Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flo

Milton Friedman

Guest Flo

We should add his name on the 2005's list since he will be 93 then!! (he's a great economist for people who don't know)

I didn't realise that Mr Moneterism was still alive and kicking. Well, he gotta be a contneder then. Along with his fan club - old Maggie's not looking too good.

WP

Well you say he'll be 93, but I think you'll find that after seasonal adjustment the figures actually make him 37.......

Guest Gaz

A great economist - are you for real?

An obnoxious peddler of myths to justify the excesses of the rich.

Economic Theory, like Political Theory, is an excellent thing in a controlled laboratory environment (ie nowhere that really exists for these subjects), but just add real live humans into the experiment, then any claim to Scientific Method is rendered laughable.

Milton Friedman is a very bright bloke - but a historian and theoretician. It's up to the rest of us to make the real world tick.

It's up to the rest of us to make the real world tick.

Could you carry on with out me for now, I've had enough.

Guest fawnes

The worst US ambassador we ever had in France. On the top of everything, he spoke french welle enough to make his bnons crap understandable...

I once heard economics defined as "saying what everybody knows in language nobody can understand."

As someone who twice failed A-level economics , I rather like that.

Guest ibby

hi.. im very much a classical economist... altho throughout my undergrad yrs i have been taught solely keynesian economics. so id appreciat if ppl wudnt rip this dude.. his ideas r briliant.. for example he onc said he'd legalise drugs. as he doesnt mind if people wana kill themselves, they hav the right to.. PLUS the abus of drugs usually comes 'from' its illegality. com on u gota giv that sum credit?!

plus this dude is against government intervention in markets.. and i personaly dnt lik Blair (nor Bush, altho i in UK) - so he got my vote!

hi.. im very much a classical economist... altho throughout my undergrad yrs i have been taught solely keynesian economics. so id appreciat if ppl wudnt rip this dude..  his ideas r briliant.. for example he onc said he'd legalise drugs. as he doesnt mind if people wana kill themselves, they hav the right to.. PLUS the abus of drugs usually comes 'from' its illegality. com on u gota giv that sum credit?!

plus this dude is against government intervention in markets.. and i personaly dnt lik Blair (nor Bush, altho i in UK) - so he got my vote!

It's the drug taking part of his economics that you are really into isn't it?

Ill make a risky guess an say atleast 1 of the economists will pass on by the years end.

Milton Friedmen\ John Kenneth Gabrailth

Milton Friedman has recently written an "addendum" to his online Nobel Prize biography (in, I think, May of this year). Previously, this biography only detailed his life up until the time he was awarded the prize, in 1976.

I believe that he has updated this biography because he feels he hasn't got long left and wants to leave a complete account of his life before he goes.

Just a thought, but maybe it means he'll be on his way out before the year is up. ;)

Guest Guest
A great economist - are you for real?

An obnoxious peddler of myths to justify the excesses of the rich.

You obviously don't know ANYTHING about Monetarism or Economics, Friedman's theory. :referee:

Friedman is a really good economist. And his Monetarist theory is very interesting.

I wished he wouldn't die just now. He needs to upgrade his theory. :D

Stiglitz is my man, not Friedman, and this explains why:

http://www.alternet.org/story/12652

Also Amartya Sen. Sen and Stiglitz's work together explain the damage caused by unbridled monetarism and globalisation.

Guest Toke Deltorso

yes :lol:

watching Ferris Bueller always reminds me of my economics class in school....30 odd teenagers falling asleep or looking like zombies..,"anyone, anyone...voodoo economics..."!!!!

Milton Friedman...long may you suffer in hell for what we suffered with macro and micro-economics!

;)

watching Ferris Bueller always reminds me of my economics class in school....30 odd teenagers falling asleep or looking like zombies..,"anyone, anyone...voodoo economics..."!!!!

Milton Friedman...long may you suffer in hell for what we suffered with macro and micro-economics!

;)

As a Management Science major (which is basically just a souped up Econ major), I have a few words for you...

... you are completely right ;)

Maybe the demise of Galbraith will trigger a run on economists, in which case Friedman must be next in line to the DL's benefit. If Friedman goes, the shock might be enough to kill off Maggie Thatcher, his star disciple.

Applying my Deathlist Domino Theory, Thatcher's death would allow Michael Foot to rest in peace. Foot's death would make Patrick Moore the new world's worst dressed man, hastening a sudden departure from embarrassment. Moore dying would be too much for George Melly, saddened at this loss to music. After Melly not quite sure, although he does have an excellent Bacon rating of 2 through Miriam Margolyes who looks a little bit like Claire Rayner.

Guest iain
Maybe the demise of Galbraith will trigger a run on economists, in which case Friedman must be next in line to the DL's benefit. If Friedman goes, the shock might be enough to kill off Maggie Thatcher, his star disciple.

Applying my Deathlist Domino Theory, Thatcher's death would allow Michael Foot to rest in peace. Foot's death would make Patrick Moore the new world's worst dressed man, hastening a sudden departure from embarrassment. Moore dying would be too much for George Melly, saddened at this loss to music. After Melly not quite sure, although he does have an excellent Bacon rating of 2 through Miriam Margolyes who looks a little bit like Claire Rayner.

if the current state of the Labour party doesnt finish off Michael Foot then nothing will..

if the current state of the Labour party doesnt finish off Michael Foot then nothing will..

I doubt even Blair in the current situation could do a worse job than Foot ever did

It's not often you hear of Milton Friedman these days, but one I only just noticed was that he was interviewed by Russ Roberts last month

There's no transcript of the interview on the Hoover Institution website just a passing mention and you have to call in or email them to obtain a copy of the interview

Indeed, this thread is so dead that Iain's most recent post is only three from the end.

C'mon Milt man, do summat!

It's all a matter of demand and supply.

If enough people demand Friedman's death, the price on his head will rise so much that an assassination is inevitable.

:P