Wormfarmer

Inverse Survivor Dead Pool I

3 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Hi Wormfarmer - just reading the late entry rule again and it does not seem penal enough. Obviously I'm not suggesting you should change it mid round but just to consider a change going forward.

For example if someone died and they cost someone who had correctly submitted their team 10 points it seems unjust that someone who has failed to submit a team would only get hit with 5 points (no matter how late in the month it was).

i would suggest the penalty should be the max of 10 points then 9 for a second death etc

I do like your thinking.  I may take it exactly as you suggest, or maybe do something like this:  Upon any death, the penalty is the highest number of points scored by an active list, +2.  Or something similar.  And since there has been no incident to invoke it yet, as long as it does not happen to the two late comers this month, I may install it as a rule starting in round 3.  I think the reason that I did not go that high originally is because if someone is just a day or two late and for a good reason (who knows, death in the family, illness, etc) a 10 point penalty would almost surely spell their deathknell.  But I agree that is more logical than having someone else go home that submitted on time.  Thanks!  WF

Oct/Nov - round 2          
theoldlady wormfarmer skinny kiltrunner clorox bleachman joey russ paddyfool
johnson johnson flair tanaka gilbert gilbert
mugabe harper carter flair carter nolan
day  ricksen harper ricksen cardin rogers
lynn ricketts cruickshank ricketts lima flair
de cuellar gilbert philips james cruickshank reiner
kumar kissinger pope ben vervoort harper frates
jose lear QE2 pope ben kumar vervoort
rogers anh orridge scales stevens dehavilland
reiner prince p james escheverria orridge lynn 
wouk jose lima r mccain gascoine jose

quim reaper bibliogryphon msc grim up north sir creep en passant
pope ben dehavilland pope ben flair barker gilbert
QE2 gilbert carter barker vervoort johnson
prince p pei dole mugabe james carter
harper greaves flair cardin harper pope ben
ferlinghetti barker bracknell james littlefeather flair
stiles scales wouk harper dehavilland harper
james james frates kissinger kumar barker
kissinger lloyd gilbert rogers flair cruickshank
lynn channing dehavilland ricketts bracknell pei
overton mercier phillips day cruickshank jose

captain chorizo qtips unknown man madhatter (1)    
pope ben r mccain pending pending Eliminated  
barker pope ben now in penalty phase now in penalty phase Rd 1 - john key 4  
johnson harper 6 + 3 = 9 6 + 3 = 9    
dehavilland bracknell        
lima barker        
day frates        
harper stiles        
cruickshank downs        
pei mugabe        
r mccain

james  

Devin Lima gives JRuss the most pts on an active list with 6.  The two players who have not submitted (yes, I know they have probably dropped out at this point) both receive 6 pts plus 3 penalty points so they each have 9.  If things stay this way through Nov, they will be the two teams eliminated and JRuss and Capn Cho will be the lucky beneficiaries.  However, they will both have carryover pts which will be used against them in future tie situations (as will Skinny with 1 pt).  see next post below:

I am thinking of a new tiebreaking criteria, that would only currently harm one player by implementing it after the game was begun (Madhatter).  And if madhatter doesn't get a team in soon, he may be eliminated anyway by the end of this month.  The new criteria would be that the first tiebreaker will be cumulative points scored in previous months.  Right now, madhatter is the only team with any points from round 1 and it is only 1 point.  If anyone has a problem with this new rule, speak up before the end of the month, and preferably before any hits are recorded here in Oct.  Check your Oct teams for accuracy (other than minor typos).  Game on! 

Fittlefeather!  :P

sounds like an interjection for if you get eliminated from this DP

Follow-up to paddyfool's analysis for last month. People most at risk of being eliminated by a single death:

theoldlady - Mugabe (9 pts), Day (8), Vera Lynn (7), Cuellar (6), Kumar (5), José (4) [highest score, not the good kind, think golf]

Bibliogryphon - de Havilland (10), Pei (8), Greaves (7), Scales (5), Lloyd (3), Channing (2), Mercier (1) [most potentially eliminatory picks]

Sir Creep - Barker (10), Vervoort (9), James (8), Littlefeather (6)

The Quim Reaper - Lizzie and Phil (9+8), Ferlinghetti (6), Stiles (5), Overton (1)

paddyfool - Nolan (9), Rogers (8), Reiner (6), Frates (5)

Wormfarmer - Harper (9), Kissinger (5), Lear (4), Lê (3)

QTips - Roberta McCain (10), Bracknell (7), Downs (3)

Joey Russ - Cardin (8), Lima (6), Stevens (3), Gascoine (1)

Skinny kiltrunner - Cruickshank (7), Leslie Phillips (6), P-Orridge (3)

msc - Dole (8), Wouk (5)

Clorox Bleachman - Tanaka (10), Echeverría (2)

En Passant - Katherine Johnson (9)

Captain Chorizo; Grim Up North - well done!

Also, Skinny kiltrunner's team on the masterlist is different to the team he posted.

7 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Follow-up to paddyfool's analysis for last month. People most at risk of being eliminated by a single death:

theoldlady - Mugabe (9 pts), Day (8), Vera Lynn (7), Cuellar (6), Kumar (5), José (4) [highest score, not the good kind, think golf]

Bibliogryphon - de Havilland (10), Pei (8), Greaves (7), Scales (5), Lloyd (3), Channing (2), Mercier (1) [most potentially eliminatory picks]

The Quim Reaper - Lizzie and Phil (9+8), Ferlinghetti (6), Stiles (5), Overton (1)

msc - Dole (8), Wouk (5)

Also, Skinny kiltrunner's team on the masterlist is different to the team he posted.

Well last month I managed to get the no unique eliminations position so I may have been playing this game all wrong a bit too short termism

4 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

msc - Dole (8), Wouk (5)

That last bit, yeah.  My list starts out OK for the first 2, but then it all goes to hell on the masterlist compared to the one I submitted.  Not sure what happened.   If it can be changed back to my original submission, great.  If not, meh.

I'll assume 'Carkin' on GUN's is 'Cardin', though that is a truly poor omen.

• Haha 1

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:53, Skinny kiltrunner said:

That last bit, yeah.  My list starts out OK for the first 2, but then it all goes to hell on the masterlist compared to the one I submitted.  Not sure what happened.   If it can be changed back to my original submission, great.  If not, meh.

Looks like I started out transcribing your list, then at the #9 spot, where you both had Carter, I jumped over and finished out with Joey Russ's list.  All better now. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2018 at 06:43, Wormfarmer said:

If we have a month where NO TEAM scores a hit (hopefully unlikely, but sometimes it gets slow . . . ), all lists will carry on into the next month, no changes allowed. 

So this is looking increasingly plausible this round, with only 10 days to go... 

Also, to the two players who didn't submit a team this month: are you dropping out, or what?

On 21/10/2018 at 02:46, paddyfool said:

So this is looking increasingly plausible this round, with only 10 days to go... 

Also, to the two players who didn't submit a team this month: are you dropping out, or what?

So I'm a little confused at this point.

If there is no death then all the lists roll over unaltered to next month. Okay and MH and TUM? Do they get eliminated for a whole month passing without them entering a team or does their non submission roll over to next month?

And presumably we all need to submit a team for next month anyhow just in case someone should die in last day of this month but that team will not come into play whatsoever if no-one dies or will it then automatically be the team that comes into play following the month in which someone dies from all the original October teams?

And the rules about people you can pick for the next month - if the October team is simply rolling over what happens to the ineligible picks - do September picks simply stay on the 'you can only pick 5 of them' status until there is a death from the October lists?

• Like 1

Hopefully I can clear up some of the Q's from GUN above:  We will just hold the teams as is for October, we will still be in Rd 2.  No need to submit new teams "just in case".  If someone dies, even on the last day, then I will just update scores, eliminate the loser for the round and start accepting Nov (rd 3) teams immediately.  However, note that to keep the competition on schedule, at the end of Nov the 2 teams with the highest scores will BOTH be eliminated.  I am not sure I understand the final question, but maybe this will address it:  When new teams are needed, whether it is Nov or Dec, you cannot use any names from your prior active list, but you can go back two lists (in this case Sept lists) and use up to 5 of the names you had there.  This requires some turnover, and prevents people from just reusing the same 10 names from month to month.  

Finally, our MIA teams can still submit, but if any death from the master list happens before they do, they will incur a penalty equal to the highest score by an active list, plus 3 points.  So if IMPei died and the highest resulting score from that death was 6 points, the MIA teams would all score 9.  This rule has been discussed and is a change from the version posted at the onset of this pool, but I think it is a fairer way to assess penalties on late submitters.  It does not guarantee that a late submitter will go home at the end of the month, but it makes it likely.  Unfortunately it appears it may come into play sooner rather than later.  

Everybody good?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LOL I'd have certainly turned in a different set of names had I paid attention to the carryover rule.  It's a fair cop.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

LOL I'd have certainly turned in a different set of names had I paid attention to the carryover rule.  It's a fair cop.

Whoever dies, it would appear that we're all perfectly safe as long as at least one team is MIA.

Oh, looks like I’m the one who fucked up here as I’m the one who put Lima the highest. Oh well...

• Like 1

Wow. Saved by the rollover rule. My drafted team for November which didn't get to be used had Devin Lima in the top spot. Phew.

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Oh, looks like I’m the one who fucked up here as I’m the one who put Lima the highest. Oh well...

You will be saved by the non entry of TUM and Mad Hatter - happy Thanksgiving Joey!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

You will be saved by the non entry of TUM and Mad Hatter - happy Thanksgiving Joey!

My mind just turned to mush.  So people who quit playing this DP....are playing this DP?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

My mind just turned to mush.  So people who quit playing this DP....are playing this DP?

If you think this is confusing try getting your head around the UEFA Nations League.

30 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

If you think this is confusing try getting your head around the UEFA Nations League.

Scotland beat Israel, somehow qualify for the Euro 2020 playoffs before the qualifiers are played and play that playoff at Hampden (if needed). Great tournament.

Obv if Israel had scored that equaliser, worst tournament ever. Naturally.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, msc said:

Scotland beat Israel, somehow qualify for the Euro 2020 playoffs before the qualifiers are played and play that playoff at Hampden (if needed). Great tournament.

Obv if Israel had scored that equaliser, worst tournament ever. Naturally.

Scotland were Jew a bit of luck in international football.

Lots of joke possibilities in a Scotland vs. Israel matchup.  I'll leave them to others though. 

3 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

True, but that likely means that I won’t be safe in December...

5 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

True, but that likely means that I won’t be safe in December...

The same as everyone else then?

You got a mulligan, be happy ;)