Sign in to follow this  
Dead Wait

David Dimbleby

His last Question time tonight.

One of those old school professionals who lived up to the job.

I for one will miss him on the programme. Thank you for your service. :clap:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

His last Question time tonight.

One of those old school professionals who lived up to the job.

I for one will miss him on the programme. Thank you for your service. :clap:

Yes, but knowing his luck, there will be another election/Referendum in the next year and a bucket full of dosh will be carried to his house to stop Huw Edwards presenting it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, msc said:

Yes, but knowing his luck, there will be another election/Referendum in the next year and a bucket full of dosh will be carried to his house to stop Huw Edwards presenting it.

What did Huw Edwards ever do wrong?

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

I forget which - 2014 Euro elections possibly? - but at one of the major election night coverages in the last 5 years they gave it to Huw and he so underwhelmed in the role they've gone back to Dimbleby ever since.

Bumping this. It seems that he won't be presenting the upcoming election.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-01-23/david-dimbleby-wont-host-bbcs-general-election-night/

Shame. Guessing it will be handed to Huw Edwards then? Has there ever been a more ill-suited person to present this programme?

Need David back.

• Like 1

Its his 81st Birthday today btw :birthday:

On 14/12/2018 at 17:12, maryportfuncity said:

On 14/12/2018 at 18:40, msc said:

I forget which - 2014 Euro elections possibly? - but at one of the major election night coverages in the last 5 years they gave it to Huw and he so underwhelmed in the role they've gone back to Dimbleby ever since.

Looks like the 2019 election (should the one line bill get through parliament) will see Huw 'truly dreadful' Edwards take on his first full night general election stint.

Initially David Dimbleby retired in 2015 but was brought back for 2016 and 2017. However Edwards presented the Euro elections earlier this year with no Dimbleby which is a pretty good indication Huw is now leading presenter. Which is dreadful.  

The issue with Huw is he doesn't hold the seriousness and detached gravitas that Dimbleby and Dimbleby Sr managed to exemplify in the role, hopefully he'll be a one election cycle presenter with someone else brought in for the next one, but it seems the BBC see him as the heir to Dimbleby. He just comes across to buffonish. But I'll give him the first general election to see if he manages to make it work. European Elections are always a bit dry.

Going to be odd for an awful lot of people tuning into their first general election night without Dimbleby Jr since 1974, anyone under 63 will not have voted in a general election that was not presented by him, and anyone under 50-55 is unlikely to have much memory of a general election not presented by him. 

Although I'm sure there's a few of you on here who remember the 1955 election, maybe even voted in it..... 

:ninja:

13 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Looks like the 2019 election (should the one line bill get through parliament) will see Huw 'truly dreadful' Edwards take on his first full night general election stint.

Initially David Dimbleby retired in 2015 but was brought back for 2016 and 2017. However Edwards presented the Euro elections earlier this year with no Dimbleby which is a pretty good indication Huw is now leading presenter. Which is dreadful.  

The issue with Huw is he doesn't hold the seriousness and detached gravitas that Dimbleby and Dimbleby Sr managed to exemplify in the role, hopefully he'll be a one election cycle presenter with someone else brought in for the next one, but it seems the BBC see him as the heir to Dimbleby. He just comes across to buffonish. But I'll give him the first general election to see if he manages to make it work. European Elections are always a bit dry.

Going to be odd for an awful lot of people tuning into their first general election night without Dimbleby Jr since 1974, anyone under 63 will not have voted in a general election that was not presented by him, and anyone under 50-55 is unlikely to have much memory of a general election not presented by him. 

Although I'm sure there's a few of you on here who remember the 1955 election, maybe even voted in it..... 

:ninja:

To be fair though, when did either of the Dimbleby clan leap out of bed in their underpants and chase a burglar out of the family home?

Should just give it to Andrew Neil. Imagine him after 8 hours with a live mic: "Another arsehole elected, who cares what party..." :D

tbf to Huw, while he isn't very good, its surprisingly difficult to host the election night coverage. Alastair Burnet was considered one of the great newsreaders and they shifted him on after the 1974 elections because he couldn't master it. Same with Cliff Michelmore. Dimbleby's ability to move between 100 different stories on live TV for 8 hour stints was unique and it'll be difficult to adequately replace that. This is why if you watch American TV elections they have 7 million different pundit hosts...

40 minutes ago, msc said:

Should just give it to Andrew Neil. Imagine him after 8 hours with a live mic: "Another arsehole elected, who cares what party..." :D

tbf to Huw, while he isn't very good, its surprisingly difficult to host the election night coverage. Alastair Burnet was considered one of the great newsreaders and they shifted him on after the 1974 elections because he couldn't master it. Same with Cliff Michelmore. Dimbleby's ability to move between 100 different stories on live TV for 8 hour stints was unique and it'll be difficult to adequately replace that. This is why if you watch American TV elections they have 7 million different pundit hosts...

Andrew Neil would be brilliant although likely arise a lot of complaints. 

The thing is much as I hate Huw Edwards, I honestly can't think of anyone other than Dimbleby would could be brought in to host the election show. I'm sure the BBC have already decided who they're having and it's probably Huw, but I'd hope they be more adventurous in their selection.

Although apparently parliament have found something else to squabble over so this may be off. 

I think it's important that the calibre of the presenter matches the calibre of what they are presenting. There is no doubt that there was a time for David Dimbleby but that time feels like it is behind us. It feels like we've moved on to a new period in our parliamentary democracy requiring a new calibre of presenter.

I propose...

See the source image

...Fearne Cotton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

I think it's important that the calibre of the presenter matches the calibre of what they are presenting. There is no doubt that there was a time for David Dimbleby but that time feels like it is behind us. It feels like we've moved on to a new period in our parliamentary democracy requiring a new calibre of presenter.

I propose...

See the source image

...Fearne Cotton.

If you could see the fit of rage I threw at this heinous suggestion.....

My serious suggestion would be George Alagaih or Simon McCoy.

• Haha 1

How about Laura Kuenssberg? Not English, not a bloke, common touch, politicians quiver under her glare!

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

How about Laura Kuenssberg? Not English, not a bloke, common touch, politicians quiver under her glare!

That way any Labour victory can be portrayed as a great night for the Conservatives.

• Like 1

Ah Man, if only Brucie were still with us - we'd have an election night to celebrate.

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

She's too widely known for being a Conservative.

Nick Robinson has a similar issue despite being a good person to front the coverage as a presentational style. 

45 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

That way any Labour victory can be portrayed as a great night for the Conservatives.

I'd love to see her read out a Labour majority exit poll....

'Exit polls have been wrong in the past of course'

'Laura the last one that complete fucked it up was in 1992....'

'Yes but this is a difficult election to call so we shall wait for some actual results''

Just an idea...

Scrap the ailing X-Factor/Britain's Got Talent and let Simon Cowell find us the next face of election night

Stavros Flatley, for example

Jim Naughtie is someone I always like. I thought he was good on Today and he has gravitas.

David Dimbleby was recently interviewed on GMB about his new book and Liz Truss' time as PM so far, and I can't help but think he's looking more frail since he left Question Time 4 years ago:

• Like 1