Joey Russ

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm

So a certain cultish radio show I'm familiar with has a "get-a-long" feature which involves playing something at least ten minutes long. When - several years ago - it played that in its entirety the response was pretty good and mainly involved people too young to have known Cat Stevens asking where they could get it. Not what I'd have predicted, frankly

Thats interesting, didn't know it ever even got on the radio anywhere. when it comes to young people listening to something old, I think the music still speaks for itself. I discovered his music by accident in my teens so I might be very biased (probably am) but if you ask me foreigner suite is an incredible musical composition. There's a really weak track on the album that ruins the entire album for me tho

Just now, odeon said:

Thats interesting, didn't know it ever even got on the radio anywhere. You when it comes to young people listening to something old, I think the music still speaks for itself. I discovered his music by accident in my teens so I might be very biased (probably am) but if you ask me foreigner suite is an incredible musical composition. There's a really weak track on the album that ruins the entire album for me tho

Not 100 I Dream, by any chance

Tbh - I'm not a mega Cat Stevens fan but I've always known people who were. I really rate 100 I Dream (which I first heard as the b-side of Oh Very Young) but I know it's not the most loved of his songs.

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

Not 100 I Dream, by any chance

Tbh - I'm not a mega Cat Stevens fan but I've always known people who were. I really rate 100 I Dream (which I first heard as the b-side of Oh Very Young) but I know it's not the most loved of his songs.

Nah I like that one lol,  I dislike how many times. Its just a bit too much 

tbh I don't expect anyone to be a big fan but I always find it refreshing to come across people who actually know him

1 minute ago, odeon said:

Nah I like that one lol,  I dislike how many times. Its just a bit too much 

tbh I don't expect anyone to be a big fan but I always find it refreshing to come across people who actually know him

LOADS of people know him - he was mega in the 70's - Catch Bull at Four was #1 in the US 

I know all the albums because my sister was big into him once over - even went to a talk he gave on Islam when she was a student - didn't convert or owt; just went to meet him

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

LOADS of people know him - he was mega in the 70's - Catch Bull at Four was #1 in the US 

I know all the albums because my sister was big into him once over - even went to a talk he gave on Islam when she was a student - didn't convert or owt; just went to meet him

ah I see, people in their 20's and younger don't really know him I meant, most I spoke about cat with was my girlfriends mother & some older collegues. might also be because im from the netherlands. Or that he decided to dissapear lol

43 minutes ago, odeon said:

ah I see, people in their 20's and younger don't really know him I meant, most I spoke about cat with was my girlfriends mother & some older collegues. might also be because im from the netherlands. Or that he decided to dissapear lol

Aye, 

Though I'm from England and partial to a few Dutch acts - seen Focus several times, played the likes of Shocking Blue to my radio listeners. All around the same era as prime-period Cat Stevens

• Like 1

I’m 24. I know of Cat Stevens. Not all of us are ignorant to anything other than Calvin Harris or Stormzy.

Anyway, have some Basildon’s finest. This is 6 years older than me, shock horror, and it’ll never not be brilliant.

• Like 5

^  We definitely need a

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I’m 24. I know of Cat Stevens. Not all of us are ignorant to anything other than Calvin Harris or Stormzy.

Anyway, have some Basildon’s finest. This is 6 years older than me, shock horror, and it’ll never not be brilliant.

It's telling of the types of people here that Violator-era Depeche Mode is always shown so much love (and rightly so).

On the other end of the spectrum, I've now listened through Madonna's full discography. I wasn't alive at her peak but am also not deaf, and knew her big hits beforehand. Another forum has been ranking all 227 of her songs. I'm not a member but took the plunge and listened in tandem with the eliminations. 

There was a lot of excellent stuff, but I think this song edges it:

And, for the record, my least favourite:

(Skip to 4:16 for the "Dick" breakdown)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

And, for the record, my least favourite:

(Skip to 4:16 for the "Dick" breakdown)

What in fuck’s name is that?! :lol:

• Haha 2

That's a nice list, lots of my favourites in the Top Ten (Vogue, Deeper and Deeper, even Drowned World/Substitute for Love). What's missing for places 1 and 2? Like a Prayer (good) and ... Frozen?? (meh)

Edit: Does anyone here really like Frozen? It's such a Yoga mum song.

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

That's a nice list, lots of my favourites in the Top Ten (Vogue, Deeper and Deeper, even Drowned World/Substitute for Love). What's missing for places 1 and 2? Like a Prayer (good) and ... Frozen?? (meh)

Edit: Does anyone here really like Frozen? It's such a Yoga mum song.

Yeah, Like a Prayer and Frozen are left but the former will probably win. Frozen is great but there are 4 or 5 better songs on Ray of Light.

One of my favourite Madonna songs is 'You'll See'.  

Here's a nice bit of ice skating to go with it.

Video blocked apparently, so we'll have to make do with the link if that works.

https://youtu.be/UOuxoDh5Svo?t=31

• Like 1

I know I normally post stuff by Radiohead or 90s indie rock and such, but this is a drum & bass anthem with a pleasingly pure airiness to it and it absolutely bangs.

On 26/06/2020 at 15:13, Miracle Aligner said:

It’s music for druggies by druggies. Absolute shite. 

The dearly departed Deathers’ damnation of The 1975. Anyway, here’s my favourite one by The 1975.

• Like 1

Got a sub and a 4k tv? :P

On 12/10/2020 at 06:11, Joey Russ said:

Tell that to an albino.