DeathClock

Joe Biden

The Democratic National Committee approved a proposal to change the primary voting schedule: South Carolina first, then Nevada and New Hampshire, followed by Georgia and Michigan, all prior to Super Tuesday (when the majority of states vote). This would be punting Iowa from their long-held supremacy as the first voting state, meaning not having to see 6 months of Democratic candidates eating corn dogs at the State Fair. Also, it's more likely that Biden is the nominee as he performs well with SC and GA. https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/02/politics/dnc-south-carolina-primary-calendar-2024/index.html Bernie Sanders notably did terribly in South Carolina and Georgia in 2016 and 2020.

Biden also met with Prince William in Boston today. https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/02/politics/biden-prince-william-boston/index.html

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lilham said:

The Democratic National Committee approved a proposal to change the primary voting schedule: South Carolina first, then Nevada and New Hampshire, followed by Georgia and Michigan, all prior to Super Tuesday (when the majority of states vote). This would be punting Iowa from their long-held supremacy as the first voting state, meaning not having to see 6 months of Democratic candidates eating corn dogs at the State Fair. Also, it's more likely that Biden is the nominee as he performs well with SC and GA. https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/02/politics/dnc-south-carolina-primary-calendar-2024/index.html Bernie Sanders notably did terribly in South Carolina and Georgia in 2016 and 2020.

Biden also met with Prince William in Boston today. https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/02/politics/biden-prince-william-boston/index.html

It really doesn't matter what the DNC does, neither Iowa nor NH will agree to it.

A lot of noise, no real change. At least not yet, we'll see how they decide to punish those that don't fall in line

clearly lost here. Macron is helping him and taking charge. I said it before but there is something going on with him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

I think the classified documents will  be the beginning of what causes his resignation at some point this year. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think the classified documents will  be the beginning of what causes his resignation at some point this year. 

If it gets any worse it's gonna be Watergate all over again...

• Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I never thought he would last the full 4 years but I was picturing either death or simple retirement (over personal or health reasons) but I wasn't expecting anything like this.

6 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I never thought he would last the full 4 years but I was picturing either death or simple retirement (over personal or health reasons) but I wasn't expecting anything like this.

They might still pull the health reasons as dignified way to resign. 

• Like 1

Blimey.

This article explains the parallels and differences between this and the haul found at Trump’s Mar-A-Lago.

Biden should plead old age, resign and get some rest, the poor bastard.

Jill Biden undergoes surgery to remove two cancerous lesions.

Don't know how this hasn't been (to my knowledge) mentioned yet, I only picked up on it at the end of Joe's speech when the press were asking how his wife is.

• Like 1

Whereas I'm increasingly of the view that, barring death, he'll run for re-election, due to the lack of other contenders. 

Though he shouldn't.

29 minutes ago, msc said:

Whereas I'm increasingly of the view that, barring death, he'll run for re-election, due to the lack of other contenders. 

Though he shouldn't.

I think the dems will decide to force him out deciding the republicans are also a shambles they still might win. 

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

I think the dems will decide to force him out deciding the republicans are also a shambles they still might win. 

Oh shut up. You get so close to contributing usefully to this site and then you revert back to responses like this.

They aren't going to 'force' Biden out of anything. They just had the best midterm result in decades

Politics are way too partisan for anything meaningful to come out of it. They couldn’t even bar trump from running again when he incited the insurrection, no way Biden gets ousted 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

You get so close to contributing usefully to this site

Oh? What’ve I missed?

• Haha 2

I think it is doubtful this will bring down his presidency but it will be stressful and put his mental agility to the test.

He’s probably pretty safe considering Trump had more documents and seems to have attempted to hang on to them even after he was told to surrender them.

Wouldn’t surprise me if this is all a bit of a set up as it would’ve been very easy for Biden and his counsel to shred the documents and nobody would’ve been any the wiser. 

• Like 1

Maybe he forgot about these documents because of dementia?

Well, while do like him and what he represents, there should be someone else in 2024. The party must give a chance to "young" 50-year olds. Just look at Hakeem Jeffries, he seems okay.

Just as there’s a minimum age to run for President (35), there should be a maximum age too (70, perhaps).

• Like 6

Not again.

Biden running for re-election would be terrible for the Dems because he's practically the only candidate who could even get CLOSE to losing to Trump, out of age and mere unpopularity. Can only dream that Duckworth, Klobuchar or someone competent (e.g. not Harris) gets it, but as already said, it'll be Biden

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

Just as there’s a minimum age to run for President (35), there should be a maximum age too (70, perhaps).

I would actually lower the minimum to 30 and not add a maximum. It’s not about age, it’s about cognitive ability. Candidates for President should have to sit a simple competency test. Technically you can get dementia in your 40s or be a nutjob at any age.

30 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Maybe he forgot about these documents because of dementia?

Pretty sure he has dementia, alzheimer or something related that we won’t know until his death, à la François Mitterand or George Pompidou. Can’t see him being still around in 2030.

• Confused 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

I would actually lower the minimum to 30 and not add a maximum. It’s not about age, it’s about cognitive ability. Candidates for President should have to sit a simple competency test. Technically you can get dementia in your 40s or be a nutjob at any age.

Agree with both the lower minimum age and the mental competency test; a thorough one that roots out both lunatics like Trump and dodderers like Biden.

I’d still weigh up having a max age though; it’s just a fact that, particularly in such a relentless job, people over a certain age will, regardless of cognitive ability, physically and mentally tire much quicker and recover slower.

11 minutes ago, TQR said:

Agree with both the lower minimum age and the mental competency test; a thorough one that roots out both lunatics like Trump and dodderers like Biden.

I’d still weigh up having a max age though; it’s just a fact that, particularly in such a relentless job, people over a certain age will, regardless of cognitive ability, physically and mentally tire much quicker and recover slower.

The Tory Party very recently introduced one in their candidate selection process for future elections. I'd argue that they should've had it years ago but instead the internal candidates board was almost entirely focussed on the ability to debate, write and deliver speeches etc. Would have weeded out a lot of headcases (Vicky Ford, Andrew Bridgen, Julian Knight, Rob Roberts etc) who ultimately became MPs. Labour have the same problem ofc, but not nearly as bad under Starmer as it was under Corbyn. Michael Crick has an interesting page on Twitter covering future parliamentary candidates and they all seem to be relatively sane in comparison to some who currently occupy the seats on the green benches!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

If Biden is a doddery dementia name, and as President he's passed a bipartisan gun control law (first in your lifetime btw), the big infrastructure restoration bill which is about 40 years overdue, his energy bill, expanded the ACA, invested in American businesses, education and science, cancelled chunks of student debt, and brought America closer to their climate change promises than anyone else... All in the midst of a huge world wide depression, pandemic and inflation crisis brought on partly by Putin. 

My question is, if an old, frail, doddery chap well past his mental prime could achieve all that in 2 years with a bad set of circumstances and a dodgy Senate for most of it, what was the excuse for all those Presidents much younger and fitter and smarter, with friendlier Senates, over the last 50 odd years? Because they've been shown up, bigly...

• Like 5