Grim Reaper

Les Paul

I love Man-u too awesome score Wednesday night 5-0 Yeah c'mon you reds.....

staggman

<_<

I've only just found out Les Paul has been in hospital, recently. According to the article he's doing well and should be released soon.

Maybe he should go back on the '07 list.

I love Man-u too awesome score Wednesday night 5-0 Yeah c'mon you reds.....

Same score as Carlisle's last win. It's thoughtful the way Carlisle vary their winning scores this season so we can tell one thumping victory apart from another. Otherwise, with all the goals flying in and the steady parade of hapless victims as we top the league we might get confused. So remember it was a 5-0 thumping of Chester, 0-4 away hammering was Rushden and the 6-0 canter in October came when we put Stockport County to shame.

Les Paul - greatest innovator of the electronic music medium still alive, and frankly i'm more likely to peg it this year than him.

enough of the topic - bloody carlisle fans. for various reasons i didn't get an Orient season ticket this year and they're doing better than they have for years. i've been to see them twice, and each time they shipped four goals (home to rochdale, away to wycombe) so i figure if i stay away they might get out of the basement. perhaps if they do barry hearne will drop dead with excitement. i'd likehim to be on deathlist, but shamefully only for reasons of spite...

I've only just found out Les Paul has been in hospital, recently. According to the article he's doing well and should be released soon.

Maybe he should go back on the '07 list.

That's a strange article... his 90th birthday was not only in 2005, but it was also in June. Why would he be missing celebrating a June birthday in February?

I think he'll be around for a bit yet. He looks younger than most people who are 10 years younger and a hospital visit doesn't mean too much to me, especially with full recovery. Might be one to watch, but not adamantly...

From watching the "Grammy Awards" they did say that Les Paul was in the

hospital and that he was in everybodys thoughts that night?

Guest 59burst
Les Paul is a guitar player *NOT* a guitar maker!!! Yes, Gibson makes guitars named after him. He doesn't build them though.

Leo Fender If we're gonna talk guitar makers he's worth mentioning ahead of everyone else. Died in 1991 mind.

Guest john
i thot he was already dead... ROCK ON LES! i own a les paul...its an epiphone though.

Ibanez to win ;)

There's been nothing further in the news section of his website since December 14th

So?

There's a few bands half his age have less active sites than Les.

So?

There's a few bands half his age have less active sites than Les.

Well a little whisper on the grapevine telling us how he's been doing since his release from hospital wouldn't go amiss

I recall hearing that Les Paul the famous guitarist and guitar maker was hospitalized a few weeks ago, but clearly he must have recovered. His presence next year should be takin into consideration.

I recall hearing that Les Paul the famous guitarist and guitar maker was hospitalized a few weeks ago, but clearly he must have recovered. His presence next year should be takin into consideration.

I was not able to find any confirmation of him being hospitalized a few weeks ago, but he was hospitalized in early February this year due to fluid in his lungs.

I was not able to find any confirmation of him being hospitalized a few weeks ago, but he was hospitalized in early February this year due to fluid in his lungs.

I had a look on his website, it doesn't mention anything about any recent hospital trips, just says that he continues to gig each week.

Web site bio mentions his arthritis slowing him down. Great, DL 2017 for a result anyone?

The self-same site suggests he still gigs every week in New York, does anyone over there know if this is still the case? It looks that way on the web site of the Iridium Jazz Club.

Web site bio mentions his arthritis slowing him down. Great, DL 2017 for a result anyone?

The self-same site suggests he still gigs every week in New York, does anyone over there know if this is still the case? It looks that way on the web site of the Iridium Jazz Club.

yea he does its every monday night at 10 or something

every monday night at 10 or something

f*****g great, so he's still healthy enough to stay up late as well. I blame Bing Crosby, it was Crosby getting him the - then - revolutionary tape recorder that took Paul's career to new heights, made him rich and famous and probably sorted him for a very good life up to today. If only he'd had to spend years sleeping in the back of transit vans like most musicians....

Unspecified health issues forced Les Paul to cancel his weekly sets at New York's Iridium Club Monday (June 15). José Feliciano filled in for the 94 year-old. Les will miss his performance on June 22 as well (and some sources also say June 29). The club says he will be "back soon."

http://www.oldiesmusic.com/news.htm

Has just strummed his final chord.

Yuppers he is dead dead dead.

Guitar legend Les Paul dies at age 94

By LUKE SHERIDAN (AP) – 24 minutes ago

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

He had been hospitalized in February 2006 when he learned he won two Grammys for an album he released after his 90th birthday, "Les Paul & Friends: American Made, World Played."

"I feel like a condemned building with a new flagpole on it," he joked.

As an inventor, Paul helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll and multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the "tracks" in the finished recording.

With Ford, his wife from 1949 to 1962, he earned 36 gold records and 11 No. 1 pop hits, including "Vaya Con Dios," "How High the Moon," "Nola" and "Lover." Many of their songs used overdubbing techniques that Paul the inventor had helped develop.

"I could take my Mary and make her three, six, nine, 12, as many voices as I wished," he recalled. "This is quite an asset." The overdubbing technique was highly influential on later recording artists such as the Carpenters.

The use of electric guitar gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1940s, and then exploded with the advent of rock the 1950s.

"Suddenly, it was recognized that power was a very important part of music," Paul once said. "To have the dynamics, to have the way of expressing yourself beyond the normal limits of an unamplified instrument, was incredible. Today a guy wouldn't think of singing a song on a stage without a microphone and a sound system."

A tinkerer and musician since childhood, he experimented with guitar amplification for years before coming up in 1941 with what he called "The Log," a four-by-four piece of wood strung with steel strings.

"I went into a nightclub and played it. Of course, everybody had me labeled as a nut." He later put the wooden wings onto the body to give it a tradition guitar shape.

In 1952, Gibson Guitars began production on the Les Paul guitar.

Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al DiMeola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.

Over the years, the Les Paul series has become one of the most widely used guitars in the music industry. In 2005, Christie's auction house sold a 1955 Gibson Les Paul for $45,600.Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and am expecting the usual avalanche of celebrity deaths that happen when I'm away. However, this one seems to have jumped the gun.