Sign in to follow this  
Joey Russ

Bobbie Gentry

Bobbie Gentry is a country singer who’s best known song is Ode To Billie Joe. Hasn’t have a lot of info recently, but I felt like she needed a thread anyways...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whore.  You, not her.  Did you not read Spade's post?  Of course you did.  But you confirm the whoring of the teeny-bop crowd here.  Thanks for making me right as rain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Whore.  You, not her.  Did you not read Spade's post?  Of course you did.  But you confirm the whoring of the teeny-bop crowd here.  Thanks for making me right as rain.

I’m sorry. I just felt like that person today. (Now here comes all the criticism from many members that give criticism on about a monthly basis)...

• Haha 1

I don't think Bobbie Gentry has appeared in public or given a single interview since Douglas Bader was still alive. I'm doubtful this thread will draw her out of the woodwork.

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I don't think Bobbie Gentry has appeared in public or given a single interview since Douglas Bader was still alive. I'm doubtful this thread will draw her out of the woodwork.

However you could argue that someone with that much mystique is worthy of their own thread for pure speculation reasons and she is famous in her own right unlike many of the dying cancer moms who get their own threads. 

I can't be the only one who is convinced Bobbie Gentry is singing he'll never bone ya not he'll never phone ya? 

Listened to it a dozen times and just can't hear phone ya for all my efforts, it makes more sense as well...

Credit where credits due this obviously stuck in my head from a Peter Kay bit I saw on youtube.. (4:37)

12 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I can't be the only one who is convinced Bobbie Gentry is singing he'll never bone ya not he'll never phone ya? 

Listened to it a dozen times and just can't hear phone ya for all my efforts, it makes more sense as well...

Peter Kay thinks so too.

Just now, Cat O'Falk said:

Peter Kaye thinks so too.

You must have been posted this as I was editing my post. Suddenly remember he'd done a bit on misheard lyrics and whilst watching it it came up...

So what do we all think it was that they threw off that bridge?

Here's a photo of Bobbie crossing the Tallahatchie Bridge:

BobbieGentryBridge1967.jpg

As a reality check here 73 year Gentry has gathered a cult following amongst dad-rock types and serious sound hounds such that the likes of Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone play her stuff and marvel at the collision of gothic and country. The Delta Sweete album being particularly prized as - arguably - a masterpiece. There is a truly amazing book on 500 Albums You Won't Believe Until you Hear Them which discusses Delta Sweete in this regard.

The point being - she lives in a gated community and does nothing in public but remains obitable, albeit with no sign she's a workable pick.

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

As a reality check here 73 year Gentry has gathered a cult following amongst dad-rock types and serious sound hounds such that the likes of Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone play her stuff and marvel at the collision of gothic and country. The Delta Sweete album being particularly prized as - arguably - a masterpiece. There is a truly amazing book on 500 Albums You Won't Believe Until you Hear Them which discusses Delta Sweete in this regard.

The point being - she lives in a gated community and does nothing in public but remains obitable, albeit with no sign she's a workable pick.

I'm thinking of doing a theme team of stars who've shunned the limelight post-retirement now, could be fairly easy to fill. 

38 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I'm thinking of doing a theme team of stars who've shunned the limelight post-retirement now, could be fairly easy to fill. 

Rolf Harris

Gary Glitter

Michael Barrymore

Sid Little 

Eddie Large...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We do know that she’s still alive as of 2016 per this. 

Oddly enough, something I read reminded me of Bobbie Gentry and sent me down the internet rabbit hole last week.  I read all sorts of articles about her and learned a lot that I hadn't known.

For those who joined in the past five years: the joke here was that as Bobbie Gentry is a hermit, it was ridiculous starting a thread about her as there'd never be any updates.

• Like 1

She says hello.

bobbie-735x413.jpg

Looks like someone ran an Instagram "aging" filter on Taylor Swift 15 times.

• Like 1