Wormfarmer

Inverse Survivor Dead Pool I

On 01/09/2019 at 14:54, paddyfool said:

Looks like Bobby Mugs is my number 10. I didn't really re-research my list at all this time.

OUCH!!!!

• Like 2

I had a lucky escape here. 

I had Jose Jose provisionally drafted into my October team.

Getting tense now

Will PM October team now.

So running with the same three loosely themed teams in sequence perpetually with minimal tweaks wasn't a winning strategy. Who knew? 

(To be fair, I intended to be slightly less lazy in the unlikely event that I ever got to the final two). 

• Like 2

theoldlady (9) cap'n chorizo  msc (10) bibliogryphon
QE 2 flair bracknell ferlinghetti
bracknell  s carter douglas gilbert
carter  s QE 2  s prince p QE 2  s
kissinger newton-john lynn flair  s
p-orridge gascoine deCuellar kissinger  s
reiner lear scales nolan
redstone reiner  s gilbert  s pope ben XVI
barker eden nolan  s shultz
cardin littlefeather vervoort james
kerslake deCuellar  s rogers eden  s

We are really getting down to the titans of the game.  I see a potential weakness in this format, and that is that with fewer teams remaining, fewer names get selected and there is less chance for an elimination.  So from this month on, points scored without elimination will carry over into the next round.  For example, if only the queen mum goes this round, theoldlady will be eliminated, but both Cap'n Cho and Biblio will carry 8 pts with them into the next round.  Meaning msc will have a head start for the next round.  Right now all teams are equal in all respects.  

An "s" after a name means you are safe if it is the only hit this round.  Biblio has 4 of them, so you might consider him to have the safest list and best chance of moving on to the next round.  We will see if that pans out.   Enjoy the obits!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

queen mum

You're a touch late on that one. :lol:

On 01/10/2019 at 03:14, Wormfarmer said:
theoldlady  cap'n chorizo  msc  bibliogryphon
QE 2 flair bracknell ferlinghetti
bracknell  s carter douglas gilbert
carter  s QE 2  s prince p QE 2  s
kissinger newton-john lynn flair  s
p-orridge gascoine deCuellar kissinger  s
reiner lear scales nolan
redstone reiner  s gilbert  s pope ben XVI
barker eden nolan  s shultz
cardin littlefeather vervoort james
kerslake deCuellar  s rogers eden  s

We are really getting down to the titans of the game.  I see a potential weakness in this format, and that is that with fewer teams remaining, fewer names get selected and there is less chance for an elimination.  So from this month on, points scored without elimination will carry over into the next round.  For example, if only the queen mum goes this round, theoldlady will be eliminated, but both Cap'n Cho and Biblio will carry 8 pts with them into the next round.  Meaning msc will have a head start for the next round.  Right now all teams are equal in all respects.  

An "s" after a name means you are safe if it is the only hit this round.  Biblio has 4 of them, so you might consider him to have the safest list and best chance of moving on to the next round.  We will see if that pans out.   Enjoy the obits!

Yikes! What happens here since Leah died in September. :rip:

13 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Yikes! What happens here since Leah died in September. :rip:

Very strange indeed.  Nobody had Leah on their September list so the outcome of that month would have been the same (whew!) And the world seemed unaware of Leah's passing as of October 1, so my inclination is to keep the lists as they are and use the death announcement date as the date that counts.  That gives msc 10 pts toward elimination, and 9pts for theoldlady, which will become carryover pts should nothing else happen for the rest of Oct.  Another way of looking at it would be to score the pts as a penalty for having  someone already dead, but that seems unfair since it was not a mere research error on the part of the contestants.

4 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

Very strange indeed.  Nobody had Leah on their September list so the outcome of that month would have been the same (whew!) And the world seemed unaware of Leah's passing as of October 1, so my inclination is to keep the lists as they are and use the death announcement date as the date that counts.  That gives msc 10 pts toward elimination, and 9pts for theoldlady, which will become carryover pts should nothing else happen for the rest of Oct.  Another way of looking at it would be to score the pts as a penalty for having  someone already dead, but that seems unfair since it was not a mere research error on the part of the contestants.

Hmm, a rule change from earlier in the game when my December pick of Bush Sr died in November and was subbed out for Sub 1.

Brackers is dead but she died in September, not October.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, msc said:

Hmm, a rule change from earlier in the game when my December pick of Bush Sr died in November and was subbed out for Sub 1.

Yes, I think we should be able to enter a Sub. I would not have picked Leah if I had the information that she had passed in September. Can we send a Sub? @Wormfarmer (this was not our fault or laziness on our part that this happened, rather there was a type of news blackout that was no fault of our own.

I have Vervoort so am in the losers spot for sure now.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, msc said:

I have Vervoort so am in the losers spot for sure now.

Do not give up yet. Bracknell died in September so the points you and I have for her are incorrect - Wormfarmer should let us submit our substitute for her. With Vervoort you only have 2 points. All is not lost for you yet.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 03:59, msc said:

Not a rule change, but a different instance.  In the former, you submitted a team for the next month in which a member died before making it to the start of the month and the list becoming active.   In the latter, (all) lists were submitted for the month without knowledge of one of the members being deceased prior.  Since nobody had any way of knowing Leah was dead (for over two weeks) prior to the announcement, it seems fair to me to treat her as alive until the announcement (on Oct 16th), and just penalize the folks who assumed she was going to live until at least Nov 1st the appropriate points (I still have not seen an actual date printed anywhere, just "September").  Maybe it's a subtle difference, but that is my current decision.  I realize this was not a mistake or laziness on the part of msc and theoldlady, but still both of you expected Leah to live longer than she did and you wagered points on it, while Cap'n Cho and Bibliogryphon did not.  If Cap'n Cho and Bibliogryphon want to chime in and agree to strike the points for Bracknell from the game, I will reconsider it.  In that case, it would still be msc on the bubble, but by a slimmer margin. 

I think it's fair if msc and theoldlady get to replace their picks since no one was aware of her passing when she was picked and she was in such a high spot on both rosters, their is no strategic advantage to letting them pick a sub after seeing all 4 teams since any hit to the Bracknell replacement would be fatal.

• Thanks 1

I will be OK if you decide to allow replacements

Dead Poolng equivalent of VAR.

• Thanks 1

I have sent Wormfarmer a name that can be used as a sub since Bracknell died in September, but have not heard anything yet. 
Hopefully MSC and I will lose the Bracknell penalty. :duck:

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am submitting my November team. Is it required?

Yes,from my understanding the only reason rosters have or would be carried to the next round is 0 points for all have been scored or there is a tie. With less then 24 hours to go no matter what Worm rules on Bracknell a tie is only happening with some Oct 31 hits.

Here we are - - - just hrs away from the close of round 12 and what a crazy round it was!  No matter how I slice it, we are saying goodbye to msc who leaves with either 12 or 2 points with two or one hits for the month.  Leah Bracknell has been the difficult one to score, I am just thankful that somehow no one had her on a list last month or the controversy would have been magnified.  So after polling the two survivors who were unaffected by the Bracknell imbroglio, there seems to be enough kindness left in this game that theoldlady will slide into the final three with no residual points and thus no disadvantage for making it to the finals. 

For this next round, a few notes: Of 30 possible, 26 different names were chosen.  theoldlady seems to have the strategic edge as her list has two sheltered names (she will not be eliminated in those cases should that be the only hit of the month) while biblio has one sheltered name, and Capn Cho will be eliminated with all 10 of his choices dying.  Residual points will again apply, so if you survive the round, but scored points, your points will follow you into the final.  I will cut and paste the rosters in my following post - - - -

• Thanks 1

Nov teams: Round 13    
theoldlady  cap'n chorizo  bibliogryphon
pope ben xvi s lloyd scales
ferlinghetti nolan kerslake
shultz rogers de Havilland
deCuellar frates pope ben xvi - s
rogers - s trintignant lear
flair prince p prince p
prince p - s alagiah mercier
gilbert cardin mccain
newton-john k johnson philips
eden escheverria tanaka
  • Like 1

Final observation:  There is one circumstance that would produce an instant winner and give theoldlady the trophy - - -if Prince Philip is the only name to go in November.  Anyone want to take those odds??

• Haha 2

Defensive tactical blunder on my part,only picked Katherine Johnson because she was in a high spot on the 2 teams last time they were eligable to use her. Really though multiple people of extreme age on all 3 teams so this competition could go any way.

• Like 1

Notice !!!  to the three remaining survivors of this 17 month pool (bibliogryphon, theoldlady, captain chorizo):  My original plan of ending this pool by the end of 2019 looks like it could be a pipe dream.  We need to finish this round and then have a round of 20 or less names (depending on overlap in the lists) hit in the month of December to do it.  So the final round between our two survivors of Nov will consist of something different.  You will each pick 25 names from the list (I will probably add 5 to 10 names to it so that it isn't too restrictive) and rank them for the final.  There will be no restrictions on whether you picked them in Nov or not.  All names on the list will be eligible for your final list.  That will give us 25++ names to depend on for the final round and help us reach our goal of producing a winner in 2019.  Thanks so much for sticking it out, and congratulations to the one of the three of you who comes out on TOP!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wormfarmer said:

Notice !!!  to the three remaining survivors of this 17 month pool (bibliogryphon, theoldlady, captain chorizo):  My original plan of ending this pool by the end of 2019 looks like it could be a pipe dream.  We need to finish this round and then have a round of 20 or less names (depending on overlap in the lists) hit in the month of December to do it.  So the final round between our two survivors of Nov will consist of something different.  You will each pick 25 names from the list (I will probably add 5 to 10 names to it so that it isn't too restrictive) and rank them for the final.  There will be no restrictions on whether you picked them in Nov or not.  All names on the list will be eligible for your final list.  That will give us 25++ names to depend on for the final round and help us reach our goal of producing a winner in 2019.  Thanks so much for sticking it out, and congratulations to the one of the three of you who comes out on TOP!  

OK! Sounds interesting. It will also be fun if we ALL 3 make it to December and we have 3 lists with 25 names! :salute:

On 03/08/2018 at 20:43, Wormfarmer said:

Kirk Douglas, Prince Philip, Clive JamesOlivia deHavilland, Vera Lynn, Beverly Cleary, Norman Lloyd, Nobby Stiles, Jimmy Carter, Greg Gilbert, Linda Nolan, Jill Gascoine, Prunella Scales,  Leslie Phillips, Jimmy Greaves, Henry Kissinger, Queen E II, Genesis P-Orridge, Pete Frates (died Dec), Katherine Johnson, Sheila Mercier (died Dec), Lucia Hiriart, Sumner Redstone, Bob Dole, Bob Barker, Dilip Kumar, Kenny Rogers, Norman Lear, Pierre Cardin, Yasuhiro Nakasone, Al Jaffee, Javier Perez de Cuellar, Luis Escheverria, John Cruickshank, Hugh Downs, George Shultz, Carl Reiner, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Ric Flair, Kane Tanaka, Pope Benedict XVI, Roberta McCain, Sachen Littlefeather, Jean Louis Trintignant, George Alagiah, Jerry Stiller, Olivia Newton-John, Micah Bowie, Sam Lloyd, Lee Kerslake, Clarissa Eden.  (51)

Above are the remaining names left in the game.  In addition, these are the new names to choose from for the final round, of which you must use at least 3!  Pick and rank 25 of them.  Do not worry about avoiding names you used in the last round.  David Gulpilil, Chris Doleman, Yoko Ono, Samantha Last, John Andretti, Betty White, Daniel Arap Moi, Alex Trebek, Renee Simonot, Henry Gray.  (10)  That's a total of 59 names to pick from - 2 died before we started the final round. 

Edited by Wormfarmer
Two names did not make it to December, 2 hits in Dec so far
  • Like 1