Sign in to follow this  
ObakeFilter

The Residents (& Other Weirdos)

Couldn't find a good thread to post this in. But the official Residents site is updating that Hardy Fox, presumably the main guy in the Residents, is suffering from declining health and could not see the end of this year. His official site was briefly updated to imply that he was dead, and although this is not the case (yet), it doesn't look too good for him.

https://www.residents.com/news/?article=20180921-0732

http://hardyfox.com/home/

One of the existing music threads couldn't cover this?  Or 2019 names....

No idea what this is about.  Is it a soap?  A reality show?  A band?

43 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

One of the existing music threads couldn't cover this?  Or 2019 names....

Not really. Couldn't locate an outsider music thread, and I don't think they would fit in any of the existing musical threads.

56 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Not really. Couldn't locate an outsider music thread, and I don't think they would fit in any of the existing musical threads.

There is a general pop music thread. Were (are) they popular? 

On 22/09/2018 at 13:55, Paul Bearer said:

There is a general pop music thread. Were (are) they popular? 

I assume you haven't listened to their music?

The answers no. 

I have broad music taste, but the residents are just batshit weird even for me. 

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:12, Deathray said:

I assume you haven't listened to their music?

The answers no. 

I have broad music taste, but the residents are just batshit weird even for me. 

Can't see why this should have it's own thread but in other news...

The Residents made one of their best albums this year - seriously, well in the running as album of the year on a show very close to my heart although by the looks of it Deathray has yet to survive a whole edition of said show. 

For dead pooling purposes the death of a Resident is likely q/o in a broadsheet for two reasons: 

1 - It's the broadsheet readers who've been their main support over the years. 

2 - The whole thing about a band who play in disguise and get away with it for so long is a good story in itself and that'd form part of any story about the death of a Resident. 

I'd raise Deathray's batshit weird to batshit weird in a good way - bit like Captain Beefheart.

24 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Can't see why this should have it's own thread but in other news...

The Residents made one of their best albums this year - seriously, well in the running as album of the year on a show very close to my heart although by the looks of it Deathray has yet to survive a whole edition of said show. 

For dead pooling purposes the death of a Resident is likely q/o in a broadsheet for two reasons: 

1 - It's the broadsheet readers who've been their main support over the years. 

2 - The whole thing about a band who play in disguise and get away with it for so long is a good story in itself and that'd form part of any story about the death of a Resident. 

I'd raise Deathray's batshit weird to batshit weird in a good way - bit like Captain Beefheart.

Anyone who describes this as music needs an ear test. It's a shame as he's actually a decent vocalist who sings over shite... 

• Angry 1

3 hours ago, Deathray said:

Anyone who describes this as music needs an ear test. It's a shame as he's actually a decent vocalist who sings over shite... 

Nowt wrong with my ears - it's really a matter of taste. 

A particular favourite of mine being their "Commercial Album" 40 odd tracks all around a minute long. 

3 hours ago, Deathray said:

Probably my favourite Residents song, you goddamn tin-eared sonovabitch.  I'm sure Debby Boone has some soothing releases more suited for your tastes, Deathray.

SC

Here's some more non-music for you to unappreciate, Deathray.

• Thanks 1

Who could forget this alternative classic?

• Like 1

Along those lines, MPFC -- here's from a band I played in for a brief minute.  

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Along those lines, MPFC -- here's from a band I played in for a brief minute.  

Hmm - drags a bit in the middle but otherwise pisses all over anything demented enough to offer a proper tune. Am I remembering right, this band called one album Adventures in Good Music

Why is the name of the person who created this thread 'Not Available' unless of course it's a brilliant name and actually IS 'not available'>?

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Why is the name of the person who created this thread 'Not Available' unless of course it's a brilliant name and actually IS 'not available'>?

Looks to me that it was Obakefilter that created it and 'not available' is the tag line.  I have no clue what not available means. 

It's the name of The Resident's second album, which they originally decided not to actually release, but it eventually appeared a few years later. I bought a second-hand copy many years ago - never got to the end of it.

4 hours ago, JQW said:

I bought a second-hand copy many years ago - never got to the end of it.

Was it that bad? 

59 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Was it that bad? 

I can't remember that much about it - just a discordant mess that was supposedly a concept album about something or other, but which made absolutely no sense. 

20 hours ago, JQW said:

It's the name of The Resident's second album, which they originally decided not to actually release, but it eventually appeared a few years later. I bought a second-hand copy many years ago - never got to the end of it.

And therefore a perfect sub-title for the thread because it's in the nature of outsider music that the insiders get all the titles, in-jokes etc. and love it all the more because it's incomprehensible to the rest of humanity. 

Back when I wrote a book on this stuff there was only one exception to that rule. A few people who knew what I was doing and thought to help by suggesting something like early Alice Cooper was really "out there" a few people told me the same story. Been to uni with someone who had the weirdest album ever, nobody knew about it because it was so obscure etc. etc. They all mumbled something about a weird looking guy on the cover but couldn't recall the title. I ended up getting the same phone call from three different people who'd all chased their weird album mates. They'd say "It's called Trout Mask..."

And I'd go "Yeah, I'll look it up"