Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_Billy The Squid

James Doohan

So, another one dies before we even get the benefit of an Edward Heath pun on the home page. Is it even worth suggesting 'Beam Me Up, Scotty'? :D

Edit:

Whoops!

Edited by lospalmas7

His engines obviously couldn't take any more.

He's dead, Jim.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/...n.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. (1330 GMT) at his Redmond, Washington, home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

"The producers asked me which one I preferred," Doohan recalled 30 years later. "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding. So I told them, 'If this character is going to be an engineer, you'd better make him a Scotsman.' "

The series, which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as the enigmatic Mr. Spock, attracted an enthusiastic following of science fiction fans, especially among teenagers and children, but not enough ratings power. NBC canceled it after three seasons.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely.

(Best part about being a mod is the ability to fix your own screw ups before anyone sees them. :D )

...who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.)

Look I hate to be pedantic but Kirk never said that.

In one episode he says "Scotty, Beam me up" but that's as close as it gets.

Along with many other things that have embedded themselves in popular culture such as "Dr Spock" (A confusion with the well known baby care expert) and the "Vulcan Death Grip", I think we have the proof that many people have simply never watched Star Trek.

(Best part about being a mod is the ability to fix your own screw ups before anyone sees them.  :angry: )

Actually I tried to reply to your post in the "other" forum, and was for a while royally confused.

Guest Dan S

He's croaked!! You guys are on a bit of a roll this month - is July usually the peak month for deathlist entrants to shuffle off?

My phycic abilitys. Let me tell a bit of a story.

Last night i was pretty bored and i diden't have much to

get done. I was skimming threw the list just looking for

a DL canidate that i diden't know much about. Who did

i find? James Doohan. I looked him up on IMDB and also

read his wiki bio.

Little did i know that when i would awake this morning that

i would find him as the 8th death of the year.

The Banshee has Screamed again...

AN ODE TO SCOTTY

I just got done with "Effel", not to mention Father Ted,

When blow me down, I looked online - and Scotty! - he is dead!

With Dilithium Crystals and Phasers set on stun,

You made outer-worldly travel, well, frankly, super fun.

'Twas on the starship Enterprise,

Where you traveled high and low,

And left and right, and up and down

'Cos there was nowhere else to go.

So boldly go, just one more time,

To heaven, if that is your plan,

And thanks for all the fun you gave,

From an appreciative, Poetry Man.

Guest X punk

Shame to hear of the Death of Doohan. Being a scottish trekkie mesel, doohan was that little bit more special over here. Rest in peace James Doohan, you will not be forgotten.

Guest wischick

July 20, 2005 - James Doohan passed away at 5:30 am PST, pneumonia and alzheimers. "to boldly go where no man has gone" - rest in peace, Scotty.

Being a scottish trekkie mesel, doohan was that little bit more special over here. .

Don't know why - he was Canadian! And his accent was almost as bad as Sean Connery's, who may have been born in Edinburgh, but doesn't sound like anyone from here that I know! :angry:

Guest iain

Star Treks Scotty aka the actor James Doohan has finally succembed to alzheimers and has beamed up to the great spaceship in heaven.3 deathlist hits in a week..this could be a record year!

Guest fanman

He's gone ...

Guest Guest

Wow!!

That's three scores in less than two weeks!!

Guest Guest

yes..Scotty has finally beamed up to the speaceship called heaven ..james Doohan dead at 85.

Guest Theodore L. Sherlock

Heavon now has the greatest doctor and the greatest enginer that ever traveled through this galaxy. Captain Kirk will be hard pressed to find anyone who can do anywhere near as well. God speed.

Guest SpcMstr

People, he has left us..... :angry:

Guest Guest
He's croaked!! You guys are on a bit of a roll this month - is July usually the peak month for deathlist entrants to shuffle off?

I think its the hot humid weather weve been having that kills them off

yeh canna change the laws of physics

beamed to the stars for the last time

James Doohan : Eighth success of 2005.

: 133rd success since 1987.

: 2005 list is now 10th most successful list out of 19.

I've decided that this is my new thing so I hope it doesnt annoy anyone.

Guest Guest_Whitehouse
So, another one dies before we even get the benefit of an Edward Heath pun on the home page. Is it even worth suggesting 'Beam Me Up, Scotty'? :(

Edit:

Whoops!

How about:

Scotty: "Beam me up, Ted?" :angry:

Guest Guest_Whitehouse
AN ODE TO SCOTTY

(....)

From an appreciative, Poetry Man.

That was class!

Off-topic:

And yes, I am registered.

Just forgot to log in...

Realized by the way that today also marks the 36th anniversary of the first steps on the moon. Okay, that was not as far as the Enterprise got to go but stil a pinnacle moment in man's space history.

Dare I say,

A fitting day for him to die??

Too many though and his engine may blow.  Any volunteers to head up the Jeffrey's tube and check out the core?  :angry:

Apparently somebody (who shall remain nameless Mr. Sulu) failed to make sure that his tubes were checked and now he's on a shuttlecraft headed towards unknown territory, completely unaware of the looming danger as a Romulan War Vessel approaches, hidden by its cloaking device. Uh oh! I see a Klingon torpedo heading towards the shuttlecraft as well.

92stgalileo.JPG

Poor Jimmy Doohan...he will be gravely missed. I wonder who is up next? Spock, do you have any logical answers?