Death Watch Beatle

Chhouk Rin

So, you have never heard of Chhouk Rin. He is a former Khmer Rouge commander who was found guilty of the abduction and murder of 3 westerners in Cambodia in 1994. The guerrillas demanded a £100,000 ransom for them, but 3 months later, when the money was not forthcoming, killed the hostages. Chhouk Rin is 50 and has suffered from malaria, heart problems and tetanus which was caused by a land mine injury, and is not expected the live long enough to see his final appeal through. I bring this man to your attention as a test for the obituary rule. I think Rin's passing will get at least a mention in the papers when it happens due to the fact that one of his victims was British. If so, would it qualify as a missed scoring opportunity, or would he not count due to being too unknown? Could the Deathlist Ruling Junta please pass judgement on this case otherwise I am faced with a right nightmare at work, as some clever cock has got him in our Death Pool!

DWB :lol:

Excellent research, and an interesting story, but I've never heard of him. Rin Tin Tin, yeah, but the Cambodian hostage-taker - nope.

But then I'm a xenophobe, so I wouldn't have heard of him, would I? Only Americans on the DL from now on, I say, because we're the most important, powerful country ever. Did you see how many medals we won at the last Olympics, how badly we kicked Iraq's butt (twice), etc. etc.

USA! USA!

Gotta go - I have a world to dominate.......

Still no girlfriend then Ronnie??

Nancy loves me...

Guest Guest

And she'll definately be giving you some loving today big boy!!!! ;)

And I mean big in the sense of age, Happy 93rd Bday. :lol:

Dear Moderating Team

Time is Short! This bloke could die at any time, and I am still not armed with the advice of the council. I could be made a laughing stock at work, running a death pool and not being clear on how it actually works! Come on chaps - how much coverage does a death need in newspapers etc. to qualify as a score (or missed opportunity). Chhouk Rin could bring down the whole pool - and its only February!

Desperately Yours

DWB :lol:

DWB

On the basis that none of the Death List committee could name him or, its appears, had heard of he does not past the fame test for Death List.

I have a hunch that his death may be reported in the English newspapers but only one of those tiny paragraphs in the international section. A good rule of thumb for the fame test is that the celeb must warrant a full obituary in at least one UK broadsheet newspaper. Id be very surprised Chhouk Rin gets that.

Hope this helps

GR

An update on Mr. Rin here.

The interesting bit is:

"A former Khmer Rouge commander jailed for the killings of three Western backpackers in 1994 is to seek a royal pardon on the grounds of ill health, local media reported Monday.

"Chhouk Rin, who was jailed for life 10 years ago for his role in the killings, is reportedly suffering from AIDS, malaria and liver disease."

DWB :angry2:

Edit: This smells a bit of Biggs!

The interesting bit is:

"A former Khmer Rouge commander jailed for the killings of three Western backpackers in 1994 is to seek a royal pardon on the grounds of ill health, local media reported Monday.

"Chhouk Rin, who was jailed for life 10 years ago for his role in the killings, is reportedly suffering from AIDS, malaria and liver disease."

It smells of Biggs, Atkins and Al-Megrahi

As a matter of interest; have any of our jailbirds arguing release on the grounds of ill-health actually died on time?

The interesting bit is:

......and there you were, DWB, complaining that your undercooked chicken had made you ill....

I suppose, if we look at this from another angle, he has shagged too much, drunk too much and done it all without a stout Mosquito net around his bed.

Serves the bastard right, I say.

PS: Feeling better Mr Beatle?

The interesting bit is:

DWB :grave:

It smells of Biggs, Atkins and Al-Megrahi

As a matter of interest; have any of our jailbirds arguing release on the grounds of ill-health actually died on time?

Just Atkins and Milosevic that I can think of... maybe Pinochet if you want to stretch it. Seems like the trick is to keep them in jail. :angry2:

The interesting bit is:

DWB :grave:

......and there you were, DWB, complaining that your undercooked chicken had made you ill....

I suppose, if we look at this from another angle, he has shagged too much, drunk too much and done it all without a stout Mosquito net around his bed.

Serves the bastard right, I say.

PS: Feeling better Mr Beatle?

Thank you for your best wishes - indeed the Beatle is Back!

Not a massive listing in Google. (Results 1 - 10 of about 4,160 for Chhouk Rin. (0.24 seconds) )

So the original question still stands, will he get an obit in one of the broadsheets? I don't think so, but I have been mistaken before, once.

Not a massive listing in Google. (Results 1 - 10 of about 4,160 for Chhouk Rin. (0.24 seconds) )

So the original question still stands, will he get an obit in one of the broadsheets? I don't think so, but I have been mistaken before, once.

Well he was in yesterday's issue of The Phnom Penh PostLast month, so he's still somewhat of interest.

Vine Mountain

"lawyers for Chhouk Rin, the former regimental commander in Division 405, said their client would soon seek a royal pardon for his role in the killings, on the grounds of ill health. Both men said they sympathised with Chhouk Rin, who was handed a life sentence in 2002 for leading the train ambush that netted Wilson, Slater and Braquet.

“Chhouk Rin only arrested the three of them; he did not kill them. After he joined with the government he tried to negotiate their release,” said Prak Sothy. While his efforts came too late to save the hostages, Prak Sothy said Chhouk Rin should be released as a token of good will. “I think the government should release him because he gave the government a lot of help,” he said."

Didn't realize Chhouk has a thread. Is he dead or still rotting in jail?

On 05/02/2004 at 08:27, Death Watch Beatle said:

So, you have never heard of Chhouk Rin.

Nuf ced.  

not a really useful answer to my question.

Realized that this thread could also be used for the other war criminals of Cambodia...here's who's left:

Khieu Samphan (90, 1931-) Prime Minister, by far the most notable Khmer Rouge member alive. Has active trials and can attend them, could go on for a while. Or not.

Yim Tith (84, 1936-) Sector 13 secretary accused of premeditated genocide. Case probably dropped as his actions weren't as bad as those of Samphan or Muth.

Meas Muth (83, 1938-) Commander in the navy, is or is going to be on trial. Genocide on Vietnam and crimes against humanity.

Im Chaem (~78, 194x-) Alleged district secretary, could have dementia.

Ao An died in 2020. There are a ton of witnesses, many also Khmer Rouge members including Chhouk:

https://www.eccc.gov.kh/en/topic/886