Maybe some smart arse with nothing better to do will inform me that there is a thread already out there that covers this but, naturally, I couldn't give a monkeys.

So, here is the thing,  who really got your admiration for living life to the full, who drank, smoked, shagged and cared not for public opinion as they went their own way?

Who would have laughed had they known they were potential DL fodder?

As an example, my particular hero was Keith Floyd.

Now I detest cooking, I would rather cut my cock of than watch cookery shows BUT, where Floyd was concerned, the vision of this semi dishevelled man throwing the kitchen sink into fucking great pots, no measuring out for him but still making brilliant food, while half cut, bottle of red at hand to neck down and pour into the pot, narrating his way around Vietnam or somewhere and actually MAKING IT INTERESTING made him THE man for me.

Now, ok, he got into trouble a bit, ex wives, accusations and all that but this guy ploughed on into the inevitable oblivion of death.

Nowdays, wishy washy wankers, reality TV,  and assorted celebrity tossers like Torode and Wallace are the epitome of dumbed down celebdom.

Where have all the rogues gone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Who really got your admiration for living life to the full, who drank, smoked, shagged and cared not for public opinion as they went their own way?

Oliver Reed

2566774.main_image.jpg?strip=all

• Like 3

Depends on living or dead.

Dead/

Richard Harris (as his son is current favourite to watch in this house). Class in a glass.

Keith Moon. Drumsticks held the wrong way, inspiration for Animal. 'Nuff said.

Pierre Le Gloan. WW2 surrender monkey. Shot down 18 aircraft. 4 Nazi, 7 Italian and 7 British. He gave no fucks.

Alive/

Mad Mike Hoare. Mentalist.

Charlie Sheen. Soft spot for him after the Tiger Blood stuff.

Bobby Gillespie. How he put up with the Reid brothers in Jesus and the Mary Chain I'll never know (saw them @85, bottled off after 2nd song). Kept his own shit just about together and got the Scream together.

• Like 1

George Best.

Image result for george best where did it all go wrong

Where did it all go wrong?

15 minutes ago, charon said:

Keith Moon. Drumsticks held the wrong way, inspiration for Animal. 'Nuff said.

Funny you should say that.

p01h7zdy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Maybe some smart arse with nothing better to do will inform me that there is a thread already out there that covers this but, naturally, I couldn't give a monkeys.

So, here is the thing,  who really got your admiration for living life to the full, who drank, smoked, shagged and cared not for public opinion as they went their own way?

As an example, my particular hero was Keith Floyd.

Now I detest cooking, I would rather cut my cock of than watch cookery shows BUT, where Floyd was concerned, the vision of this semi dishevelled man throwing the kitchen sink into fucking great pots, no measuring out for him but still making brilliant food, while half cut, bottle of red at hand to neck down and pour into the pot, narrating his way around Vietnam or somewhere and actually MAKING IT INTERESTING made him THE man for me.

Now, ok, he got into trouble a bit, ex wives, accusations and all that but this guy ploughed on into the inevitable oblivion of death.

Nowdays, wishy washy wankers, reality TV,  and assorted celebrity tossers like Torode and Wallace are the epitome of dumbed down celebdom.

Where have all the rogues gone?

I'm the same when it comes to cooking and cooking shows and Floyd's was the only cookery show I could stomach.

I'm not sure that Hywel Bennett would have laughed at being DL fodder but I did admire him for the whole living life to the full thing, being happy to play slightly seedy characters when in his younger years he had the looks to play the romantic lead and then when he did loose his looks not letting that impede his career. I also like that he rarely did interviews adding to the enigma. He made some crap of course but was always very good in the crap.

Geoffrey Hughes was another actor I was very fond of , plus he was a Fairport Convention fan so we had something in common.

He's been discussed a few times but never made the list but I like to think that Tom Lehrer, of whom I'm a fan would "get" deathlist.    

Edit - Just realised that first bit makes it sound as if I have a cock. I don't, but would rather grow a cock then chop it off than watch a cookery show.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For a living legend, this clean cut guy:

Image result for keith richards young photos

though he apparently hasn't had a drink since christmas.

• Like 3

Never looking back, never saying sorry:

Image result for miles davis dark magus

Edit: Well, and Mr. Roosevelt:

image.jpeg.4c0138d909a81f63bbc36cdf94be186a.jpeg

• Like 2

Shane MacGowan

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Alex "Hurricane" Higgins

_48477350_009858663-1.jpg

• Like 1

Brendan Fucking Behan

4F571A2C-01F0-4345-8857-A761604D9CB2.jpeg

• Like 1

Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne.

Ireland rugby International, alco, founder member of the SAS who destroyed Axis aircraft with his bare hands and punched his C O. Died drink driving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Handrejka said:

I'm the same when it comes to cooking and cooking shows and Floyd's was the only cookery show I could stomach.

I'm not sure that Hywel Bennett would have laughed at being DL fodder but I did admire him for the whole living life to the full thing, being happy to play slightly seedy characters when in his younger years he had the looks to play the romantic lead and then when he did loose his looks not letting that impede his career. I also like that he rarely did interviews adding to the enigma. He made some crap of course but was always very good in the crap.

Geoffrey Hughes was another actor I was very fond of , plus he was a Fairport Convention fan so we had something in common.

He's been discussed a few times but never made the list but I like to think that Tom Lehrer, of whom I'm a fan would "get" deathlist.    

Edit - Just realised that first bit makes it sound as if I have a cock. I don't, but would rather grow a cock then chop it off than watch a cookery show.

Look no further than Fairport's Dave Swarbrick.Of course,he did slow the tempo a bit after his double lung transplant;but one can only imagine the hard living that went into well and truly knackering his original pair of windbags...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Handrejka said:

BTW,you don't have to go to all that trouble of growing a man pole just to then chop it off,you can have mine if you want: it's been years since I last used it and now it's just taking up space,if I'm honest 

Fuck these guys, I'm all about clean living like my man Joe Wicks. #cleaneats #thinspo #ketolife

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Fuck these guys, I'm all about clean living like my man Joe Wicks. #cleaneats #thinspo #ketolife

I hate Joe Wicks the smug self satisfied sanctimonious bastard.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:
2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I hate Joe Wicks the smug self satisfied sanctimonious bastard.

I liked him in Eastenders.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, TheFunkyPhantom said:

Look no further than Fairport's Dave Swarbrick.Of course,he did slow the tempo a bit after his double lung transplant;but one can only imagine the hard living that went into well and truly knackering his original pair of windbags...

I love the Swarb. I like how he took his premature obit in good humour too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

I love the Swarb. I like how he took his premature obit in good humour too.

Just before he passed from this mortal coil,he took to EBay to sell his personal effects. Sad end. On the bright side,I picked up a few choice bargains from the Swarb archive :-)

Gord Downie, outside of being DL fodder was one of my favorite musicians of all time.

Leah Bracknell is my DL Fodder hero.

• Like 1

Not a personal hero, but worth mentioning: Roger Bocquet is, to the best of my knowledge, the only man to play a World Cup quarterfinal suffering from brain cancer. His team lost 7-5 in what is still the record for most goals in any World Cup match, but hey. Oh, yeah, he recovered and lived another 40 years.

But really, for me, despite being a big Jon Pertwee fan as a kid, it's got to be actor Patrick Troughton, surely. The second Dr Who, or if you prefer, the priest who gets killed by the church spike in The Omen. Had long affairs with most of his co-workers. Drank heavily. Had two families, which he managed to make sure never met each other, despite him being the father of six kids combined among the two. Kept this out of the papers despite having the most high profile TV job of the 60s. Smoked like a chimney. Got told to quit drinking for the sake of his health aged 50, took up more drinking to spite the doctor. Lost a lung to cancer, immediately started smoking again. Spent his entire life smoking, drinking and shagging - also being an early-ish advocate of LSD and the like - and finally died - allegedly Felix Faure style  - in a hotel room of a heart attack aged 67, having received a standing ovation hours earlier.  Oh, and when he wasn't living life exactly and only the way he wanted to, he was also one of the most acclaimed actors of his generation.

Oh, one more point - he was involved in the Navy in WW2, and used to be admired for the seemingly eccentric habit of foregoing any protective helmet for a tea cosy. People assumed he was trying to inspire his fellows. Jon Pertwee brought it up years later on the set of Dr Who. "Oh that" said Troughton, "Those helmets wouldn't do a thing if you actually got shot, so you might as well keep warm!"

latest?cb=20151207042748

• Like 4

Not a personal hero, but worth mentioning: Roger Bocquet is, to the best of my knowledge, the only man to play a World Cup quarterfinal suffering from brain cancer.

Ruben Kruger did I think in 99, although it the rugby type of football.

Diagnosed less than a year later so must have been carrying it.

• Thanks 1

"Who really got your admiration for living life to the full, who drank, smoked, shagged and cared not for public opinion as they went their own way?

Who would have laughed had they known they were potential DL fodder?"

Only two people did it their way and wouldn't have given any fux at being on DL:

download.jpg  thumb035819.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:42, Handrejka said:

And now I'm utterly pissed off that Hywel Bennett didn't get a mention in the BAFTA memorial section. He was ignored in the film one too. 

3 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

And now I'm utterly pissed off that Hywel Bennett didn't get a mention in the BAFTA memorial section. He was ignored in the film one too. 

That's a strange one, I would have though he would have got somesort of mention, he wasn't exactly a 3rd division actor.

• Like 1