Wormfarmer

Inverse Survivor Dead Pool I

On 24/09/2018 at 05:17, The Quim Reaper said:

SUB 1) Hugh Downs (whoever the fucker is)

SUB 2) Lucia Hiriart (whoever the fucker is)

I know it's a Wiki click away, but trust me when I tell you Hugh Downs was a very popular presenter here in the States throughout the 60s-70s-80s-90s.   I can fully understand why anyone outside of the States would be scratching their heads at his name though.  Kinda like I am for LUCIA HIRIART (whoever the fucker is)

SC

9 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I know it's a Wiki click away, but trust me when I tell you Hugh Downs was a very popular presenter here in the States throughout the 60s-70s-80s-90s.   I can fully understand why anyone outside of the States would be scratching their heads at his name though.  Kinda like I am for LUCIA HIRIART (whoever the fucker is)

SC

Widow of General Pinochet (infamous dictator of Chile in 70s and 80s).

To my shame I wouldn't like to be quizzed on why any of the following were famous (I feel Beverly Cleary is the most embarrassing but right now I don't know (maybe a singer?)) and the list of people whose current health status I know nothing about is even more extensive.

Beverly Cleary, Norman Lloyd, I M Pei, Katherine Johnson, Lucia Hiriart, Bob Barker, John Paul Stevens, Norman Lear, Al Jaffee, Luis Escheverria, John Cruickshank, Hugh Downs, George Shultz, Carl Reiner, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Don Lusk, Kane Tanaka

So 17 names out of 60 and to be honest the list would be twice as long if I just arrived here - there is another list as follows of people I only know who they are because they are known to be dying soon/very ill

Greg Gilbert, Devin Lima, Simon Ricketts, Le Duc Anh, Genesis P-Orridge, Jose Jose, Sumner Redstone, Dilip Kumar, Ric Flair, Richard A. Overton, Roberta McCain, Sacheen Littlefeather.

A further 12 names.

So 29 out of 60 I wouldn't have a clue who they were if I had just landed on the site.

• Thanks 1

Right, without googling so off top of my head, @Grim Up North

Beverly Cleary - American Enid Blyton, wrote tonnes of kids books in the 1950s. Unlike Blyton, they mostly hold up as decently written yarns today.

Norman Lloyd - actor I *think* I havent actually seen in anything and only know due to being over 100.

I M Pei - Overrated architect.

Katherine Johnson - the woman who worked for NASA. Possibly the only one?

Lucia Hiriart - Pinochet's missuses,

Bob Barker - America's answer to Bob Monkhouse, also appeared in the surprisingly great Happy Gilmore (as I usually hate Adam Sandler)

, John Paul Stevens - US Supreme Court judge retired - seemingly highly respected as he was mostly sane, a rarity for top US judges...

, Norman Lear - I think he's US equivalent of Denis Norden without IBAOTN - ie not so known publicly but highly regarded comedy writer for others.

, Al Jaffee - Involved with MAD magazine, dunno much else.

, Luis Escheverria - Leader of some country. Mexico?

, John Cruickshank - VC holder, only know this because I used to mix him up with the Nobe Prize winner of similar name who died few years back same age.

, Hugh Downs - US game shows

, George Shultz - US politician, right? Under Reagan?

, Carl Reiner - Old guy who tells jokes on Twitter. I think he wrote stuff for Mel Brooks way back in the day?

, Lawrence Ferlinghetti - One of the Beat poets. No, seriously, one of them is still alive. Aged 99. Yeah I know, not very Beat Poet, is it? Take it up with him, not me.

, Don Lusk - Politician?

, Kane Tanaka - Super old person, not related to any poster on here, so same as all other super old centenarians mentioned on here. 

Struggled on a few.

I only know of Porridge and Le Duc Anh, among many others, due to this forum, however.

• Thanks 1

Hah, I have now googled Norman Lloyd - despite an extensive career in stuff I'm into - acting, producing and directing in stuff like the Tales of the Unexpected, Hitchcock Hour, Columbo, Murder She Wrote etc etc etc - I appear to have managed to miss every single episode of anything he was ever involved in!

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Beverly Cleary - American Enid Blyton, wrote tonnes of kids books in the 1950s. Unlike Blyton, they mostly hold up as decently written yarns today.

Norman Lloyd - actor I *think* I havent actually seen in anything and only know due to being over 100.

Bob Barker - America's answer to Bob Monkhouse, also appeared in the surprisingly great Happy Gilmore (as I usually hate Adam Sandler)

, John Paul Stevens - US Supreme Court judge retired - seemingly highly respected as he was mostly sane, a rarity for top US judges...

, Norman Lear - I think he's US equivalent of Denis Norden without IBAOTN - ie not so known publicly but highly regarded comedy writer for others.

, John Cruickshank - VC holder, only know this because I used to mix him up with the Nobe Prize winner of similar name who died few years back same age.

, Carl Reiner - Old guy who tells jokes on Twitter. I think he wrote stuff for Mel Brooks way back in the day?

, Lawrence Ferlinghetti - One of the Beat poets. No, seriously, one of them is still alive. Aged 99. Yeah I know, not very Beat Poet, is it? Take it up with him, not me.

, Don Lusk - Politician?

, Kane Tanaka - Super old person, not related to any poster on here, so same as all other super old centenarians mentioned on here. 

Struggled on a few.

I only know of Porridge and Le Duc Anh, among many others, due to this forum, however.

Haha - you win! Of the list I'm inclined to google Beverly Cleary (who I thought you meant was an American racist at first ;-)), IM Pei, Katherine Johnson (sounds interesting), John Cruickshank and Lawrence Ferlinghetti - the rest meh (but I'll probably have to before mid December to check I'm not missing out - they all sound super old though???).

Admittedly from Grim’s list I only heard of Bob Barker before I joined the forums, though I suspect I probably would’ve learned of John Paul Stevens had I been more interested in politics then. 

I don’t mind seeing names I never heard of before show up on the forums, I enjoy reading about their fascinating lives which opens up my mind more...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Haha - you win! Of the list I'm inclined to google Beverly Cleary (who I thought you meant was an American racist at first ;-)), IM Pei, Katherine Johnson (sounds interesting), John Cruickshank and Lawrence Ferlinghetti - the rest meh (but I'll probably have to before mid December to check I'm not missing out - they all sound super old though???).

Think Bob Barker's the youngest at a mere 95.

Cleary? I guess if you pick through her books ala folk do on Twitter, there's probably subtext to be "woke" or whatever they call it now - but I didn't see much of offense when I looked over a few of them a year or two back. Reminded me of the Cubs books by Stephen Andrews, a reference so obscure now he doesn't even have a Wiki page! (1970s kids book, everywhere in libraries about 20-30 years ago, dude is still alive but only 70...)

1 minute ago, msc said:

Think Bob Barker's the youngest at a mere 95.

Maybe I won't even google then.

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Reminded me of the Cubs books by Stephen Andrews, a reference so obscure now he doesn't even have a Wiki page! (1970s kids book, everywhere in libraries about 20-30 years ago, dude is still alive but only 70...)

I was a kid in the 70s and read a lot but don't remember them.

1 hour ago, msc said:

, Don Lusk - Politician?

Struggled on a few.

Johnson was one of a few black NASA women. I saw the movie about her when it was out and there were two other black women covered by the film (and while not in the film, I know there were white women as well, ie Margaret Hamilton - not the Wicked Witch one!).

Lear is a sitcom giant in the US, created tons and tons of them, All in the Family, Diff'rent Strokes to name but two. Has outlived a shitton of his stars too. I can think of three of them who were popular DDP hits (Bonnie Franklin, Pat Harrington, Charlotte Rae).

Shultz was most prominent in the Reagan era (think he was Sec of State?) but also had cabinet positions under Nixon and Ford.

Reiner early on was part of Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shows troupe along with Brooks, and also partnered with Brooks for The 2,000 Year Old Man (only thing for this post I had to Google, couldn't remember how many thousands it was...). He played a big role in The Dick Van Dyke Show, both behind-the-scenes and as one of the actors.

Lusk is one of the very last surviving early Golden Age animators. Ruthie Tompson and Milton Quon are the only others left, I believe. All were Disney (though in his later years Lusk also did Peanuts and Hanna Barbera). Lusk is the whippersnapper of the lot at a sprightly 104.

11 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

@Grim up north,

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.

My pleasure.

Looking stupid so others don't have to is one of my special talents.:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How can anyone not know who Bob Barker is?
"The Price is WRONG, Bob"  -- no one watch Happy Fn Gilmore?  If you did, and didn't know what the joke referred to, and didn't bother to find out, I am without hope for you.

People may be too young re: George Shultz, Carl Reiner (pretty much a crime not to know him, but...), or Norman Lear, and sadly probably 25% dumbass Americans don't know John Paul Stevens..... so I'm giving a pass.
But BOB BARKER?  Where in all of fucking hell have you been?  Inexcusable.  No body of water or date of birth avoids you being called an ignoramus at this point.  And if you've never seen Happy Gilmore, you're simply hopeless, cunto.

SC 

30 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

"The Price is WRONG, Bob"  -- no one watch Happy Fn Gilmore?  If you did, and didn't know what the joke referred to, and didn't bother to find out, I am without hope for you.

People may be too young re: George Shultz, Carl Reiner (pretty much a crime not to know him, but...), or Norman Lear, and sadly probably 25% dumbass Americans don't know John Paul Stevens..... so I'm giving a pass.
But BOB BARKER?  Where in all of fucking hell have you been?  Inexcusable.  No body of water or date of birth avoids you being called an ignoramus at this point.  And if you've never seen Happy Gilmore, you're simply hopeless, cunto.

SC 

Hi Sir Creep - what took you so long? :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Hi Sir Creep - what took you so long? :D

you know....sleepin off a drunk lol

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Because not everybody is American. Shocker? Yes, we know.

• Like 3

I've seen Happy Gilmore, but that doesn't mean that I know who everyone in it was. 

If Hugh Downs and Barbara Walter's are still alive in late Dec 2019,it would be incredibly tempting to pick them both for every "20/20" team

• Like 1

List of White Males: 

1. Rick Flair

2. Lawrence ferlinghetti

3. Carl Reiner

4. George Shultz

5. Hugh Downs

6. john cruickshank

7. Luis Escheverria

8. Javier Perez de Cuellar

9. Al jaffee

10. Pierre Cardin

11. Norman Lear

Since I'm out anyway, I'll just submit my list of old age white males. 

@John Key, First in one inverse pool, possibly first out in the other... fortune has been fickle with you indeed.

Hello again!

My list for October;

Roberta McCain

Pope Ben

Val Harper 

Leah

Bob Barket - whoever the fuck he is!

Petet Frates

Nobby Stiles 

Hugh Downs

Robert Mugabe

Clive James.

That's it for October..

I'll be gone till November.

Gone for a WWE pairing. Will Kane deliver a SmackDown? She might struggle, being 99 years my senior and all.

1. Kane Tanaka

2. Ric Flair

3. Fernando Ricksen
4. Simon Ricketts
5. Clive James
6. Marieke Vervoort
7. Pope Emeritus Benedict
8. Prunella Scales
9. Luis Echeverría
10. Roberta McCain

Mailed a while back to Wormy, but posted here cause he's not read it yet and don't want to fall foul of the lateness rule.

1 Greg Gilbert

2 Katherine Johnson

3 Jimmy Carter

4 Pope Benedict XVI

5 Ric Flair

6 Valerie Harper

7 Bob Barker (whoever the hell he is SC...:P)

8 John Cruickshank

9 I M Pei

10 Jose Jose (1 point)

Sub Vervoort 

23 hours ago, En Passant said:

Mailed a while back to Wormy, but posted here cause he's not read it yet and don't want to fall foul of the lateness rule.

1 Greg Gilbert

2 Katherine Johnson

3 Jimmy Carter

4 Pope Benedict XVI

5 Ric Flair

6 Valerie Harper

7 Bob Barker (whoever the hell he is SC...:P)

8 John Cruickshank

9 I M Pei

10 Jose Jose (1 point)

Sub Vervoort 

No fear, the thread is lying to you.  Your entry was read and booked some time ago.  I get the message via an email, and when I see it there, the site evidently doesn't know it. The only two players that currently may run afoul of the late entry rule are The Unknown Man and Madhatter 1.  And John Key's list is just for fun, as with the dawn of October round 1 is over and he is the first casualty with a big 4 points.  Round 2 runs until the end of Oct.  Who's next?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wormfarmer said:

No fear, the thread is lying to you.  Your entry was read and booked some time ago.  I get the message via an email, and when I see it there, the site evidently doesn't know it. The only two players that currently may run afoul of the late entry rule are The Unknown Man and Madhatter 1.  And John Key's list is just for fun, as with the dawn of October round 1 is over and he is the first casualty with a big 4 points.  Round 2 runs until the end of Oct.  Who's next?

Hi Wormfarmer - just reading the late entry rule again and it does not seem penal enough. Obviously I'm not suggesting you should change it mid round but just to consider a change going forward.

For example if someone died and they cost someone who had correctly submitted their team 10 points it seems unjust that someone who has failed to submit a team would only get hit with 5 points (no matter how late in the month it was).

i would suggest the penalty should be the max of 10 points then 9 for a second death etc

Otherwise you are potentially going to lose players who are actually submitting teams and be left with players who are not.

Ultinatrly it's your pool so do what you want and thanks for running but just an observation.

Cheers, GUN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1