DeathClock

Joe Biden

1 minute ago, msc said:

If Biden is a doddery dementia name, and as President he's passed a bipartisan gun control law (first in your lifetime btw), the big infrastructure restoration bill which is about 40 years overdue, his energy bill, expanded the ACA, invested in American businesses, education and science, cancelled chunks of student debt, and brought America closer to their climate change promises than anyone else... All in the midst of a huge world wide depression, pandemic and inflation crisis brought on partly by Putin. 

My question is, if an old, frail, doddery chap well past his mental prime could achieve all that in 2 years with a bad set of circumstances and a dodgy Senate for most of it, what was the excuse for all those Presidents much younger and fitter and smarter, with friendlier Senates, over the last 50 odd years? Because they've been shown up, bigly...

Just incase it looked like I was suggesting otherwise, I don’t subscribe to the Biden being in the throes of dementia theory, but it is very clear he is an exhausted man. One might argue that’s expected given the circumstances you pointed out, but by fuckity will it take its toll on him a lot more than someone of a, erm, more ideal age to be a head of state of a major world economy. This handful of classified documents found at his home are almost certainly there because of a bout of tired absent-mindedness, unlike the hundreds of stacks of papers Trump stowed away and tried to flush.

I agree, with what he’s achieved he’s shown up many of the cretins who either fancy themselves for his job or indeed a right few of his predecessors. Another term would be a stretch too far for him, though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TQR said:

Just incase it looked like I was suggesting otherwise, I don’t subscribe to the Biden being in the throes of dementia theory, but it is very clear he is an exhausted man. One might argue that’s expected given the circumstances you pointed out, but by fuckity will it take its toll on him a lot more than someone of a, erm, more ideal age to be a head of state of a major world economy. This handful of classified documents found at his home are almost certainly there because of a bout of tired absent-mindedness, unlike the hundreds of stacks of papers Trump stowed away and tried to flush.

I agree, with what he’s achieved he’s shown up many of the cretins who either fancy themselves for his job or indeed a right few of his predecessors. Another term would be a stretch too far for him, though.

I don't either (believe the dementia thing, I think he's just old), though I do agree that he's knackered - and I really don't want him to run again. 

27 minutes ago, msc said:

If Biden is a doddery dementia name, and as President he's passed a bipartisan gun control law (first in your lifetime btw), the big infrastructure restoration bill which is about 40 years overdue, his energy bill, expanded the ACA, invested in American businesses, education and science, cancelled chunks of student debt, and brought America closer to their climate change promises than anyone else... All in the midst of a huge world wide depression, pandemic and inflation crisis brought on partly by Putin. 

My question is, if an old, frail, doddery chap well past his mental prime could achieve all that in 2 years with a bad set of circumstances and a dodgy Senate for most of it, what was the excuse for all those Presidents much younger and fitter and smarter, with friendlier Senates, over the last 50 odd years? Because they've been shown up, bigly...

A lot of them are scared of the backlash, like they played hot potato with ending the Afghanistan War because they knew the press would be dicks about it (the press literally had Dick Cheney on every night to tell us what Biden could have done better... just lol). Biden doesn't have to worry about post-Presidency as much in that regard.

55 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I would actually lower the minimum to 30 and not add a maximum. It’s not about age, it’s about cognitive ability. Candidates for President should have to sit a simple competency test. Technically you can get dementia in your 40s or be a nutjob at any age.

What would be the purpose of lowering the age to 30? I can't think of anyone below 35 who has enough work experience for the role. It's an arduous process to amend the Constitution so doesn't seem worth it. I agree with a competency test. But also I think a civics test should be administered for Presidency, House, and Senate. Senator Tuberville doesn't even know the three branches of government (his job prior was being a football coach, and there is an unfortunate precedent of hiring sports coaches to teach civics to teenagers which needs to stop).

1 minute ago, lilham said:

What would be the purpose of lowering the age to 30? I can't think of anyone below 35 who has enough work experience for the role. It's an arduous process to amend the Constitution so doesn't seem worth it. I agree with a competency test. But also I think a civics test should be administered for Presidency, House, and Senate. Senator Tuberville doesn't even know the three branches of government (his job prior was being a football coach, and there is an unfortunate precedent of hiring sports coaches to teach civics to teenagers which needs to stop).

I'm below 35 and I have more work experience on my CV (since I was 15 and in at least 8 different sectors) than a huge chunk of the legislators sitting in our parliament, most of whom are career politicians and have a limited exposure to "the real world".

I know in the States you don't think much of and/or distrust younger people, hence why the average age of a U.S. senator is 64, but I can assure you many of us would do a better job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm below 35 and I have more work experience on my CV (since I was 15 and in at least 8 different sectors) than a huge chunk of the legislators sitting in our parliament, most of whom are career politicians and have a limited exposure to "the real world".

I know in the States you don't think much of and/or distrust younger people, hence why the average age of a U.S. senator is 64, but I can assure you many of us would do a better job.

Parliament is equivalent to being in the House, which you can serve starting at 25, or the Senate which is 30. Then there's many states that let you sit in their legislature at age 18. The Presidency is supposed to be the pinnacle of a career, and oftentimes the person has a law degree and won elections so knows how to maneuver Congress, manage a state, and/or worked in international affairs.
I don't have a negative opinion of younger people: I think we should lower our voting age to 16. I don't see how someone would crunch in that amount of experience to be President though under 35. Buttigieg was the youngest viable candidate I can think of, and he was 38 when he ran and was given the Secretary of Transportation position to gain more work experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Tory Party very recently introduced one in their candidate selection process for future elections. I'd argue that they should've had it years ago but instead the internal candidates board was almost entirely focussed on the ability to debate, write and deliver speeches etc. Would have weeded out a lot of headcases (Vicky Ford, Andrew Bridgen, Julian Knight, Rob Roberts etc) who ultimately became MPs. Labour have the same problem ofc, but not nearly as bad under Starmer as it was under Corbyn. Michael Crick has an interesting page on Twitter covering future parliamentary candidates and they all seem to be relatively sane in comparison to some who currently occupy the seats on the green benches!

What’s the issue with Vicky Ford? She seems fairly sane. 

Just now, The Old Crem said:

What’s the issue with Vicky Ford? She seems fairly sane. 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ever met her? :lol:

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ever met her? :lol:

No but she has always come across competent on the media. 

Just now, The Old Crem said:

No but she has always come across competent on the media. 

She's absolutely bonkers. Everyone in parliament is scared of her. When I worked there you could hear her absolutely screaming at the top of her lungs at her staff... and I worked at the opposite end of the building (albeit same floor).

When she worked in Brussels as an MEP, she had the highest staff turnover out of all of the 751 MEPs. One girl lasted 2 days in her office because Vicky didn't like the way she looked at her, and didn't like her jewellery. She used to storm out of meetings, often screaming and shouting and crying. I could go on... she should be nowhere near the corridors of power.

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

She's absolutely bonkers. Everyone in parliament is scared of her. When I worked there you could hear her absolutely screaming at the top of her lungs at her staff... and I worked at the opposite end of the building (albeit same floor).

When she worked in Brussels as an MEP, she had the highest staff turnover out of all of the 751 MEPs. One girl lasted 2 days in her office because Vicky didn't like the way she looked at her, and didn't like her jewellery. She used to storm out of meetings, often screaming and shouting and crying. I could go on... she should be nowhere near the corridors of power.

Now who else does that sound like?  :evil2:

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Now who else does that sound like?  :evil2:

Meghan? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Meghan? :lol:

And her fellow Essex MP Priti Patel as well 

• Like 1

He is starting to look physically frail now on top of brain function decline. 

10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

That’s a super update, thank you.

22 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Are you telling us he is starting to look like he might be 80 years old?

Form spotters will be staying up for the State of the Union address shortly.

We all know how Biden likes to keep things short and snappy, so an early night...wait a minute!

Anyhoo, loads of one side clapping, one side remaining stony faced, guests in the balcony, Jill Biden with her arm round a small heroic child....usual.

Unless he has a heart attack halfway through a story about Scranton.

2 hours ago, Deadboy999 said:

Corn pop was a bad dude

22 minutes ago, Deadboy999 said:

Why is he yelling ?? 

Shut up. No one cares. Stop using this as an echo chamber. Use Truth Social

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

Shut up. No one cares. Stop using this as an echo chamber. Use Truth Social

Cuck

• Facepalm 4

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said: