Wormfarmer

Inverse Survivor Dead Pool I

Logical oddity of this game: if at least one person has not submitted a team, you end up in a better position in the subsequent round if one of your team dies, because only 9 options rather than 10 are closed off to you.

EDIT: I suppose, also, that now we'd better start thinking about our December teams.

I'm still failing to understand in the least why a non-entry is 'considered' as an existing entry.  Master of Ceremonies, indulge me.  I'm not after Joey's hide on this.  If it happened to me, I would simply bow out gracefully as totally undeserving.  How in all of hell does a person who didn't submit a list influence the game?  

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I'm still failing to understand in the least why a non-entry is 'considered' as an existing entry.  Master of Ceremonies, indulge me.  I'm not after Joey's hide on this.  If it happened to me, I would simply bow out gracefully as totally undeserving.  How in all of hell does a person who didn't submit a list influence the game?  

Because those two teams entered last round, and as such if they were allowed to continue despite not having a team, it would be unfair to those who did enter their team last time...

It's too late to change the rules for this month and be fair on everyone, but from next month, shall we just eject anyone who doesn't get a list submitted by the end of the first week?

Speaking of which, we should get going on plotting next month's lists...

• Like 1

On 08/10/2018 at 05:38, Wormfarmer said:

Check your Oct teams for accuracy (other than minor typos).  Game on! 

Any New names to choose from when we do the list for December? Perhaps we need an updated list of the remaining names we can choose from as well. Thank you.:)

To catch up on some of the "controversies" of the game:  I should reiterate that this is a survivor style pool.  Some folks (based on early thread chatter) seem to mistake this term to reference the names we are choosing from as being some kind of survivors.  Nope - WE are the survivors - the ones that don't get eliminated and continue on to play the subsequent month.  We have a long running an well watched show called Survivor in the states that works this way, so that is what I am referencing.  I think it was once a European show, but no idea if it had any legs over there like it does here.  Anyway, the 17 entries we got at the start are the pool of survivors, and each has to be eliminated fairly.  I was hoping that all entries would show diligence in submitting a list every month, but things happen and people get busy and fade away . . . yada yada.  Still, to keep with the timeline we eliminate them in a systematic timeframe, otherwise this thing would probably be over in February if we cut out everyone who was late with a list every month.  So yes, players like Joey (in this months case) are benefitting because the pool is getting smaller because of people not putting in the effort.  I have yet another way to balance this conundrum if you will accept it for future months:  Beginning on the 5th of the month, a point is scored for each day a list is not submitted.   This penalty is in addition to the +3 pts penalty already in place.  This allows someone who submits a team a week late to still beat someone who submits 2 weeks late (or not at all), and eliminates someone even if there are no deaths for the month.  Any comments on this?

I know I am a wee bit early, but I am going out on a limb and calling the two teams that never got a team in the fatalities for the month.  I only have one team submitted so far for Dec, and there is never a penalty for submitting a team early, so go ahead whenever you get a chance.  Remember, no names allowed from your Rd 2 list, but you can use up to 5 names from your rd 1 list.  See the top of the thread for an update of the list (only one name died, so I only added one new name for Dec).  Congrats to Joey and Capn Cho for escaping the month, but they have 6 and 5 carryover pts, respectively, which may work against them if they are caught in a tie in the future.  Skinny K would not have been eliminated, but also got 1 carryover pt.  We are down to 14 teams. . . . .

December list

1. Prince Philp

2. Pierre Cardin

3. Jill Gascoigne

4. George Shultz

5. Robert Mugabe

6. Bob Dole

7. Javier Perez de Cuellar

8. Yasuhiro Nakasone

9. Beverly Clearly

10. Carl Reiner

On 30/08/2018 at 11:36, msc said:
On 30/08/2018 at 11:32, Sir Creep said:

Yes I have little problem posting here either.  At least I know its posted.  I'm posting exactly as I jotted them down, no bother re-arranging them.  The FF Gods find favor in me.

Sir Creep's Survivors:
2. Greg Gilbert
6. Pete Frates
10. Devin Lima

So I know who to thank if my DDP team rises from the dead in September now. :D

Boy, I hope I get a bag of whole bean coffee or summat.   Can't wait to see what I'm getting! ^_^

• Haha 1

Sir Creep's 'Ten For To See It The 2019':
1. *Greg Gilbert (10 points)
2. *Linda Nolan
3. *Pierre Cardin
4. *Kenny Rogers
5. *QE2
6. Doris Day
7. Hugh Downs
8. Bob Dole
9. Henry Kissinger
10. Al Jaffee (1 point)

*denotes five carryovers from September list.
HEY weren't there a couple new names so as to keep it at 60 names?  Maybe Littlefeather was one but I don't see the post now.  Ah well....

1. Bob Barker
2. Marieke Vervoort
3. Clive James
4. Valerie Harper
5. Sacheen Littlefeather

6. Olivia de Havilland
7. Dilip Kumar
8. Ric Flair
9. Leah Bracknell
10. John Cruickshank

My list for December 2018:

10. Valerie Harper

9. Carol Channing

8. Queen Elizabeth 2*

7. Henry Kissinger*

6. IM Pei

5. Olivia de Havilland*

4. Jimmy Carter*

3. Pope Benedict XVI

2. Leah Bracknell

1. Hugh Downs*

* I had these on my list in September.

10 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

I know I am a wee bit early, but I am going out on a limb and calling the two teams that never got a team in the fatalities for the month.  I only have one team submitted so far for Dec, and there is never a penalty for submitting a team early, so go ahead whenever you get a chance.  Remember, no names allowed from your Rd 2 list, but you can use up to 5 names from your rd 1 list.  See the top of the thread for an update of the list (only one name died, so I only added one new name for Dec).  Congrats to Joey and Capn Cho for escaping the month, but they have 6 and 5 carryover pts, respectively, which may work against them if they are caught in a tie in the future.  ××Skinny K would not have been eliminated, but also got 1 carryover pt.  We are down to 14 teams. . . . .xx

Wait, so I'm out?  

1. Fernando Ricksen 

2. Clive James

3. John McCririck

4. Kirk Douglas 

5. Olivia de Havilland 

6. Vera Lynn 

7. Roberta McCain

8. Leah Bracknell 

9. Norman Lloyd 

10. IM Pei

December list

1.vervoort

2.mcririck

3.nolan

4.jafee

5.mercier

6.mugabe

7.stevens

8.overton

9.gascoine

10. Stiles

1. QE 2*

2. Kenny Rogers*

3. Linda Nolan

4. Jill Gascoine

5. Clive James*

6. John McCririck

7. Fernando Ricksen

8. Pierre Cardin

9. Bob Dole

10. Leah Bracknell

*September.

Hello again..

My list;

Jimmy Carter

QE2

Prince Philip

Mr Dole

Mr Gilbert

Pierre Cardin

John McCririck

Fernando Rickson

Olivia De Havilland 

Kenny Rogers.

Thanks.

1. Sheila Mercier
2. Norman Lear
3. Norman Lloyd
4. Robert Mugabe
5. Prince Philip
6. Greg Gilbert
7. John Paul Stevens
8. Kenny Rogers
9. Pete Frates
10. Jimmy Greaves

7 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Wait, so I'm out?  

Unknown Man and Mad Hatter are out.  Joey Russ and Captain Chorizo scored this round but dodge the bullets due to the former two teams not submitting a list.  You, Skinny, had Devin Lima at the #1 spot so you had 1 point for the round.  Only the two highest scoring teams were eliminated, so you would not have been one of them.  Your point, however, lurks in the background and in a future round, if you are tied with another team for the lead, this point will be compared to the other teams carryover total and it (may) work against you.  Unless the team you are tied with has more than 1, in which case you will be ok.  That is all I was saying. 

9 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Wait, so I'm out?  

That’s the Skinny.

Back to a political theme list (ran out of political figures due to the overlap of 5 with my first list, so I threw in a magnate at the end)

Queen Elizabeth II

Jimmy Carter

Robert Mugabe

Bob Dole

Yasuhiro Nakasone

Luis Escheverria

Pope Benedict XVI

Roberta McCain

John Paul Stevens

Sumner Redstone