Joey Russ

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

New collaboration between Jack White and rapper Q-Tip.

Interesting, could have told me this was a new (or maybe really old) Eminem tune and I’d have more likely believed it.

SC

• Like 1

Okay, so here is the annual reveal of the UK Eurovision entry, sung by Sam Ryder, a Viking from Essex.

All well and good doing a song called Spaceman but I can’t help but think Babylon Zoo did it better.

• Like 3

Today’s the day!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Today’s the day!

Putin beware!!!

• Like 1

It’s been remixed again recently by producer Ben Kim, but the original song from ‘67 will always be the best.

• Like 4

Purple Zone - duet of Soft Cell and the Pet Shop Boys, lots of 80s stuff, the horns of Always On My Mind, melody of ... Coldplay's Viva La Vida?, overall pretty calculated, but hey, you get what you expect.

I do wonder why three of the four involved are open, looking good, but Chris Lowe, the always stoic keyboardist of the Pet Shop Boys, is wearing a mask and hiding his face and head. Immuno-compromised? Relatively ill? You know what I mean, and maybe it's even more than what I mean.

• Like 2

Chris has got a history of hiding behind masks, disguises etc.  He's always been enigmatic.

• Like 1

Was bantering online about cover versions yesterday which led me to share this estimable onslaught on a sixties classic. You know Haim are on form when Este's gurning takes hold. 

• Like 3

I've said it before, but I still think in outright terms of "how the fuck did this happen?" the biggest cover disparity has to be Richard Thompson covering Bowling for Soup: 

26 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I've said it before, but I still think in outright terms of "how the fuck did this happen?" the biggest cover disparity has to be Richard Thompson covering Bowling for Soup: 

Oh, I don't know - was there ever any excuse for Peter Glaze's demolitions of popular songs of the day? Link below to late period Peter monstering a Bowie classic.

5 mins and 43 seconds into this: 

YouTube doesn't allow embedding of the song on its own, apparently, so they do care about us, then!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Well, there was a certain antipodean covering the Divynils "I Touch Myself"; not so much "How did that happen" but "why?"

Someone thoughtfully put this mash up album together a few years back, on 1 April the Albums I Wish Existed (which offers up pretty much what you'd expect) blogged it, claiming the thing to be legit and scuppered only because the record companies involved couldn't agree copyright issues. Going on the comments, a few people fell for it. It, kinda works: 

Pabllo Vittar feat. Rina Sawayama - Follow me.

Kind of a banger, I like it, but I am totally the target audience.

In my head J Lo is singing and around me there's an orchestra of household sounds: refrigerator, PC, a tractor outside, raindrops over the metal ledge and ofc my cat's sniffling :)

Dark-ish lyrics, dark video, but the song absolutely slaps. She’s very talented.

Amazingly singer/songwriter Donovan is still with us, and still recording.  Here’s one from his new release this month.  Gotta think he’s DL material 2024+.  Very Deathlisty!

• Like 2

I love the absolute fuck out of this sort of trippy stuff from the 90s.

I don't know why I remember this from the mid-1970s but I do for some reason. Ronnie James Dio on this track - can you believe it?

• Like 1

OK Computer is 25 years old tomorrow. Absolutely genius album. Here’s one underrated track from it.

• Like 1

The Kunts did a brilliant job with their last single, getting Boris Johnson Is Still A Fucking Cunt to No.5 in the UK Christmas chart. Now, they’re back in time for the Jubilee, and aiming for No.2 (because they’ll never let it be No.1, let’s face it)