong with the pizzas, though, which come in two sizes: a 10-inch individual pie, and a 16-inch regular pie that easily feeds two. Made in a gas-fired brick oven, the crust is similar to what one finds in Central Italy: thinner than the standard American pie, with crunchy areas competing with squishier ones. Our favorite that first evening was Tartufo, the most expensive pie on the menu ($36/$51). The pizza melts three cheeses—fresh mozzarella, ricotta, and fontina—as a creamy platform for a blizzard of shaved black truffles, which look like wood ash on white snow. Very Japanese, visually speaking. The pungent odor assails the nostrils, and the truffles leave a miraculous aftertaste that persists for hours. Do I love this pizza? You bet! It would be worth it to go hungry for the day to split this gem with a friend. There is a problem devouring it first thing in the meal: Nothing else on the menu can top it.

In spite of this sad fact, several other pies verge on the spectacular. The Rustica ($12/$20) gobs the pie with shiitake mushrooms, mozzarella, a soupçon of tomato, and guanciale. At first, our helpful waiter tried to dissuade us: "That pie is way salty," he warned. He was right about the salinity, but confined to the little strips of cured hog jowl (from Chelsea's sainted Salumeria Biellese), it provided the perfect counterpoint to the bland woodsiness of the 'shrooms. Depending on mozzarella, crushed garlic, and a handful of cockles, the Vongole is similarly dope. Among the eight pies we tried, from a list of 30, only the Pesto ($11/$19) bombed. Once baked, its undercarriage of caciotta piccante cheese turns into rubber, the cherry tomatoes go soggy, and the cooked pesto develops a strange color and odor. It's like a toxic chemical spill on your pie.

Today I got an email allowing me to vote for speakers to come to the university for the leadership conference. One of the potential names was Walter Cronkite. If he can still make his way to and speak and conferences, he must be doing fairly well for himself.

I was at the PBS fundraiser a few weeks back and old Uncle Walt showed up and grabbed a few moments of air time going on about he adores public televison and rarely watches anything else.

Sadly uncle Wilfie was not there.

Cronkite is indeed in great shape and great health and shows no signs of slowing down.

Cronkite is indeed in great shape and great health and shows no signs of slowing down.

I hope you are likewise BB. Good to see you back.

all the best,

Godot

I just noticed that one of my copies of A Reporter's Life by Walter Cronkite himself seems to be accumulating dust. I haven't checked though to see if it is the one with the brass bookmark I bought at the street fair on 10th street many years ago. It would be a shame if that bookmark became lost.

I came across something which alleges to be his house up on Brimley's Vinyard (known as Martha's to the common folk). It's a dreadful looking place----I wouldn't want to be caught naked in there.

and then of course thoughts of yesteryear when he was having trouble walking upright: p378a.jpg

Good call Death List! That Cronkite didn't pitch up for PBS's New Year's Concert from Vienna, this being his 25th year as host, is telling. http://www.patriotledger.com/entertainment...chor-of-concert

I hope not. If push came to shove I'd rather WC was in the safe 30 than the 20 or so on the list who will or may die in the next twelve months.

He may be iconic but he is also one of the world's biggest dicks to other people. Cherish his work, lots of talented people are jerks.

He may be iconic but he is also one of the world's biggest dicks to other people. Cherish his work, lots of talented people are jerks.

Well, lots of talented people are jerks - I know some.

Lots of untalented people who think they are talented are also jerks - I know more.

Walter Cronkite is rumored to be "gravely ill" according to CBS News.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...1,2126473.story

Some are speculating that he's about to die soon. Of course, we've heard this many times before in the past year alone (I'm talking to you, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, Patrick Swayze, Gene Barry, Stephen Hawking, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Elizabeth Taylor, Ted Kennedy, Fidel Castro, Richard Attenborough, Robert Byrd, etc.) so I wouldn't be surprised if this was yet another tease.

Anyway, if the rumors are true and he does indeed pass away, it's a truly sad death of an extraordinary man. But his legacy will endure for generations to come. (On the other hand, the deathlister in me wants to say "YES! Finally, a REAL celebrity has died this year!")

OOOoooooo Boy...could this be the one...

From Comcast.net---"NEW YORK — CBS isn't commenting on reports that veteran newsman Walter Cronkite is gravely ill. The 92-year-old former anchor of "The CBS Evening News," who has been ailing for some time, has reportedly taken a turn for the worse, according to TVNewser and other online sites. CBS News spokesman Kevin Tedesco had no comment on Friday."