Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_Billy The Squid

James Doohan

Guest Guest_Billy The Squid

James Doohan (Scotty, Star Trek) has been diagnosed with altzeimers don't know how progressed it is but worth a mention

Surprisingly, Doohan isn't even Scottish.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/seri...cast/69073.html

He's a randy old bugger too, he and his wife spent some more time in the Jeffries tube and had another kid in April 2000, making him a Dad again at 80. His wife is 43.

Doohan Trivia:

http://www.classicscifi.com/actors.php?actor=James+Doohan

Most noteable points:

- He is missing the middle finger of his right hand.

- According to the Director's Edition DVD of Star Trek the Motion Picture, the Klingon language first introduced in that movie and later featured in many later Trek movies and TV episodes, was initially devised by Doohan. His original sounds were later expanded upon and refined by others, ultimately resulting in Shakespeare plays and The Bible being translated into Klingon years later.

One to beam up?

He's dead Jim, but not as we know it.

Yes, he of Star Trek fame, is 84 and just been diagnosed with alzheimers disease...Looks like he could be up in the heavens again shortly..

According to magazine TV Zone ...

"James Doohan is set to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame at the end of August. The 84 year old actor now suffers from Alzheimer's disease, a side effect of medication he has been taking to alleviate Parkinson's disease. Also in August he will make a final convention appearance alongside other surviving cast members of the original series at Beam Me Up Scotty - One Last Time. Doohan's son Chris has revealed that his father's long running feud with William Shatner is at an end. 'It's all water under the bridge at this point ... My dad & Shatner got together recently & told each other how much they love each other', said Chris."

So ... a star in Hollywood (the nearest thing to a lifetime Oscar he'll get), Alzheimer's & Parkinson's (though getting one just to solve the other doesn't seem a great choice to me), final appearances, and mending bridges ... sounds like time is a-ticking fast.

Though if he's wandering around in August, maybe he's for next year ...

Guest Guest
Surprisingly, Doohan isn't even Scottish.

Er, surprising to whom, exactly? Not to any people of Scottish extraction, I suspect!

I am glad he and Bill the Shat have patched up their differences. Life's too short, ay? (As those two Canadians might have put it...)

Life's too short, ay?

Well, its about 84 years really :ghost6:

Guest kelly nelson

:huh:

James Doohan has been one of my dearest friends over the past 28 years and I'm saddened that he has had to indure such problems after having such and full and wonderful life.

He would take the shirt off his back for you if he could and has at time(figuritvely speaking)

And at the time he needs friends and family around - alot of us who are older ourselves and not able to get to and see the people we used to see and losing touch is hard.

I miss not being able to be there this week in ca to say one of the last goodbyes alot of us will have with him.

His mind used to be sharp as a tack - he could remember names from just one meeting and where that person was from and what they did for a living.

I'm so glad that I have the photos and recording to help me in the future remember and great and humble man.

I am glad that he did make peace with Bill to set his mind at ease. Bill will always be and jerk and not worth anyones time for long. Bill is for Bill and that is all he cares about.

kelly nelson

"Doohans Demon"

Where is Mr Chekhov to say 'inflated vessel off the starboard bow' when you need him?

I thought Kelly was promoting a book or something, but nothing on Google or Amazon. I guess DWB already checked his spam filters for that one :huh:

---

Customers who bought Doohans Demons also bought:

• Shatner's Bassoon, The Complete Ensemble.

The 2 spam filters either side of my nose didn't pick up on that. Must get them overhauled.

DWB :huh:

Guest markyboy

What about James "Scotty" Doohan ?? I heard he was "about to leave us". Anyone with any news ??

Also, what about Fred "steeplejack" Dibnah. There was a peice on the telly a few weeks back saying he was not in good health to say the least.

[sA Edit: Merged with existing topic 13/10]

Guest markyboy

Sorry. I'm new to the site. A mate of mine got me into this. His group charge £5 entry for 5 names. 10 points for the death and 1 point for each year under 100 years old (so forget Princess Alice !!!). Winner takes all.

bet none of them had Christopher Reeves though !!!!

Don't worry, I got castigated this morning for the same reason (see Jacques Derrida entry)

Hmm, a "fantasy death league"

Something I've mused over. However, if it got too competitive, wouldn't want the possibility of "celebs" being bumped off by the participants, would we!

Guest Death Watch
:P James Doohan not well at all, wheelchair bound after a stroke and not looking too bright. One for 2005?

VSBfromH

Don't worry, I got castigated this morning for the same reason (see Jacques Derrida entry)

No offence intended

HCW

:P

I don't think he will die any time soon. Alzheimer's disease takes about 10 years to fully progress before the person dies. Take Ronald Reagan and Queen Juliana who both had Alzheimer's and they where both diagnosed with it 10 years back ! ( Take alook at Juliana's and Reagan's link on wiki and click Alzheimer's)

Guest IYG

I've always thought it's a wonder that only one Star Trek star has passed away so far.

The future isn't looking too bright for Doohan and if he survives this year, he won't survive the next.

"You cannot change the laws of physics Jim". :lol:

Guest Dan Scan

So presumably he "cannae take it any more, cap'n"?