Joey Russ

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

There's a new song out by my favourite PC/Japanese pop inspired band Kero Kero Bonito, as a prelude to their next EP Civilization II.

According to the press release their inspirations for this one are, for example, Kate Bush (!), Björk (!!), and Jon Hassell (!!!!!!!!). And you have seen me posting videos of both Kero Kero Bonito and Jon Hassell here.

If they had also included David Bowie, they basically would have given me my personal all-time top five list.

Especially the mention of Jon Hassell (sadly picked in deadpools this year by me) is such a weird, weird connection between different worlds that also just happens to my favourite music. You know, like maybe, if you were a huge fan of Christopher Nolan movies and of Bill Murray, and they'd make something together...

That said, the new song, is just okay, ha! I don't hear these influences yet.

Recently discovered the FB page of Obscurest Vinyl - basically a meme fest offering up the faked covers for the nonexistent recordings of a sound-hound's dreams. 

HIGHLY recommended - https://www.facebook.com/1772993533028810/posts/the-merry-misadventures-of-vito-lovejoy-dude-croons-obscurestvinyl-vinyligclub/2773708902957263

153289425_2864650163863136_3591455379673

Great Saturday night song.  
It’s impossible not to like this..or to not be humming it hours later.  

The UK’s Eurovision* entry for 2021. It’s better than last year’s aborted effort, but then so is rabies.

*I love Eurovision and I’m unapologetic about that. If you want to slate it, particularly if you mention any politics you link to it, please write your opinion on a post-it, lube up your inbox and stick it on the top of your bowels. This song is toss, though.

As we're in Eurovision mode - I give you North Macedonia:

14 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Can't beat a little bit of Bach on a Sunday morning

Absolutely.

Though I disagree with the annotation that this is the 'best' version. A little too staccato for my taste :P.

Slightly prefer this, and still don't think it's the 'best'. It is however a more interesting watch to boot.

11 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

As we're in Eurovision mode - I give you North Macedonia:

Skimmed through that. Terrible slushy tripe.

But, since I can only actually pinpoint North Macedonia on a map due to a bunch of recent sporcle quizzes in which it appeared (thanks for pointing me at that site @Toast damn you), I believe it should win by a country mile. I'd far sooner have tripe from somewhere that could do with the publicity than any home grown substantially similar dirge.

• Haha 1

Big Bad Wolf by In This Moment off of their Black Widow album! 

One of the best German love songs: Stella Maris by Einstürzende Neubauten feat. Meret Becker.

Still love it, so beautiful, so tragic! I still got the CD.

From 1996... time flies really fast...

• Like 2

New albums out by Lana Del Rey and Pharoah Sanders. Especially the latter makes me happy, otherwise I might have been tempted eventually to pick him in deadpools.

4 hours ago, Sir Charms said:

The Detroit home that appears in this Gorillas video is about to hit the market (if you have a spare $400K).  It’s located at 226 Hendrix St.  How the lads discovered and chose that home is anyone’s guess.

$400k (£290k) for an 8-bedroomed detached house :o Where I live, you’d struggle to get a 2-bed for that.

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/basildon-bstatistics-vegas.html

Detroit has a certain reputation of course, but on balance I'll take the 6 extra beds I think. :P

Massively off topic. Hey ho.

Marginally back on topic Billericay is quite nice. For Dickie, who's doing very well.

34 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Marginally back on topic Billericay is quite nice. For Dickie, who's doing very well.

Going back off topic, is 'Billericay Dickie' really filthy or is it Ian's delivery of it and my dirty mind?

40 minutes ago, Toast said:

Going back off topic, is 'Billericay Dickie' really filthy or is it Ian's delivery of it and my dirty mind?

Oh it's dirty all right. :D

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/basildon-bstatistics-vegas.html

Detroit has a certain reputation of course, but on balance I'll take the 6 extra beds I think. :P

Massively off topic. Hey ho.

Deeply offended at the article’s borderline racist stereotyping against Basildonians and I won’t stand for it any longer :angry:

4 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Deeply offended at the article’s borderline racist stereotyping against Basildonians and I won’t stand for it any longer :angry:

It's like that about everywhere, depending on exactly which local nascent Pulitzer winner submitted the entry.

I thought Basildon got off quite lightly compared to some.

33 minutes ago, En Passant said:

It's like that about everywhere, depending on exactly which local nascent Pulitzer winner submitted the entry.

I thought Basildon got off quite lightly compared to some.

Too late. Can’t be talked down. Gathering up my fellow tracksuit-wearing tanned chavs right now. Nationwide invasion starts now. You’ll hear war cries of “SHA’ AAAAAAP” outside your house come the morn.

• Haha 2

Dreamy new one from fairly new artist Mahalia. Love it.

On 28/03/2021 at 06:35, The Quim Reaper said:

$400k (£290k) for an 8-bedroomed detached house :o Where I live, you’d struggle to get a 2-bed for that.

Welcome to Detroit.  lol.  :(
Also, I just noticed the band name typo - do please blame spellcheck, as Gorillaz (with a Z) is one of my 2 or 3 favourite bands of the post 2000's.  I'm well aware how to spell the damn thing.
SC

14 minutes ago, Sir Charms said:

Welcome to Detroit.  lol.  :(
Also, I just noticed the band name typo - do please blame spellcheck, as Gorillaz (with a Z) is one of my 2 or 3 favourite bands of the post 2000's.  I'm well aware how to spell the damn thing.
SC

Yeah, I mean, I know it’s Detroit and all but the house is intriguing. Hopefully it’ll go to an enthusiast rather than the type of gormless fuckknuckle you’d find on whatever the US version of Homes Under The Hammer is.

Gorillaz are quality, yeah. Albarn arguably did better stuff with them than with Blur.