DeathClock

Joe Biden

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

These senior moments are clearly getting more serious and frequent.I find it implausible he will be able to run in 2024.Imagine him being guided on and off stage and making mistakes like that during debates or hustings.If Democrats do badly in the Midterms I reckon maneuvered will start.The idea of him fighting the 2024 election appears  nearly implausible now.

I've said for a while now that neither Trump nor Biden will run in 2024. 

The Dems will lose the House, keep the Senate. Not sure what you consider bad or good via the midterms

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

I've said for a while now that neither Trump nor Biden will run in 2024. 

The Dems will lose the House, keep the Senate. Not sure what you consider bad or good via the midterms

I think Trump will run still but pressure will be placed on him not to for De Santis.

Bad I would consider both the house and Senate or losing either massively.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TQR said:

Anyone fancy some context?

Context? Nah. People want things to be exciting like under Trump they're too boring now.

• Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Being a rich American will mean that he will have a better than average chance of going beyond the other averages.

Just sayin, like.

I know this is gonna blow your mind, but the other American presidents, were Americans too. Who knew?

• Facepalm 2

7 hours ago, DaDeathGuy said:

I know this is gonna blow your mind, but the other American presidents, were Americans too. Who knew?

No shit Sherlock.

He's clearly not the same man he once was, but then, he is 80. Even Dianne Feinstein showed mental decline in her 80s, and all she's done for 40 years is sit in a comfy chair and bark orders at people!

The Biden Presidency all but admits this - look at how quickly they're trying to get stuff done - infrastructure, green energy, jobs, protections we take for granted in the UK - all at once, because it's a 4 year tenure, not an 8 year one. Which so far has worked - Biden's managed to get more of his plans passed through the Senate than any democrat since LBJ? FDR? A long time anyhow. 

But...the problem is, that Democrats seemed to buy into the Hilary Clinton or bust idea for so long, they never built up any potential challengers. So she sunk, and they're a bit like Labour in 2010 - where's the contenders? (No, Bernie Sanders is 81, he's not the answer, sorry fans.) This is of course why Biden came out of retirement in 2020, as the only popular name who could beat Trump. He'll retire into the sunset in January 2025 and tbf he's earned it.

i don't know who they've got to replace him, though. 

• Like 5

I think a good comparison is Paul McCartney. He’s the same age as Biden and nowadays his memory is a little fuzzy and his speaking voice is sorta slurred and imprecise. He repeats himself constantly. He still tours the world and plays long sets though, and there’s no reason to believe he won’t be here in five years time. Biden seems fairly similar - an average 80 year old - to me. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Seems to be contagious.

Harris must have Dementia then aye?

Good punt next year I reckon

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Harris must have Dementia then aye?

Good punt next year I reckon

It was a joke.

Get over yourself you fud.

9 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I think a good comparison is Paul McCartney. He’s the same age as Biden and nowadays his memory is a little fuzzy and his speaking voice is sorta slurred and imprecise. He repeats himself constantly. He still tours the world and plays long sets though, and there’s no reason to believe he won’t be here in five years time. Biden seems fairly similar - an average 80 year old - to me. 

It's not perfectly normal to forget your colleague has died at an event you organised with them.Especially as he rang the family personally.It isn't his first senior moment though.They are becoming more frequent and worse.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, msc said:

i don't know who they've got to replace him, though. 

I think Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg will be the favorite, but Governors JB Pritzker (Illinois) and Gavin Newsom (California) will also run. Kamala Harris is severely unpopular for whatever reason. Oh yeah, and AOC will probably run -- she buys ads in other states to remind us when her birthday is, likely pointing out she'll be Constitutionally eligible in 2024. I expect Biden to run again, though.

9 minutes ago, Sean said:

It's not perfectly normal to forget your colleague has died at an event you organised with them.Especially as he rang the family personally.It isn't his first senior moment though.They are becoming more frequent and worse.

I mean it’s becoming a daily occurrence now.

Yet another example here, less than a day after we last spoke about this:

2 minutes ago, lilham said:

I think Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg will be the favorite, but Governors JB Pritzker (Illinois) and Gavin Newsom (California) will also run. Kamala Harris is severely unpopular for whatever reason. Oh yeah, and AOC will probably run -- she buys ads in other states to remind us when her birthday is, likely pointing out she'll be Constitutionally eligible in 2024. I expect Biden to run again, though.

Agree with most of this. Didn’t Newsom have some kind of scandal that would hamper his chances? 

In any case, looks like the U.S. is on course to have its 3rd president within a space of 6 years.

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Agree with most of this. Didn’t Newsom have some kind of scandal that would hamper his chances? 

In any case, looks like the U.S. is on course to have its 3rd president within a space of 6 years.

Having an expensive dinner out while everyone was on lockdown.
My larger concerns about him are that his ex-wife is dating Donald Trump Jr. and the other states dislike Californian politics.

5 minutes ago, lilham said:

Having an expensive dinner out while everyone was on lockdown.

Though it's worth noting that there was a vote to recall him from office after this, and he won it easily. The percentage voting to keep him in office was almost identical to the percentage that voted to elect him to his first term.

So it was definitely a bad look but it doesn't seem to have done any permanent damage for him, and as time goes by, a presidential campaign in '24 or '28 will  be long enough in the future that I think that specific story will stick even less. 

31 minutes ago, JustPassingThrough said:

Though it's worth noting that there was a vote to recall him from office after this, and he won it easily. The percentage voting to keep him in office was almost identical to the percentage that voted to elect him to his first term.

So it was definitely a bad look but it doesn't seem to have done any permanent damage for him, and as time goes by, a presidential campaign in '24 or '28 will  be long enough in the future that I think that specific story will stick even less. 

California's recall system favors nut jobs:
No reason is necessary — the only requirement to put a recall on the ballot is enough voter signatures. That number must be 12% of voters in the last election for the office, and must include voters in at least five counties. The magic number for Newsom’s would-be recallers: 1,495,709 valid signatures.  
I imagine this will be a tax-wasting reoccurring event for any Democrat in the California Governor's office, so I don't take it seriously. But it can definitely be twisted against him. 

20 minutes ago, lilham said:

California's recall system favors nut jobs:
No reason is necessary — the only requirement to put a recall on the ballot is enough voter signatures. That number must be 12% of voters in the last election for the office, and must include voters in at least five counties. The magic number for Newsom’s would-be recallers: 1,495,709 valid signatures.  
I imagine this will be a tax-wasting reoccurring event for any Democrat in the California Governor's office, so I don't take it seriously. But it can definitely be twisted against him. 

Oh, I think it will definitely come up. I just don't think it will matter nearly as much as it did when it first happened, before the recall. 

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I agree, this one is alarming but none of the other examples posted in this thread are particularly IMO. A lot of it strikes me as confirmation bias. Biden making a joke about public spending is not evidence that his brain is about to explode.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I agree, this one is alarming but none of the other examples posted in this thread are particularly IMO. A lot of it strikes me as confirmation bias. Biden making a joke about public spending is not evidence that his brain is about to explode.

I wouldn't say it is his comments that are necessarily concerning (although the Jackie Walorski one is very worrying( when you consider his stutter although his speaking ability is not what it was several years ago but fair enough.What is concerning is the way he seems to have trouble navigating himself and stops on the spot looking around with a vague expression like someone who is lost.I have seen it in many people with dementia.Not saying he definitely has it but there is something clearly wrong besides ageing alone.

He should definitely take a cognitive test.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sean said:

He should definitely take a cognitive test.

I’m sure such a test would only prove him to be a ‘stable genius’…

• Haha 1

On 29/09/2022 at 16:32, lilham said:

I thought he was the most impressive candidate the last time around, despite his lack of experience, but he will never win the nomination.  You can't win the Democratic nomination with something like 0-1% black support.  Just not going to happen.