Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sam Solitude

Dale Winton

From that Sun link:

A PAL of Dale’s last night told how the star had an affair with a famous actor who was not openly gay.

Steve Allen said Dale would sneak off a lunchtimes when the pair worked at UBN radio in the ’70s.

DJ Steve said: “Years later I said to Dale, ‘So, where did you go? And he said, ‘I was seeing someone’.

“I said, ‘Unlike you to keep that quiet. You usually tell me straight away’. Then he told me he was seeing a very famous actor.”

Steve said the actor is now dead. He added: “I discussed it with a mutual colleague and said I didn’t even know this (actor) guy was gay.

“Apparently he was bisexual. The person who worked with him said, ‘We always thought he was a bit camp’. Well he went out with Dale.

You’d laugh if you heard who it is.”

pondering-smiley-emoticon.gif

Instantly thought Peter Gilmore. Dunno why...

• Like 1

I thought Gareth Hunt but Peter Gilmore is a good call. 

• Like 1

RIP, always liked him, when that person was found dead in his swimming pool after a house party the press were unfair on him. 

• Haha 4

Rumour was he there, no?

Anyway I have vague memory of the Glasgow Survival Alphabet as having "D , is for Dale Winston, ya bas', but unfortunately it looks like the site is gone now.

16 hours ago, Handrejka said:

I thought Gareth Hunt but Peter Gilmore is a good call. 

Please don't let it be Inspector Morse :-/

On 18/4/2018 at 21:47, time said:

When you hear that beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

I hear some people in Liverpool are paying their own little tribute by piling their supermarket trollies to the gunwales and wheeling them out of the store without paying. As Dale used to say: "If you can get past security without hearing the beep,you know you've won the home run on Supermarket Sweep!"

• Haha 1

On 19/4/2018 at 23:22, Toast said:

From that Sun link:

pondering-smiley-emoticon.gif

For some reason I'm thinking Dad's Army

11 minutes ago, TheFunkyPhantom said:

For some reason I'm thinking Dad's Army

Not the DeathList favourite? Actually, I did wonder if it might have been John Le Mesurier. 

2 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Not the DeathList favourite? Actually, I did wonder if it might have been John Le Mesurier. 

That pairing would certainly make you laugh

:-/

Well quite. Who were you thinking of then? 

35 minutes ago, TheFunkyPhantom said:

Please don't let it be Inspector Morse :-/

The actor who also played Regan in The Sweeney,  "a bit camp" ?  Doubt it.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Who would have thought Rock Hudson? Or Liberace,come to think of it? Who knows what they're like off screen? Years and years before he came out,I had TV's Victor Mildew give me the glad eye...mind you I was standing outside a public lavatory at the time(I was waiting for me old mum to come out...well that's my excuse)

12 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Well quite. Who were you thinking of then? 

Arthur Lowe...Or Mr Peacock.from Are you Being Served.Ronnie Barker even.He was big in Porridge at the time.Or Leonard Rossiter...there were rumours about him around the time of the late lamented Operation Yewtree. Just a few ideas to mull over

13 minutes ago, TheFunkyPhantom said:

Arthur Lowe...Or Mr Peacock.from Are you Being Served.Ronnie Barker even.He was big in Porridge at the time.Or Leonard Rossiter...there were rumours about him around the time of the late lamented Operation Yewtree. Just a few ideas to mull over

I have trouble imagining anybody wanting to sneak off at lunchtime to fuck Arthur Lowe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I have trouble imagining anybody wanting to sneak off at lunchtime to fuck Arthur Lowe.

Dale had unconventional taste in men

40 minutes ago, TheFunkyPhantom said:
46 minutes ago, Toast said:

Who would have thought Rock Hudson? Or Liberace,come to think of it? Who knows what they're like off screen? Years and years before he came out,I had TV's Victor Mildew give me the glad eye...mind you I was standing outside a public lavatory at the time(I was waiting for me old mum to come out...well that's my excuse)

You're talking about sexuality.  I was talking about being camp, which isn't necessarily the same thing.  

(Are you saying Liberace wasn't camp?!)

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

You're talking about sexuality.  I was talking about being camp, which isn't necessarily the same thing.  

(Are you saying Liberace wasn't camp?!)

True.But in this instance what with this other fella being a 'bit camp' and,presumably,taking Dale up the ar*e of a lunchtime, the two terms would appear to be synonymous. And happily so. To be camp in a hyper-masculinised culture such as ours takes either huge bravery or stupidity. I can't see anyone inclined to be predominantly straight risking ridicule and,as is so often the case,opprobrium and violence,if they weren't...just for a giggle

Ian Lavender ffs.

WHo else .....

1 hour ago, TheFunkyPhantom said:

True.But in this instance what with this other fella being a 'bit camp' and,presumably,taking Dale up the ar*e of a lunchtime, the two terms would appear to be synonymous. And happily so. To be camp in a hyper-masculinised culture such as ours takes either huge bravery or stupidity. I can't see anyone inclined to be predominantly straight risking ridicule and,as is so often the case,opprobrium and violence,if they weren't...just for a giggle

Yes, but you were talking specifically about John Thaw.  Now for all I know he might have been secretly bisexual, but I cannot imagine him being camp. 

That was my point.

As for an example of someone who AFAIK was straight, but camp, I give you Bruce Forsyth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheFunkyPhantom said:

Dale had unconventional taste in men

Maybe, but Dale would have been in his 20s at the time and I can't imagine an overweight, narcoleptic 50 something would be anyone young man's choice for a lunchtime tryst no matter how unconventional his tastes.  I could however see Jon Pertwee as a possibility.

Anyway I've spent far too long already pondering on which two now dead men may have been fucking 40 odd years ago so I will leave it there, other than to say Lewis Collins put on a convincing camp voice a couple of times in The Professionals.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Maybe, but Dale would have been in his 20s at the time and I can't imagine an overweight, narcoleptic 50 something would be anyone young man's choice for a lunchtime tryst no matter how unconventional his tastes.  I could however see Jon Pertwee as a possibility.

Anyway I've spent far too long already pondering on which two now dead men may have been fucking 40 odd years ago so I will leave it there, other than to say Lewis Collins put on a convincing camp voice a couple of times in The Professionals.. 

He also played a decidedly camp and outre replacement Sheriff of Nottingham in a late Robin of Sherwood episode. I just hope the red tops eventually suceed one day in enticing the cash enchanted Mr Allen to loosen his tongue and clear up this showbiz mystery once and for all. I shall leave it there too,ducky...for now

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, charon said:

Ian Lavender ffs.

WHo else .....

Good call!

11 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I always thought Lewis Collins was gay.