markb4

Eva Marie Saint

I checked via the 'Search' function and couldn't find an Eva Marie Saint thread, so decided to create one so I could say happy 94th bday to her!

Sure there was one

Wasn't she discussed when she appeared at the Oscars this year, looking fabulous?

Another de Havilland, mayhap?

She's had plenty of mentions on the site but no thread named after her.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Wasn't she discussed when she appeared at the Oscars this year, looking fabulous?

Another de Havilland, mayhap?

Yeah, we could be waiting for Eva ...

Eva Marie Saint starred in 'Exodus'.  The theme from the movie subsequently had lyrics written for it by Pat Boone, and recorded by the Duprees.  FACT

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Eva Marie Saint starred in 'Exodus'.  The theme from the movie subsequently had lyrics written for it by Pat Boone, and recorded by the Duprees.  FACT

The dialogue of the film was edited by Javier Perez de Cuellar. FACT

• Like 1

I created this thread a year ago as a newbie to say happy 94th!

I post again a year later to say happy 95th bday!

• Like 5

North by Northwest is a classic . She's the only credited male or female actor actress alive from that movie. There is 10 uncredited actors/actresses possibly still alive some are hard to check.

• Like 2

If Eva Marie Saint makes it to her 100th birthday in 3 months, where would you rank her among the biggest movie star centenarians ever? Kirk Douglas, Bob Hope, Olivia de Havilland, George Burns and Glynis Johns are arguably top 5 at the moment. She should be up there on their level. Then we have the tier below, with the likes of Luise Rainer,  Gloria Stuart, Marsha Hunt, Norman Lloyd, Janis Paige, Baby Peggy, and so on.

Another question, has there ever been a movie with a would-be centenarian leading couple? Because Eva starred with Bob Hope in the 1956 comedy That Certain Feeling.

• Like 1

Eva also starred with Bob Hope in Cancel My Reservation (1972)

48 minutes ago, Predictor said:

If Eva Marie Saint makes it to her 100th birthday in 3 months, where would you rank her among the biggest movie star centenarians ever? Kirk Douglas, Bob Hope, Olivia de Havilland, George Burns and Glynis Johns are arguably top 5 at the moment. She should be up there on their level. Then we have the tier below, with the likes of Luise Rainer,  Gloria Stuart, Marsha Hunt, Norman Lloyd, Janis Paige, Baby Peggy, and so on.

Another question, has there ever been a movie with a would-be centenarian leading couple? Because Eva starred with Bob Hope in the 1956 comedy That Certain Feeling.

Arguably Gloria Stuart’s role in Titanic is more memorable across more generations than any of the roles played by any of the names in your top 5. 

54 minutes ago, Predictor said:

I would argue that Luise Rainer belongs with the formers that you mentionned : 2 oscars and one of the most prominent actress of the 30-40´s Hollywood movies. I doubt George Burns and Glynis Johns reache the level of the other 3 in terms of international notability though but I could be wrong and would glady accept it. 

other names that comes to mind at the moment are Lupita Tovar, Mary Carsisle, Micheline Presle, Gisèle Casadesus and Earl Cameron but I can’t tell how famous they’ve been outside of the deadpool zone 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Predictor said:

Of your big 5, I'd swap out George Burns with Gloria Stuart, and if Eva makes it to her 100th I'd say she'd take Glynis Johns place. On the tier below I'd 100% add Nehemiah Persoff, Earl Cameron and maybe Caren Marsh Doll. 

10 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Of your big 5, I'd swap out George Burns with Gloria Stuart, and if Eva makes it to her 100th I'd say she'd take Glynis Johns place. On the tier below I'd 100% add Nehemiah Persoff, Earl Cameron and maybe Caren Marsh Doll. 

I'd keep Burns over Stuart, personally.

Also I was today years old when I found out that, despite the press calling her a centenarian on her death (which I vaguely remember), Lillian Gish was only 99 1/2. I guess not everyone who makes 99 will make it to 100 or something.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Arguably Gloria Stuart’s role in Titanic is more memorable across more generations than any of the roles played by any of the names in your top 5. 

I will argue that Spartacus tops it.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I will argue that Spartacus tops it.

I beg to differ. Spartacus is one of my favourite movies but I doubt most ppl in their 20s and 30s would have seen it.

I would say Stuart as Old Rose, then Johns as Mrs Banks, then Douglas as Spartacus. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I beg to differ. Spartacus is one of my favourite movies but I doubt most ppl in their 20s and 30s would have seen it.

I would say Stuart as Old Rose, then Johns as Mrs Banks, then Douglas as Spartacus. 

Ah, but I think the "I'm Spartacus" meme is widely recognised, even by those who have never seen the film.  It has a life of its own.

• Like 1

There was a photo of George Burns smoking a cigar in my elementary school library in the 90s; so that dude was iconic to me as a child due to the bizarreness of it. Like why would this compel a 9 year old in 1994 to read?

I think in general people know Kirk Douglas by name and face -- or even just "Michael Douglas's dad", but not Eva Marie Saint or Glynis Johns. A lot of people said "who?" regarding the latter but knew instantly when I said the mom in Mary Poppins. I assume same situation with Gloria Stuart.

1_ba2db0e29fedac601b78530f35d782e4.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lilham said:

There was a photo of George Burns smoking a cigar in my elementary school library in the 90s; so that dude was iconic to me as a child due to the bizarreness of it. Like why would this compel a 9 year old in 1994 to read?

I think in general people know Kirk Douglas by name and face -- or even just "Michael Douglas's dad", but not Eva Marie Saint or Glynis Johns. A lot of people said "who?" regarding the latter but knew instantly when I said the mom in Mary Poppins. I assume same situation with Gloria Stuart.

1_ba2db0e29fedac601b78530f35d782e4.jpg

George Burns used to be very well known. I'm not sure why him smoking, as you noted, would somehow drive a child to read, instead of perhaps him reading the book he holds in his right hand, assuming any child when this poster was produced would have any idea who he is...

I didn't know anything about George Burns except that he was very old and kept going. There used to be a lot of jokes about it, like this Larson cartoon from 1991.

cd6b5629-c619-499f-a995-73c9c6b74320_571

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I remember at one of those free book dumps in middle school George Burns's autobiography was there and I took it and read it because I was just getting really into centenarians. Definitely one of my Sulu-iest sentences ever.

Weird you'd find George Burns's autobiography there in hindsight!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’d put Olivia de Havilland as Melanie in Gone with the Wind above all of them personally! It’s the most iconic movie of all time, still the highest-grossing movie ever when adjusted for inflation, and her part was bigger than most of the others mentioned (with the exception of Kirk Douglas)

• Like 1

On 15/04/2024 at 15:59, Ulitzer95 said:

I think that's fair, I was thinking about her career as a whole but Titanic really tipped the scale in her favour.

On 15/04/2024 at 16:03, Lafaucheuse said:

I would argue that Luise Rainer belongs with the formers that you mentionned : 2 oscars and one of the most prominent actress of the 30-40´s Hollywood movies. I doubt George Burns and Glynis Johns reache the level of the other 3 in terms of international notability though but I could be wrong and would glady accept it. 

other names that comes to mind at the moment are Lupita Tovar, Mary Carsisle, Micheline Presle, Gisèle Casadesus and Earl Cameron but I can’t tell how famous they’ve been outside of the deadpool zone 

Rainer was a bit of a one hit wonder (or two hit if you will, haha), wasn't she? Presle was definitely a huge star in France, I'll give you that, the rest were not in the same category nationally or internationally I think. I'd take Danielle Darrieux any day of the week ahead of Casadesus, for example.

On 15/04/2024 at 16:12, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Caren Marsh Doll's biggest claim to fame is a movie in which she didn't even appear! That says a lot. :lol: