DeathClock

John Madden

He is a legendary American football coach and broadcaster. The game, “Madden”, is named after him.

He has won 30 Emmy’s. Best selling author, famous for his commercials, and Super Bowl Champion.

Will be 83 next year, always has been overweight, and has looked somewhat frail in recent pictures.

• Like 2

Was a well known name in the UK when C4 started coverage @84.

Sold PlayStation/Megadrive games 25 years ago and they were under his name.

If Ill enough, could be deathlisty, certainly various pool consideration as obit 100%.

I know feck all about NFL - seen 2 matches tops in my life - and I know who John Madden is. Def famous, sort of US answer to a Des Lynam or what not.

• Haha 1

For many in the Us he is most famous for being in those athlete's foot commercial's that ran every week for year's on WCW Saturday Night

11 minutes ago, msc said:

I know feck all about NFL - seen 2 matches tops in my life - and I know who John Madden is. Def famous, sort of US answer to a Des Lynam or what not.

More a Sur Alex.....

* took me into my 20's, after arguing with Yankee airmen for a decade, deriding them calling it football when one cunto is allowed to kick it, to realise, that is because it is a game played on foot.....

Never backed down once, the ignorant SEAL fuckers had no reply even when I was wrong :D

He has been hospitalized multiple times. In 2015, he had heart surgery. In 2016, he had esophagus surgery. He also has had hip and knee surgery.

You’ll know it’s time to include him on DL when Madden is on the cover of Madden.

• Like 1

Patrick Mahomes seems to have broke the Madden cover curse. Is that a cue that John Madden is about to die? Time will tell.

I tried to find a recent article about him or public appearance he made but I couldn’t find anything. Which is surprising, because the NFL just celebrated the 100th season. 

5 hours ago, DeathClock said:

Patrick Mahomes seems to have broke the Madden cover curse. Is that a cue that John Madden is about to die? Time will tell.

I tried to find a recent article about him or public appearance he made but I couldn’t find anything. Which is surprising, because the NFL just celebrated the 100th season. 

Brees broke the 'curse' long ago.

Sad. At 85 not exactly a shock, but sounds like it was sudden.

Huge death to end the year. RIP

• Facepalm 1

more people from my 2022 list have died over the last three months than those on my 2021 list..

• Haha 6

Yet another major miss from this year's list - RIP.

4 minutes ago, Katyusha said:

Yet another major miss from this year's list - RIP.

Yet another expert.

PS. Never heard of the fucker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Yet another expert.

You live under a rock? Pretty significant miss as he was a major personality in the U.S and abroad.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Yet another expert.

I forget you're a young one. Those games were everywhere in the 90s.

Anyhow - only 85, seemingly died unexpectedly - can't expect the Cmme to be clairvoyant. 

• Like 4

I’m aware of John Madden mostly for his video game franchise, if it was just his coaching career I might not know who is tbh

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m aware of John Madden mostly for his video game franchise, if it was just his coaching career I might not know who is tbh

He's much more well known for his television gigs than anything

Had him on my list, hit #18 for me.  Last year during a Sunday Night football broadcast, the announcers mentioned him and it seemed like more than just a "we miss you and hope you're doing great in retirement" thing.  I got the sense that he was in a bad way.  Had nothing more to go on than that.  Put him on my list because of that sense. 

Anyway, yes, he was a legendary football figure in America.  He was one of the great coaches of the 70's, was the most well-known broadcaster in the game after his coaching career, and the video game that bears his name is of course a huge deal.  A massive legacy left behind.  RIP, coach.  

• Like 1

Great coach great announcer greater legend for the game and a catalyst for putting American football on top of all sports here in America.  RIP

SC

• Like 3