Guest Banshees Scream

Walter Cronkite

Guest Banshees Scream

TV news anchor; "CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite" (1962-81). Voted "the most trusted man in America" in 1973. Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom (1981).

i say hes a definit 2005 canidate

I seem to remember suggesting Mr Cronkite a while back, but somebody said he's still broadcasting and getting around so doesn't sound like he's on the elevator to the stars just yet.........

• Like 1

actually 4H, Walter Cronkite was on the list last year, but for reasons too complicated to go into now, he didn't make the cut for 2004. So, there is definitely consensus with respect to both your throwing his name out but also having doubts whether he's top 50 material. Too bad, because I feel there's a joke about him wearing Conkrite boots when he goes to be made, I just haven't thought of it yet...

Guest Death List Watcher

His death would sadden me, yet not surprise me. In fact, speaking with my father in late 2003, my father already thought Mr. Cronkite had died. He was a great intellectual and public figure during the 20th Century. What American has not seen the film of his announcement of President Kennedy's death? Walter Cronkite is a true American icon.

Walter Cronkite is a true American icon.

And if he was presenting Fox News he would be a true American Con

Guest walter cronkites mom

Umm...no, he wouldnt.

TV news anchor; "CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite" (1962-81). Voted "the most trusted man in America" in 1973. Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom (1981).

Walter Cronkite is one of the few TV news anchors that you could classify as being"fair and balanced." You don't find too many of them these days in the United States. Especially on the Fox News Channel.

Guest devonator

I know you Brits are not quite aware about uncle walter as we are in North America but the man is anything but fair and balanced unless you consider Far Far left wing to be fair and balanced.

And since he left the chair at CBS over the last 20 years, his radical left wing politics have been on display for all too see.......Walter makes no bones about the fact that he is a diehard liberal and that that tainted his views on CBS!

I got the feeling here that you chaps probably consider BBC as fair and balanced too ........as per your ridicule of FOX which is truly the only network that actually has both sides fairly represented which drives the left wing batty....

Luckily, now here in Canada, we can receive FOX legally as opposed to the appalling drivel on the state owned CBC which less then 5 percent of Canucks watch...

Uncle Walter an American Icon??? Yeah......right up there with Alger Hiss.....

Uncle Walter an American Icon??? Yeah......right up there with Alger Hiss.....

Alger Hiss, who, unfortunately for Deathlist watchers, and his family and friends actually died in 1996 aged 92, could be described as a true American icon. Not the America of the Christian right, but that of Thomas Jefferson et al. The only thing louder than the Judge's gavel during the McCarthy inspired trials was the whirling noise as the founding father's of this great nation span in their graves.

His only crime perhaps was choosing the wrong country to practice his freedom of expression. I know the same could be said of communist Russia, but I don't think they ever claimed to be the land of the free.

A Lawyer, he was readmitted to the Bar in 1975, after the government's misconduct during his trial was revealed.

Just a thought <_<

I know you Brits are not quite aware about uncle walter as we are in North America but the man is anything but fair and balanced unless you consider Far Far left wing to be fair and balanced.

I got the feeling here that you chaps probably consider BBC as fair and balanced too ........as per your ridicule of FOX which is truly the only network that actually has both sides fairly represented which drives the left wing batty....

Devonator, your remarks lack credibility.

Guest ThePatriotUSN

Walter Cronkite NOT fair and balanced? Fox News LEGITIMATE news?

Come now- Devonator, your comments are definitely not credible. Obviously you come from a very conservative viewpoint. Richard Nixon thought Walter to be a very reliable and great newscaster, while John Kennedy thought him to be a pain in the you-know-what.

Fox News is the tabloid version of news- it is a disgrace to the great newsmen like Cronkite. That man IS an American icon, and worthy of deep respect.

Saw Cronkite on Wolf Blitzer last week. He was talking about Dan Rather's departure. He still looked very alert and healthy. A good man and helluva journalist, I don't think he's going anywhere soon.

Guest The Dawg....

His Wife died today... does that count for anything.

I managed to pick him on our dead pool at work.... Come on Walter

Guest Lorimarie

The death of Betsy Cronkite comes two weeks before their 65th wedding anniversary. My deepest condolences to Mr. Cronkite, his children, and grandsons.

Guest Guest

well Lord Callaghan died 10 days after his wife died so ,yes,i guess it does count.Guess we betetr watch this space for old Walter to join his late spouse then...

Guest Guest

well Lord Callaghan died 10 days after his wife died so ,yes,i guess it does count.Guess we betetr watch this space for old Walter to join his late spouse then...

It wouldn't suprise me to hear of Cronkite's passing. He is after all almost 90 years old. He just lost his wife of 65 years. And I believe I heard somewhere where he underwent heart bypass surgery a few years ago. This would be a very deep and profound loss to our country. One of the last if not the last of "the good guys".

Guest Shumoon

Devonator:

One doesn't get to be voted "Most Trusted Man In America" by representing the "far far left wing". Walter Cronkite is a moderate. During the Vietnam War, President Lyndon Johnson enjoyed the support of the most trusted man in America until the Tet Offensive, at which point Mr. Cronkite assessed that the war could, at best, end in stalemate and not a U.S. victory.

At that point President Johnson said privately, "If I've lost Walter Cronkite, I've lost Middle America." Shortly thereafter, Mr. Johnson broadcasted to the nation that he would not seek reelection to the presidency. Mr. Cronkite's integrity and sincerity was so sound that it brought down a U.S. president. Since his retirement, the world hasn't seen anything similar to the credible journalism he practiced.

Devonator:

One doesn't get to be voted "Most Trusted Man In America" by representing the "far far left wing". Walter Cronkite is a moderate. During the Vietnam War, President Lyndon Johnson enjoyed the support of the most trusted man in America until the Tet Offensive, at which point Mr. Cronkite assessed that the war could, at best, end in stalemate and not a U.S. victory.

At that point President Johnson said privately, "If I've lost Walter Cronkite, I've lost Middle America." Shortly thereafter, Mr. Johnson broadcasted to the nation that he would not seek reelection to the presidency. Mr. Cronkite's integrity and sincerity was so sound that it brought down a U.S. president. Since his retirement, the world hasn't seen anything similar to the credible journalism he practiced.

Well said Sir,

I guess in Devonators worldview "far far left-wing" includes everyone who isn't holed up in a ranch in Montana with a large collection of assault rifles and a radio tuned to Rush Limbaugh.

Walter Cronkite is a true American icon.

And if he was presenting Fox News he would be a true American Con

Ha ha ha...

:dead:

Honestly, that's a pretty bad shot there, bucko :lol:

Devonator:

Well said Sir,

I guess in Devonators worldview "far far left-wing" includes everyone who isn't holed up in a ranch in Montana with a large collection of assault rifles and a radio tuned to Rush Limbaugh.

It would really be nice if all journalists in today's world could be as dignified and professional as Mr. Cronkite was.

It would really be nice if all journalists in today's world could be as dignified and professional as Mr. Cronkite was.

Iam sure were all hoping that soon the keyword for Mr.Cronkite

will be "was" :old: