Sign in to follow this  
Guest Banshees Scream

Rosa Parks

On Rosa Parks memorial day A British Tourist fails to get in to the spirit of the occasion

I would have thought refusing to give up the seat was totally in keeping with the spirit of the day :blink:

On Rosa Parks memorial day A British Tourist  fails to get in to the spirit of the occasion

I would have thought refusing to give up the seat was totally in keeping with the spirit of the day

That would seem to make sense..................... I mean her whole thing was about not giving up a seat so why have a seat left empty when it could be used?

Can someone clarify what else she did in her life apart from sitting on a bus? Is that enough to make her famous? And was she really the first person ever who hadn't given up her seat on the bus? I'm sure there were others.

Maybe she just had good timing - which could also apply to her being a successful first year pick on DL. :o

Can someone clarify what else she did in her life apart from sitting on a bus? Is that enough to make her famous? And was she really the first person ever who hadn't given up her seat on the bus? I'm sure there were others.

Maybe she just had good timing - which could also apply to her being a successful first year pick on DL. :o

She was a seamstress and most likely did the stitching of the straighgt jacket you shall some day be wrapped in. :P

Okay, let's get serious here for a moment she did a lot, she had courage when others did not and when you look at the time line she was no longer a spring chicken when she decided to take that huge step........okay her early 40's isn't old but why weren;t the kids in their 20's and younger doing anything? Because of her Bill Cosby was able to costar in I Spy.

Now for those helpful weblinks you are too lazy to find for yourself.

Rosa Parks weblink #1

Rosa parks weblink #2

Rosa Parks webllink #3

She was a seamstress and most likely did the stitching of the straighgt jacket you shall some day be wrapped in. :P

Okay, let's get serious here for a moment she did a lot, she had courage when others did not and when you look at the time line she was no longer a spring chicken when she decided to take that huge step........okay her early 40's isn't old but why weren;t the kids in their 20's and younger doing anything? Because of her Bill Cosby was able to costar in I Spy.

Rosa Parks weblink #1

Rosa parks weblink #2

Rosa Parks webllink #3

Nevertheless I believe Youth In Asia has a point. Others inevitably did what she did previously but did not receive credit for it. I don't believe she should be singled out as some kind of heroine when many others have fought for the same cause and are ignored.

Just my opinion.

Rosa Parks weblink #1

Rosa parks weblink #2

Rosa Parks webllink #3

Nevertheless I believe Youth In Asia has a point. Others inevitably did what she did previously but did not receive credit for it. I don't believe she should be singled out as some kind of heroine when many others have fought for the same cause and are ignored.

Just my opinion.

I didn't mind that so much until I found out that Bush Jnr. just signed something to build her a statue on Capitol Hill. The obvious parallel is to Abraham Lincoln, the great emancipator. I think it's a faulty parallel though and, if you can pin the civil rights movement to one person (which I don't think you can), it's probably not Rosa Parks.

Others inevitably did what she did previously but did not receive credit for it. I don't believe she should be singled out as some kind of heroine when many others have fought for the same cause and are ignored.

Yes this was my point. Does one incident, that was probably replicated many times when there wasn't a newspaper reporter around, justify her semi-beatification as the person who set off the civil rights movement.

She was a seamstress and most likely did the stitching of the straighgt jacket you shall some day be wrapped in. laugh.gif

Sorry I'm not sure I get this - are you saying my point is invalid? I'm not saying she wasn't courageous but it sounds like she was more a symbol for many other people's courage - picked up on by local media, then national media. If you have evidence that her action was part of a long-term campaign which she herself was organising (putting her in the category of Vaclav Havel, Aung San Suu Kyi etc) then I will happily don the straight jacket (or even straighgt jacket).

Or perhaps her skills as a seamstress justify her inclusion on the list. If she was REALLY good ...

Or perhaps her skills as a seamstress justify her inclusion on the list. If she was REALLY good ...

Are there any higher standards to get on these lists?

Its a question of her contribution actually being noted in history.

You have your point that many blacks took part in civil disobedience its just that by chance she was noticed.

It's the same with Martin Luther King, if he haddn't been assassinated would he still be considered a great in Civil Rights History?

The fact of the matter is that this woman has been recognised and her fame, it could be argued stems from this off chance recognition over her actual act of protest in 1955.

(Does that make sense to anyone else?) :o

Lyrics to "Rosa Parks" by Outkast. She was suing them over this until fate intervened - not sure why, doesn't to be very insulting, depending of course on what "crunk" means ...

Ah ha, hush that fuss

Everybody move to the back of the bus

Do you wanna bump and slump with us

We the type of people make the club get crunk

Lyrics to "Rosa Parks" by Outkast. She was suing them over this until fate intervened - not sure why, doesn't to be very insulting, depending of course on what "crunk" means ...

Ah ha, hush that fuss

Rosa Parks was already suffering from an advanced state of dementia at that point and according to her relatives did not know what was going on. It was her legal guardian who initiated that ill-advised lawsuit for his personal gain.

Ah ha, hush that fuss

It was most definitely insulting. It denigrated everything Ms. Parks sat for.

What say we turn the tables for a few and put your mommy in the place of Ms. Parks? Yeah I know you being an immature wiseass will say it doesn't matter thats the big problem with wastrels like you. You curse like your life depended on it even in front of your elders and see nothiong wrong with sullying the reputation of those who are responsible for all the freedoms you have.

Ah ha, hush that fuss

'Crunk'

A portmanteau word of 'crazy' and 'drunk' used to describe bass-heavy hip-hop music originating in the South-Eastern United States, described as the next-big-thing by witless style magazines for at least 2 years. Expect Madonna to appropriate it in about 2 years time.

• Thanks 1

Ah ha, hush that fuss

It was most definitely insulting. It denigrated everything Ms. Parks sat for.

What say we turn the tables for a few and put your mommy in the place of Ms. Parks? Yeah I know you being an immature wiseass will say it doesn't matter thats the big problem with wastrels like you. You curse like your life depended on it even in front of your elders and see nothiong wrong with sullying the reputation of those who are responsible for all the freedoms you have.

I doubt Rosa Parks was responsible for giving a man called "Youth in Asia" any rights. She was more concerned with African American rights if my vague knowledge of history is correct. :referee:

. She was more concerned with African American rights if my vague knowledge of history is correct.

Aren't Outkast African-American?

. She was more concerned with African American rights if my vague knowledge of history is correct.

Aren't Outkast African-American?

Indeed they are.

I was referring to Bruno Brimley's comment that Rosa Parks was "responsible for giving you all the freedoms you enjoy" or words to those effect.

I assumed, given your name, that you were not African American and therefore not really a beneficiary of what Rosa Parks did.

On 22/10/2018 at 01:33, YoungWillz said:

Found the Doctor Who story tonight re Rosa Parks quite moving, if a little light on actual plot, detail and tension.

Also found out today there are two threads for this dame here as a result:

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/2193-rosa-parks-dead-at-92/

Enjoy the merge...or not..shrug.

I was sat in Charles de Gaulle airport reading all comments on twitter about how this was the best episode of the three so far. I won't get to see it until Sunday.

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I was sat in Charles de Gaulle airport reading all comments on twitter about how this was the best episode of the three so far. I won't get to see it until Sunday.

Don't bother.

Instead, go and find the episode of Quantum Leap, on the same subject matter, that Dr Who has absolutely ripped off.

It was much much better.

• Like 1

Dr Who now Necro'ing 13 year old threads? Can't argue with the time travel aspect I suppose.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Don't bother.

Instead, go and find the episode of Quantum Leap, on the same subject matter, that Dr Who has absolutely ripped off.

It was much much better.

I always struggled with Quantum Leap as I felt that it was Science Fiction for people who didn't like Science Fiction and also die hard QL fans are very strange people.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I always struggled with Quantum Leap as I felt that it was Science Fiction for people who didn't like Science Fiction and also die hard QL fans are very strange people.

I loved QL.:D

14 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I loved QL.:D

I understand why people do but it is not for me. 

She was the black dame who refused to give up her bus seat for a white disabled person iirc.

Seems pretty racist to me.