Red Flag

Fernando Ricksen

13 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Weighs 6 stone and wears an oxygen mask for 10 hours a day.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9011513/rangers-fernando-ricksen-motor-neurone-disease/

God damnit (yes, really, God! What is your plan here?). I mean, some part of me understands that you want to live for as many days as you can - to squeeze out every single day you can have. But then another part of me thinks, maybe it's better to go out quickly. Boom - done! Or at least, like Joost Van Der Westhuizen, quickly make the jump from "bad" to "dead", without half a year spending half-dead.

• Like 4

An update, and it doesn't look good, sounds like he's not got long left at all.

• Sad 5

Final night on 28th?

So his last party? His last public appearance? Or is he giving up?

Whatever it is, it will be. I wish him well.

To be fair, if I was stuck in Airdrie for the rest of my life I would have topped myself by now even if I was perfectly healthy.

5 hours ago, Arsewipe said:

To be fair, if I was stuck in Airdrie for the rest of my life I would have topped myself by now even if I was perfectly healthy.

Airdrie?? I'd rather be stuck in Deidrie

diedre-850x510.jpg

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Hard to imagine, but should Mr. Ricksen manage to scoot into 2020 seven months from now, he will quite literally be EVERYONE'S DDP Joker.  He would check all the boxes, unless rules change.  No one in their 40s (or earlier) is going to check all the boxes.   Not having him as joker equivalent to not trying.
Literally

Everyone's

Joker

SC

As a sign of how little some Americans know or care about football and/or Europe, People Magazine calls Fernando Ricksen a "danish soccer player":

https://people.com/sports/fernando-ricksen-throws-party-for-daughter-from-hospice/

Edit: Too harsh? Ah well, I'm grumpy, and would exclude those who dare posting on a European forum.

1726F312-8266-4459-A657-006B4FD397D5.jpeg

Being a dad myself and another daughter on the way it's very saddening to see a father go through that :(. Makes you appreciate life even the smallest things.

The joy of making the kids birthday special is an incredible thing. Something they'll remember for the rest of their lives long after you're gone. I know because it was like that with my dad. 

• Like 3

ITV News tonight had a big story on his last public appearance. Highly emotional all round, wife talking about their previous discussion on assisted death.

Doubt we will hear much until his battle is over.

It's his birthday today, most likely his last.

No news to be found.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not me.I hope Fernando has a long time left.If he wants it that is.MND is one of if not the cruelest of fates.

• Like 1

Regardless of my thoughts of him as a player or person pre-illness, no one deserves the fate of MND/ALS. RIP.

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

Regardless of my thoughts of him as a player or person pre-illness, no one deserves the fate of MND/ALS. RIP.

Agreed

Didn't like him as a player, but I always wished him all the best with his fight against MND.  Horrible illness

RIP

• Sad 1

Always sad when a person dies at that age. RIP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sad but inevitable.Heart goes out to his wife and daughter.He had an incredible attitude and determination.R.I.P

• Like 2
  • Sad 1