Sign in to follow this  
YoungWillz

Avicii

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Columbine was nineteen years ago today.

Avicii was 19 for a whole year once.

Take the digits of today - 20/04/2018 - 2+0+0+4+2+0 =8 and 1+8 =9 =89.

Avicii was born in 89.

Coincidence?

Yup. :lol:

Big Countdown and Rachel Riley fan?

15 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Gotta be one of the biggest "at their chart peak" deaths of all time really, up there with Jim Reeves and 2Pac.

5 or 6 years past his chart peak, to be fair – he was already naff enough in 2014 that he was producing for Coldplay. By 2015 he was getting cut from a Madonna album. 

Only finding out now he had a #4 hit last year, though, featuring Rita Ora. It's always 2012 somewhere.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Big Countdown and Rachel Riley fan?

Not unless she has grown a cock.

• Haha 2

Usually when I see a non-athlete celebrity trending on Twitter, my first thought is that they're dead (as you can see I'm a very fun person).

But that was certainly not the case with Avicii. Saw him trending yesterday afternoon, assumed he was releasing a new album or something, and bam - he's dead. In hindsight, it shouldnt've been very shocking, since he had his fair share of health issues. But still... it doesn't seem real. RIP.

What's with that extra i at the end?  For some reason it makes me say it in my head as A-vee-see, whereas I gather it's A-vee-chee.

If it was Avici I would automatically pronounce it the Italian way, so why complicate matters.

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

What's with that extra i at the end?  For some reason it makes me say it in my head as A-vee-see, whereas I gather it's A-vee-chee.

If it was Avici I would automatically pronounce it the Italian way, so why complicate matters.

Because he was a smug twat?

I struggle to understand the whole thing.

He was a DJ? A record producer? Lyricist? Composer?

What the fuck was he??

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

19 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Never fucking heard of him either.

Me neither. I thought it was a racehorse when I saw the thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hmm, when it comes to music I'm generally down with the kids.

Where I fall down is on TV "celebs". I don't generally watch these new shows everyone bangs on about as I don't bother with Sky or Netflix etc etc so my knowledge of these folk is far too limited (I despise a lot of Pointless rounds as a result!).

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Hmm, when it comes to music I'm generally down with the kids.

Where I fall down is on TV "celebs". I don't generally watch these new shows everyone bangs on about as I don't bother with Sky or Netflix etc etc so my knowledge of these folk is far too limited (I despise a lot of Pointless rounds as a result!).

Pointless TV rounds - you'd be surprised how often you'd survive them just by thinking "Right, who's been in Doctor Who again?"

Every pointless actor (or actress) has been on that show, nearly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Usually when I see a non-athlete celebrity trending on Twitter, my first thought is that they're dead (as you can see I'm a very fun person).

But that was certainly not the case with Avicii. Saw him trending yesterday afternoon, assumed he was releasing a new album or something, and bam - he's dead. In hindsight, it shouldnt've been very shocking, since he had his fair share of health issues. But still... it doesn't seem real. RIP.

This.

When I saw Avicii trending, I exactly though the same thing. His death is shocking given he was 28. 

RIP. I don't think we really have any other musicians that are known internationally atm. Zara Larsson maybe??

He must of been swigging bottles of absinthe every night.A fucked Pancreas in his mid 20s . If your drinking that heavily clearly your missing something in life.

There’s a lot of vitriol directed at Avicii from irate people that don’t know who he was. How unjust is that?

It’s justified, however, from those that listened to the utterly lamentable bilge he put his name to.

• Like 2

On 21/04/2018 at 14:58, Toast said:

Apparently the "avicii" is the lowest level of hell in Buddhism. Learn something every day.

24 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Apparently the "avicii" is the lowest level of hell in Buddhism. Learn something every day.

According to Wikipedia that's Avīci.

Avīci-punishable sins

There are various evil acts which can lead one to be committed to the eternal torments of the Avīci Hell. People reborn in Avīci generally have committed one or more of the Five Six  Grave Offenses:[3][4]

• Intentionally killing one's father.
  • Intentionally killing one's mother.
  • Killing an Arhat (enlightened being).
  • Shedding the blood of a Buddha.
  • Creating a schism within the Sangha, the community of Buddhist monks, nuns and laypersons who try to attain enlightenment (eternal happiness).
  • Making crappy music by twiddling knobs.
  • Haha 3

Wow, that was kind of unexpected since he had other health problems in the past, but I guess it shouldn’t be too surprising...

Unexpected/ not too surprising.

Make your mind up.

Boozehound tops himself. Gee, booze wasn't gonna kill him at that age, he worked hard. Mental issues killed him.

* might have been why he boozed, but that not the question........

• Like 3

Probably the biggest popular music death since Cobain.  Did he overdose on sidechain compression? (sorry: technical joke)

As mentioned above he was slightly past his peak, and having his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014 was a bad sign (no-one dies of just heavy drinking in their 20s).

His arrangement (I hate the word remix) of Drowning by Armin van Buuren is just beautiful, especially the way it was played on ASOT861 last week.

3 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Probably the biggest popular music death since Cobain.  Did he overdose on sidechain compression? (sorry: technical joke)

As mentioned above he was slightly past his peak, and having his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014 was a bad sign (no-one dies of just heavy drinking in their 20s).

His arrangement (I hate the word remix) of Drowning by Armin van Buuren is just beautiful, especially the way it was played on ASOT861 last week.

This is perhaps your observation, I'd suggest it is subjective.

How does one define 'biggest'? We get a lot of this biggest, most important, most popular, most well known etc...speculation on these boards.

It has already been pointed out that some people didn't even know who this guy was, you can include me in that list too and I'm quite fond of electronica and mixes.

Thus to say he is the biggest (etc etc superlative of your choice....) in the 24 entire years since Kurt Cobain is quite some statement...

More <superlative> than Prince? Bowie? Michael Jackson? Lemmy? and probably a host of others I can't recall right now?

NFM.

Why does there have to be a competition for biggest and most important anyway? He was an important artist to some and utterly unknown to others. I submit that under those terms you can't even say 'biggest' objectively.

• Like 3

I think it's because, as we said, musicians tend not to die while they're still selling records. Even those who died go under 35 in the past 10/20 years were slightly past their commercial prime (Lisa Lopes, Amy Winehouse). 

Actually, it's Aaliyah who was the last person with a career and a future to die, thinking about it.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:00, Thatcher said:

Cause of death confirmed as suicide. 

Which....tacking onto charon's remark...is true of any alcoholic.

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I think it's because, as we said, musicians tend not to die while they're still selling records. Even those who died go under 35 in the past 10/20 years were slightly past their commercial prime (Lisa Lopes, Amy Winehouse). 

Actually, it's Aaliyah who was the last person with a career and a future to die, thinking about it.

Melanie Thornton still had a career when she died a few  months later no?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Selena Quintanilla? (edit: yes, she died before Aaliyah but still was in her prime)