Sign in to follow this  

34 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well done, chaps.

Well, what can you lot do from here on in?

Semi's i think Croatia are a better team than England for me despite being poor in the last round, if England are really lucky they might get to the final but i doubt we will win it as lets be honest it is the easiest run to a World Cup Final ever potentially and the other side of the draw has all the quality teams. If England got to the final i can't see us beating either Brazil, France, Uruguay or Belgium depending who gets to the final. England have done well to a point but lets be honest we have only really won Tunisa and Panama and law of averages says we had to win one eventually. I hope England win it but i can't see it. 

• Like 1

And yet, England are in a world cup quarter final a competition for which Scotland failed to qualify again. Further, apparently you don't support them anyway. (though it's a stretch from Oslo I admit).

Ultimately it's either the UK or it' s not. And apparently, according to msc, wilz, cloris, paul (ya I remembered this time) and charon it's not. As you prefer fellas. ;) 

1 minute ago, Fergie86 said:

Semi's i think Croatia are a better team than England for me despite being poor in the last round, if England are really lucky they might get to the final but i doubt we will win it as lets be honest it is the easiest run to a World Cup Final ever potentially and the other side of the draw has all the quality teams. If England got to the final i can't see us beating either Brazil, France, Uruguay or Belgium depending who gets to the final. England have done well to a point but lets be honest we have only really won Tunisa and Panama and law of averages says we had to win one eventually. I hope England win it but i can't see it. 

Got to agree with you on Croatia.

Nasty work by them scraping through, they won't be that nonchalant again.

1 minute ago, Fergie86 said:

The flip side of that is. Croatia are perhaps the only team still in our half that are our equal or better. So we face one team on paper worse than us, one about level, and a final against better opposition, but it's one match.

5 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Ultimately it's either the UK or it' s not. And apparently, according to msc, wilz, cloris, paul (ya I remembered this time) and charon it's not. As you prefer fellas. ;) 

Oi!

I'm not one of those "anybody but England" folk. I don't generally support the UK in the Eurovision, I pick the best song. So there's no harm in me (disinterested party as my team are not playing) rooting for who I think are the best team.

That's quite a separate matter from my politics.

Don't start calling me unpatriotic or an enemy of the people now....:lol:

4 minutes ago, En Passant said:

The flip side of that is. Croatia are perhaps the only team still in our half that are our equal or better. So we face one team on paper worse than us, one about level, and a final against better opposition, but it's one match.

True, in a one off match i suppose we have a chance, this is England's best chance to win the World Cup. I really want England to do it, well 99% of me does but the way the media will go OTT about it and the fact we will still be going on about it in another 52 years as we do about 1966 to the detriment of team put's me off it a slight bit but maybe i'm turning into a miserable old git. Probably the latter. 

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oi!

Don't start calling me unpatriotic or an enemy of the people now....:lol:

Fair play mate, but a bit of your actual 'north of the border' support wouldn't go amiss. 

I genuinely root for Scotland, I'd settle for just a tiny bit the other way. :)

• Like 1

Just now, En Passant said:

Fair play mate, but a bit of your actual 'north of the border' support wouldn't go amiss. 

I genuinely root for Scotland, I'd settle for just a tiny bit the other way. :)

Can I tell you a secret?

I'll be supporting England against Sweden. Because I think England are better.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

5 minutes ago, Fergie86 said:

True, in a one off match i suppose we have a chance, this is England's best chance to win the World Cup. I really want England to do it, well 99% of me does but the way the media will go OTT about it and the fact we will still be going on about it in another 52 years as we do about 1966 to the detriment of team put's me off it a slight bit but maybe i'm turning into a miserable old git. Probably the latter. 

Old git? My middle name is 'Victor' yes ofc Meldrew. But, we have a chance.

Further, everything Southgate has worked for has come to pass, from managing the team to managing the expectation.

Ofc I'm pessimistic, I'm old and even I have known nothing else. But I'm going to try to overcome my nature.

Shocking how some English players start practicing penalties and suddenly they win a shootout. "Can't practice them" my arse.

Anyhow, I want a new winner so that's Sweden (bit dull), Croatia (bottlers) or Russia (probably rigging it). Or Belgium (nae chance bottler with a shit manager).

Failing that, Uruguay. Nice bunch of lads, great manager, give them something to get their teeth into...  (Probably should rephrase that...)

I had my Faux Senegal Fan shtick ready and everything but the wankers went out in the group stage. It was just like rooting for Scotland.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Shocking how some English players start practicing penalties and suddenly they win a shootout. "Can't practice them" my arse.

Anyhow, I want a new winner so that's Sweden (bit dull), Croatia (bottlers) or Russia (probably rigging it). Or Belgium (nae chance bottler with a shit manager).

Failing that, Uruguay. Nice bunch of lads, great manager, give them something to get their teeth into...  (Probably should rephrase that...)

I had my Faux Senegal Fan shtick ready and everything but the wankers went out in the group stage. It was just like rooting for Scotland.

Clearly I have work to do to get you on board.

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Can I tell you a secret?

I'll be supporting England against Sweden. Because I think England are better.

I want to marry you now and have your babies. A bit of honesty just kills me. Naturally, other matters (sexuality not the least of them) get in the way. We'll just have to figure that out.

• Haha 1

Tbh my interest waned after the Group stages.

And the last WC I cared about was probably 90 or 94 tho the shit Final in 94 didn't help.

Rose tinted maybe, but there are a lot of shite being paid megabucks and a lot of high profile managers that know fuck all.

Media driven, ex players as co commentators etc, and now VAR.

Pile o' piss.

30 minutes ago, En Passant said:

And yet, England are in a world cup quarter final a competition for which Scotland failed to qualify again. Further, apparently you don't support them anyway. (though it's a stretch from Oslo I admit).

Why forget Ulitzer, Wee Jum,  Torbrex, Lady Grendel, the half dozen imports from p&b, and a rake of others?

11 a side DL match not a problem.

If Harry's aliases allowed on your side.

• Haha 1

My Scots count is clearly substandard. I can live with that.

Scotdar not working :(

Need to up your resources Pawn.

You have a nickname for me? Fame (of a sort) at last.

England have reached a quarter final for the first time in 12 years.

England have won a penalty shoot-out for the first time ever at the world cup.

If we make the semi-finals it will be the first time in 28 years.

If we make the final or by some miracle win it will be the first time in 52 years.

I think you can safely classify whatever this team achieve beyond this match tonight as a success. 

Whatever @charon and the other miserable scots - who may I remind you didn't qualify - say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get in there Deathers.

Scotland goes quiet. 

As they should.

Yeah,  attack me. meh.

You thought wrong...

As much as I will always support the team playing against England, I think a lot of good would come out of an England win.

Of course you lot will rub it in our faces but we've coped with that for 52 years. Recent polls on English identity have all shown that the English overwhelmingly believe that things were better in the past (everyone knew that already, it just confirms it). A big part of that argument is that the Boys of '66 were somehow better men than the current generation, when they were just lucky.

The efforts of the current squad would also shut down the Little Englanders who claim that everyfing were great until the 80s when the black men arrived.

Who closed down all the pits? :scratchhead:

Take-up of sport would soar. Morale of those of all ages would be boosted. And if there's anything you folks SotW need, it's cheering up! This isn't an England-only deal - I bet that Scotland's youth players would go on to achieve bigger things if they had something to aspire to. Not to mention, living role models are easier to relate to than dead ones (i.e. half the 1966 squad). Little kids, who would otherwise be doomed to be like their parents, will find out that someone from their school won the World Cup, so why can't they do that too? Harry Kane and the rest of the team have the potential to bring English pride into the present.

Never mind all of that, I still hope Sweden hump them.

8 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

You thought wrong...

As much as I will always support the team playing against England, I think a lot of good would come out of an England win.

Of course you lot will rub it in our faces but we've coped with that for 52 years. Recent polls on English identity have all shown that the English overwhelmingly believe that things were better in the past (everyone knew that already, it just confirms it). A big part of that argument is that the Boys of '66 were somehow better men than the current generation, when they were just lucky.

The efforts of the current squad would also shut down the Little Englanders who claim that everyfing were great until the 80s when the black men arrived.

Who closed down all the pits? :scratchhead:

Take-up of sport would soar. Morale of those of all ages would be boosted. And if there's anything you folks SotW need, it's cheering up! This isn't an England-only deal - I bet that Scotland's youth players would go on to achieve bigger things if they had something to aspire to. Not to mention, living role models are easier to relate to than dead ones (i.e. half the 1966 squad). Little kids, who would otherwise be doomed to be like their parents, will find out that someone from their school won the World Cup, so why can't they do that too? Harry Kane and the rest of the team have the potential to bring English pride into the present.

Never mind all of that, I still hope Sweden hump them.

nicely put. but it's still the same. I  / we support you . You prefer secession.

7 minutes ago, En Passant said:

nicely put. but it's still the same. I  / we support you . You prefer secession.

Good point, and maybe I'm not the best person to counteract that, since I'm for Scottish Independence. What kind of support do you think you're giving us? A lot of Scots find the commentary on TV pro-English and they complain about that, but most of us just like to engage in friendly rivalry. If you wanted us to consistently lose then that's fair game. We always lose regardless. Besides, if you think the relationship between the Scotland and England fans is unfair then it always will be, because England is a much stronger team with 10 times as many supporters. They're hardly comparable.

6 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Good point, and maybe I'm not the best person to counteract that, since I'm for Scottish Independence. What kind of support do you think you're giving us? A lot of Scots find the commentary on TV pro-English and they complain about that, but most of us just like to engage in friendly rivalry. If you wanted us to consistently lose then that's fair game. We always lose regardless. Besides, if you think the relationship between the Scotland and England fans is unfair then it always will be, because England is a much stronger team with 10 times as many supporters. They're hardly comparable.

The thing is unless we're playing against you most English fans want the other home nations to do well in competitions. It was great when Wales and Northern Ireland qualified for the euros in 2016. 

Hopefully they, England and Scotland can all qualify for Euro 2020 and Qatar 2022.

• Like 3

This is turning out to be a great World Cup for the UK viewers.

QF line up.

Two superb matches featuring 4 quality sides on Friday both Europe v South America which is what World Cup is all about.

Then even though on Saturday all the sides are shit the first game has England in it so people in the UK all have skin in the game (even if you are anti England)** and then the final match has the hosts in it which always adds an edge too.

** Having said that last night was dreadful to watch apart from probably the final penalty at which point Mrs GUN ripped off her top and ran round the room a sight not seen previously in the 21st century.