Guest Banshees Scream

Walter Cronkite

God love you Walter. I'm going to miss you.

....and why didn't you hold another day or 3 to coincide with the 40th of the moon landing?

Ever the media man - he knew when to capitalize on a good story.

RIP Walter. Gone now. When's the site gonna update?

Probably when it isn't the middle of night where the guy who updates the site is. :lol:

CNN are having a field day.

It's knocked Michael Jackson off the news which is a good thing, until Joe Jackson can think of something to put him back in the headlines

If it wasn't for Michael Jackson his death would have been the most significant of the year easily.

If it wasn't for Michael Jackson his death would have been the most significant of the year easily.

We're not going to have that argument again are we? :lol:

This came as I shock to me as I thought he'd croaked years ago. I really must try and keep up. Like the majority on here I was heartily glad of the brief relief from the Jacko sob fest. The man's been dead three weeks, time to let it go me thinks.

No doubt.

But Walt definitely deserves a honorable mention, or depending on who else dies this year, perhaps a runner up status for most significant death of 2009.

No doubt.

But Walt definitely deserves a honorable mention, or depending on who else dies this year, perhaps a runner up status for most significant death of 2009.

Yeah he is a big one, but I think we might have another big fish or two this year. :lol:

They said Walter Cronkite retired in 1981. I was three years old when he retired. The news channels in America are going crazy with the news that he passed. I'm trying to be respectful but what is the big deal? :ghost3:

I have never heard of him. Too young?

TV news anchor; "CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite" (1962-81). Voted "the most trusted man in America" in 1973. Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom (1981).

i say hes a definit 2005 canidate

5 years later....

They said Walter Cronkite retired in 1981. I was three years old when he retired. The news channels in America are going crazy with the news that he passed. I'm trying to be respectful but what is the big deal? :lol:

Not all of us were three. Some of us are above the ancient and decrepit age of 40 and grew up listening to Walter Cronkite every night. Fortunately he wasn't one of your generation's hysteria mongering CNN anchors who look like idiots while struggling to fill 24 hours with non existent news.

Cronkite merely reported the news in a neutral, calm manner which is something today's journalists couldn't do with a gun to their collective heads.

Everyone wonders why I never used my journalism degree - it's because journalism forgot how to report the news.

They said Walter Cronkite retired in 1981. I was three years old when he retired. The news channels in America are going crazy with the news that he passed. I'm trying to be respectful but what is the big deal? :lol:

Not all of us were three. Some of us are above the ancient and decrepit age of 40 and grew up listening to Walter Cronkite every night. Fortunately he wasn't one of your generation's hysteria mongering CNN anchors who look like idiots while struggling to fill 24 hours with non existent news.

Cronkite merely reported the news in a neutral, calm manner which is something today's journalists couldn't do with a gun to their collective heads.

Everyone wonders why I never used my journalism degree - it's because journalism forgot how to report the news.

I'm all for old fashioned, laid back, news reporting. Alright Walter! :ghost3:

No obit yet. Is this because they can't think of a snappy headline?

Might I suggest 'Walter Gone-kite' ?

'that's the way it was'

But I don't think the Grim Reaper needs any help with finding a clever title.

Yeah, but that doesn't need to stop us from playing the game too!

'that's the way it was'

and Bobby Robson, bless his baggy shorts, has got his headline immediately. Poor old Walter still just 'dies'. Gone and Forgotten?

'that's the way it was'

and Bobby Robson, bless his baggy shorts, has got his headline immediately. Poor old Walter still just 'dies'. Gone and Forgotten?

Crafting the proper obit notice for Uncle Walt will take time. You can't just dash some words on a slip of paper and think that that will suffice. No, Walter needs and deserves better.

'that's the way it was'

Crafting the proper obit notice for Uncle Walt will take time. You can't just dash some words on a slip of paper and think that that will suffice. No, Walter needs and deserves better.

You haven't read the Guardian one then? Puts the boot in a bit...Link

And I hate the way they merrily mix the 'other lives' in with the biggies too. I'm sure their line is that each death is as important to their families blah blah blah...

"And finally...Cronkite dies."

"Cronkite becomes yesterday's news"

The consequent pressure to condense or omit meant that events in vast tracts of the globe remained unknown across the world's most powerful nation.

Ah, so it's all his fault then. That explains so much. :rolleyes:

When is he Going to Get his deadline?

Behold-------------it has been done.

I am currently not reading any book.