Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

Sporting Bravery

So, I was reading about American cyclist Lawson Craddock, who broke his shoulder on the opening stage of this year's Tour De France.  This would be enough to make most mere mortals quit the race on the spot, but pro-cyclists know how to suffer and Craddock has kept going, in agony, through nine stages and is still in the race.

This made me think of other examples of sportsmen battling through adversity.  For example rugby's Wayne Shelford didn't let having his scrotum stapled back together stop him completing a match.  Not did Japanese Olympic gymnast Shun Fujimoto consider a broken knee any good reason to deter him from taking part in the rings exercise, achieving a perfect dismount from eight feet above the ground.

Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread about sports men and women who, for better or worse, fight their way through the pain barrier.  Feel free to post contemporary and historical examples here.

• Like 1

Perhaps not what you were looking for, but in 1923 Frank Hayes and his horse, Sweet Kiss, were victorious in a steeplechase after Hayes died mid-race.

• Like 4

There's Bert Trautmann, of course.

10 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Perhaps not what you were looking for, but in 1923 Frank Hayes and his horse, Sweet Kiss, were victorious in a steeplechase after Hayes died mid-race.

:o

• Like 2

Colin Meads was another example. Excerpt from his Wiki page:

His strength and high threshold for pain became legendary — best illustrated when in a game against

Eastern Transvaal in South Africa, in which he emerged from a particularly vicious ruck with his arm dangling horribly, with an obvious fracture, yet completed the match. When the doctor cut away his shirt and confirmed the break, Meads muttered, "At least we won the bloody game."[16] He missed the first two Tests, but returned for the third with his still broken arm held together by a thin guard.[17] Another incident occurred when Meads was kicked in the head, causing a large gash. The All Blacks doctor at the time wanted to take him to hospital so they could use anaesthetic, but Meads ordered him to do it right there in the dressing room.[17]

• Like 1

San Fran 49ers All Pro safety Ronnie Lott had his pinkie finger with multiple fractures during the playoffs and played the next game anyway, then rather than have reconstructive surgery he had the thing amputated as not to lose playing time the next season recovering.

SC

• Like 1

And of course this.

• Like 1

I'm not really an F1 fan but I'm going for Niki Lauda finishing 4th in the 1976 Italian Grand Prix just six weeks after being burnt alive in his car at Nuremburg.

From Wikipedia

'Lauda returned to race only six weeks (three races) later, appearing at the Monza press conference with his fresh burns still bandaged. He finished fourth in the Italian GP, despite being, by his own admission, absolutely petrified. F1 journalist Nigel Roebuck recalls seeing Lauda in the pits, peeling the blood-soaked bandages off his scarred scalp. He also had to wear a specially adapted AGV crash helmet so as to not be in too much discomfort.'

• Like 3

Good stuff, keep them coming.

Another cyclist, Riccardo Palea lost an eye in a collision with a horse-drawn carriage during the 1914 Giro D'Italia, but overcame this trifling inconvenience by getting back on his bike and carrying on regardless.

I once fell over in a three-legged race. :lol:

At the risk of making this thread all about cyclists, check out Phillippe Gilbert's crash during today's Tour De France stage.  Impressively he got back on his bike and rode on for another sixty kilometers, over two mountains, to finish the stage.  Only when Gilbert was eventually carted off to hospital was it established that he had in fact broken his kneecap :o

??

Was that after they'd all ridden into a tear gas cloud the politzi used to disperse fermers protesting?

Cloud hung around :D

Cyclists are to a man doped to the eyeballs, so shouldn't count.

Not athletes, just junkies with wheels going like fuck to their next fix.

And broken bones totals pale compared to NH jockeys, trooooo heroes.

• Like 2

Any doubt?

Poljanskis legs after 16 days last year, obviously ran out of veins in his arms to jag..

20045740_843365782488670_327765266501298

1 hour ago, charon said:

Hi

Cyclists fall at higher speed on to harder surfaces and then carry on. Jockeys just lie there.  I don't think they're allowed to even remount anymore? (in the unlikely event of their trusty steed waiting around for them). 

Mind, I can't see the cowardly cry baby Neymar cutting it in either profession tbh.

16 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

At the risk of making this thread all about cyclists, check out Phillippe Gilbert's crash during today's Tour De France stage.  Impressively he got back on his bike and rode on for another sixty kilometers, over two mountains, to finish the stage.  Only when Gilbert was eventually carted off to hospital was it established that he had in fact broken his kneecap :o

And for completeness

What your knee looks like the next day if you break your kneecap and then ride a further 60km.

20 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Cyclists fall at higher speed on to harder surfaces and then carry on. Jockeys just lie there.  I don't think they're allowed to even remount anymore? (in the unlikely event of their trusty steed waiting around for them). 

Mind, I can't see the cowardly cry baby Neymar cutting it in either profession tbh.

Higher speed is debatable.

As is harder grounds. Yer man went down a grass lined slope.

His knee

37782179_1435330029900763_31686899388414

is impressive but so whit?

Neymar bumped out of the Top Ten this year vote because he's a cunt, no worse than that wee shite Owen.

Future Robert Millers don't have half a ton of horse on top of them, they have a carbon fibre bicycle. Which weighs nothing.

And he's doped our his tits so feels nothing.......

Cyclists are scum, subhuman scum, and should be mowed down wherever possible. Wing mirrors are a Great Invention.

On 24/07/2018 at 16:50, charon said:

I just wanted to applaud charon for making a post without the word cunto appearing.  Excellent progress, although ‘count’ is an anagram and quite likely subliminal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 25/07/2018 at 21:31, charon said:

Higher speed is debatable.

As is harder grounds. Yer man went down a grass lined slope.

His knee

37782179_1435330029900763_31686899388414

is impressive but so whit?

Neymar bumped out of the Top Ten this year vote because he's a cunt, no worse than that wee shite Owen.

Future Robert Millers don't have half a ton of horse on top of them, they have a carbon fibre bicycle. Which weighs nothing.

And he's doped our his tits so feels nothing.......

Cyclists are scum, subhuman scum, and should be mowed down wherever possible. Wing mirrors are a Great Invention.

I'm not sure you get the point of this thread tbh.  I understand  (but don't particularly care) that cycling isn't a sport that meets with your approval.  So if you can name a jockey who has battled through adversity, go ahead and name him or her and I'll do my best not to denigrate and belittle whatever you come up with.   

• Like 1

Oh my.

What a comeback. I am goonna back down.

Like Fuck.

The point of the thread is 'bravery'.

Don't get me wrong, I watched the Tour when C4 started coverage 35 years ago, still listen in to the mountain stages when possible now. Great drama, proper television sport at times. The pro cyclists are mad, mental, but not brave.

Name me a pro cyclist in the last 60 years and I'd reply 'doper' with 100% accuracy.

Bravery would be doing the Classics with never having being doped previously, and that is a no no.

UK is now the World leader in masking, hence the prominence of their riders, its the reverse trace effect of positive results, and the hyperbaric tent shite to get the EPO benefits make me 'lol'.

So cut the shite and stop sounding like a Team Sky doctor, (and they should be physios but they need to inject), so doctors they are.....

Brave only if they have a fear of needles..........

Eta 3 things....

1/ I'm sure I read that WADA's budget is less than Wayne Rooney's salary. They ain't gonna catch many.

2/ one of the Williams sisters moaning about being racially targeted by having twice as many tests as any other tennis player.

Why 'no', its because you're a man playing wifies tennis.

C/  DDT owns 2 bikes minimum, one for daily use and one for holidays.

You're very Scottish Charon - I've got a friend just like you - total fkn nightmare after 4 pints.

6 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

You're very Scottish Charon - I've got a friend just like you - total fkn nightmare after 4 pints.

He's a wino, not a pint man. :D

• Thanks 1

:lol: Only one bike, which I lumber about rather slowly on. Not enough flat road around here. 

In the mid 90s the only pro in the top hundred believed to be clean was Chris Boardman.  Of course you can reply doper, but, as you well know, you can't say it with 100% accuracy, however forcefully you make the point.  

Accept I probably shouldn't have bitten, but it's the vitriol I find mildly offensive. I maintain that Phillippe Gilbert is a very brave man to cycle 60km with a broken knee, as is Lawson Craddock who has now cycled 3000km with a broken shoulder.  I'm not sure what drugs you think they're on which would diminish their agony, in fact even if they were dosed up to the eyeballs on morphine - which they're not - I'd still think they were brave.  

My thread.  Cyclists count!

Yours 

Subhuman Scum :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What I find offensive , is your repeated use of km instead of miles :D

Boardman by the way won a fucking watch when the French retested those 1998 samples for EPO, his was 'missing'. Unquestionably he was on "something' at some point. Plus the rumours of him being on a motorbike not a bike were fun.

* ftr Cat, I am a pint man at heart, just don't go to pubs at all these days, and only cuntos drink Guinness from cans so wine it is in the house.

** pints. Not 1/2 litres......