Grim Reaper

Olivia De Havilland

Well, now we gotta wait at least 6 more years for the attempt at another 105 year old.

They could put Norman Lloyd on there. But it would be a little contrived.

• Thanks 1

Is 13 appearances the second most in deathlist history?

Genuinely thought she'd hang on for at least another year. RIP, trailblazer!

Kinda "finally". Hers was the name I was always amazed to see on the mainpage again, timeĀ  and again convinced that she had just died already.

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Eh?

Maybe one of the last greats from that era, but there areĀ hundreds of actors still living from the Golden Age.
Ā 

Ā 

True, but very few have widespread name recognition, Angela Lansbury easily being the most well known.

Ā 

With one or two exceptions, we're basically in the Eastwood/Hackman era of stars now.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

Is 13 appearances the second most in deathlist history?

Second most was Clive Dunn with 16 total.Ā 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Ā 

True, but very few have widespread name recognition, Angela Lansbury easily being the most well known.

Ā 

With one or two exceptions, we're basically in the Eastwood/Hackman era of stars now.

Ā 

Feel like Eva Marie Saint, providing she's still breathing in 2021, is due a call up for the DL first 50...

• Like 3

Even though its a shame OdH has died (along with Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas and other long lasting names), I'm actually really interested in how the 2021 deathlist will turn out. Numbers 2,3,4,5,7 are gone, literally cleaning house for a load of new names...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I would say that Glynis Johns is probably the natural replacement for Livvy DeH.Ā 

IMHO, I think she the oldest "best known" name on that list linked by Ulitzer95Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Ā 

Ā 

I would say that Glynis Johns is probably the natural replacement for Livvy DeH.Ā 

IMHO, I think she the oldest "best known" name on that list linked by Ulitzer95Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Agreed. Her or Rhonda Fleming maybe.

Edit: Just had a proper look. I'd also add Eva Marie Saint, Janis Paige, June Lockhart,Ā Cara Williams and Angela Lansbury to the same tier as Johns.

It will be a few years yet until we're scraping the barrel on Golden Age actresses.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jasper de Havilland said:

Why are people surprised. I sent an article about it was her sad last days not too long ago:facepalm:

You quoted a National Esquire article from 2014, of course people werenā€™t gonna believe.Ā 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

You quoted a National Esquire article from 2014, of course people werenā€™t gonna believe.Ā 

But I was right

13 minutes ago, Jasper de Havilland said:

But I was right

It was just a coincidence that she died a few days later. Citing something from 2014 from a very well known fabricator isnā€™t a good idea to prove your point.Ā 

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Agreed. Her or Rhonda Fleming maybe.

Edit: Just had a proper look. I'd also add Eva Marie Saint, Janis Paige, June Lockhart,Ā Cara Williams and Angela Lansbury to the same tier as Johns.

It will be a few years yet until we're scraping the barrel on Golden Age actresses.

Ā 

I was having a look at this list after you posted it and wondering how many more were left that I'd heard of. Decent number in the 50s but if we stick to 40s and earlier I'd say the biggest name is Dame Angela Lansbury, given she was still acting on stage a few years ago and was Oscar-nominated as far back as 1944 for Gaslight.

Ā 

Always got a soft spot too for Glynis Johns, if only forĀ Mary PoppinsĀ - votes for women!

9 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

Well, next year's list will look very odd, with the teamĀ of Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Perez de CuellarĀ and now Olivia De Havilland's deaths.

All have been on the list since 2014.

We could always put The Queen next year, right next to her husband if he gets to 2021.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To put it into perspective how old she was, Dame Olivia was born on the first day of the Somme.

• Shocked 3

Five of the top 10 gone, one more to go for a new record. CannotĀ see old PhilĀ or DVD going this year, so over to messers Akihito, Cardin orĀ Dole to get us overĀ the line.

As a matter of interest which living person has been on the list most?

59 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Without checking I'd imagine Phil the Greek.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

Prince Philip, Bob Dole, and Henry Kissinger all have 8 appearances.

• Like 1