DeathClock

Joe Biden

Bet he pisses himself at altitude at his age. I know the feeling too well. That’s why  I live in a cave without stairs now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Hermit said:

Bet he pisses himself at altitude at his age. I know the feeling too well. That’s why  I live in a cave without stairs now.

No guarantee  Biden actually gets the nomination (Ted Kennedy did harm to Jimmy Carter's re-election campaign in 1980 by fighting him hard for the place, Carter was arguably better placed then than is Biden now). 

More to the point - his age will be an issue and there might well be party pressure for a strong running mate precisely because the thought of the Vice President becoming president might influence voters. Only strong presidents with apparently few health worries can wilfully pick weak running mates - George Bush (dad) and Dan Quayle come to mind, along with Will Durst's one-liner: "Somewhere in America a Ken doll is missing, and he's now the vice-president!"

800px-Dan_Quayle.jpg

• Like 2

It will be Biden-Harris. They won't change that. It already got them a win once. No one likes Harris, but most don't think of a President dying in office. The last time it happened nearly 60 years ago was a much different circumstance. 

Similar to how no one thought the Queen would die until she did, people think the same of Biden. Doesn't matter how old he is or how many gaffes he has, the VP hasn't had to step up in a long time. General public doesn't post about it in forums, they just watch the news or occasionally read a newspaper. While the VP is important, I'd question how many people actually think so as a life or death situation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MortalCaso said:

It will be Biden-Harris. They won't change that. It already got them a win once. No one likes Harris, but most don't think of a President dying in office. The last time it happened nearly 60 years ago was a much different circumstance. 

Similar to how no one thought the Queen would die until she did, people think the same of Biden. Doesn't matter how old he is or how many gaffes he has, the VP hasn't had to step up in a long time. General public doesn't post about it in forums, they just watch the news or occasionally read a newspaper. While the VP is important, I'd question how many people actually think so as a life or death situation. 

I remember it being an issue when George H W Bush was President as he had a bout of ill health and everyone was concerned that Dan Quayle might become president. We then had six terms where the President was a relatively young man.

I think Biden will survive until 2029.

• Like 2

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

I remember it being an issue when George H W Bush was President as he had a bout of ill health and everyone was concerned that Dan Quayle might become president. We then had six terms where the President was a relatively young man.

He puked on the Japanese PM. A well remembered news story from my early childhood!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I've never heard of this. Before my time. Interesting. 

President Quayle doesn't quite flow on the tongue like Bush. 

1 minute ago, MortalCaso said:

I've never heard of this. Before my time. Interesting. 

There was a joke at the time

What five words do Americans fear most?

"Barbara, I don't feel well"

• Haha 3

Biden would come across as a liar if he were to remove Harris from the ticket; part of Biden's appeal to voters was his loyalty to Obama. The only way he could successfully remove Harris would be by elevating her to the Supreme Court. A VP's only two jobs are to break ties in the Senate and stay alive. Harris has been successful at that. I also quite like her. But yeah, she was placed there as a way to appease the loyal base, and it's the disloyals who keep itching for her removal; taking their advice would look very bad.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

Dirty bastard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

It looks like he just didn't notice that sand bag next to him, which he pointed to after he got up. At least Trump seemed sympathetic about it in the article, or as sympathetic as he gets. 

1 hour ago, mollyafox said:

It looks like he just didn't notice that sand bag next to him, which he pointed to after he got up. At least Trump seemed sympathetic about it in the article, or as sympathetic as he gets. 

Considering the media played up when he attempted to be careful in not creating his own incident during a similar event, I think he might actually sympathize with Joe on this one.

16 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Has ended his Connecticut speech on gun control by a « god save the queen, man ». Pretty sure he has some kind of dementia. 

He always liked Camilla but thought Charles was a prat.

Or maybe it was a special thing for pride month?

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Which, despite denials from the Bloomberg source, means that his breathing at night has gotten worse than it once was - enough that his doctors probably told him to use one. I don't think he decided to use it on his own (perhaps simply because he was too busy to think so, as any president would be with an election campaign, a war in Eastern Europe, and a dozen other issues to deal with).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

His health is getting better :

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna95355

I stopped believing he was well when he very publicly called for a dead Congresswoman during an event... Despite being told she was dead previously. Skipping NATO dinners is stupid at any point, lest especially now, and only makes him seem worse with our allies (and makes people concerned about his health - Trump, Clinton, hell, even Regan, didn't do that). But I seriously don't think he's in any condition to go for a full general election, especially against the likely GoP primary winner who sleeps far less than most people...

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Comped said:

I stopped believing he was well when he very publicly called for a dead Congresswoman during an event... Despite being told she was dead previously. Skipping NATO dinners is stupid at any point, lest especially now, and only makes him seem worse with our allies (and makes people concerned about his health - Trump, Clinton, hell, even Regan, didn't do that). But I seriously don't think he's in any condition to go for a full general election, especially against the likely GoP primary winner who sleeps far less than most people...

You realize Trump attempted to leave NATO right? Did our allies prefer that over missing dinner? :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

You realize Trump attempted to leave NATO right? Did our allies prefer that over missing dinner? :facepalm:

Oh I do, but I have to compare apples to apples in this situation. Presidents don't usually skip dinners because they get tired.

1 hour ago, Comped said:

Oh I do, but I have to compare apples to apples in this situation. Presidents don't usually skip dinners because they get tired.

I think you are talking out your arse and have no evidence on the rate of presidential dinner attendance. Nor that anyone cares about said attending

• Like 1

American politics are so weird sometimes. I didn't hear any right wingers call Trump mentally impaired when he said and did any of his weird shit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flufen said:

American politics are so weird sometimes. I didn't hear any right wingers call Trump mentally impaired when he said and did any of his weird shit

Well of course right wingers wouldn’t criticize Trump. But left wingers did said he was mentally impaired or crazy, some even wanted his impeachment or removal for mental health reasons !

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Well of course right wingers wouldn’t criticize Trump. But left wingers did said he was mentally impaired or crazy, some even wanted his impeachment or removal for mental health reasons !

Hmm.

Honest people who are economically right-wing for non-nefarious reasons who haven’t been taken in by a cult, would criticise him. Just as “decent Tories” would fucking despise the last 13 years of government in the UK.

• Like 2