BeretBleu

Johnny Clegg

I told Joey ages ago Clegg would be the 2018 Ray Price ftr.

'During this interview, recorded last August 31, ....................................Today, everyone knows that the end is coming. It's a matter of months at worst, years at best. "

Some of us hope for over 5 months, some of us hope for under 5 months.

• Like 1

Book a DDP late comeback with Goldberg, Tapie and Clegg circling the drain before December. Odds 1: 500

1 hour ago, BeretBleu said:

he has a pancreas cancer since 2015

he just announced the cancer have mestastasized to the lung and  said :" the end is near"

http://www.lefigaro.fr/musique/2018/09/27/03006-20180927ARTFIG00167-johnny-clegg-evoque-son-cancerma-famille-sait-que-la-fin-approche.php

i think he is enough famous for having his own topic

Some people don't know when to keep info under their gdamn cap.  I'm keeping an eye on you, BeretBleu.  Don't let it happen again.  Feel free to post on Oct 1 after monthly entries are due.

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Some people don't know when to keep info under their gdamn cap.  I'm keeping an eye on you, BeretBleu.  Don't let it happen again.  Feel free to post on Oct 1 after monthly entries are due.

Er, he has been publicly known for a while now. I don’t see the issue here on why you’re mad at BeretBleu...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeretBleu said:

he has a pancreas cancer since 2015

he just announced the cancer have mestastasized to the lung and  said :" the end is near"

http://www.lefigaro.fr/musique/2018/09/27/03006-20180927ARTFIG00167-johnny-clegg-evoque-son-cancerma-famille-sait-que-la-fin-approche.php

Famous enough? 

Do me a favour.

That's sad. I guessed that he survived pancreatic cancer like me grand-uncle.

8 hours ago, BeretBleu said:

What's he famous for? 

• Like 1

He’s a South African music superstar who has pancreatic cancer, so kind of similar to Gord Downie except the latter had glioblastoma rather than pancan. Was even born in the UK. Will definitely get a QO.

11 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

What's he famous for? 

South African former anti-apartheid activist musician big in Africa but liked over here by the... Old Grey Whistle Test type music fan.

6 hours ago, msc said:

South African former anti-apartheid activist musician big in Africa but liked over here by the... Old Grey Whistle Test type music fan.

British-born South African musician, anthropologist, and social activist, in two bands (Juluka and Savuka), both of which were made up of a mix of black and white South African musicians in the days when that was more than a bit tricky to do. I particularly like the output with Savuka - joyous, energetic 80s cheese.  

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

He’s a South African music superstar who has pancreatic cancer, so kind of similar to Gord Downie except the latter had glioblastoma rather than pancan. Was even born in the UK. Will definitely get a QO.

9 hours ago, msc said:

3 hours ago, paddyfool said:

British-born South African musician, anthropologist, and social activist, in two bands (Juluka and Savuka), both of which were made up of a mix of black and white South African musicians in the days when that was more than a bit tricky to do. I particularly like the output with Savuka - joyous, energetic 80s cheese.  

Apart from that, what's he famous for? 

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

While King of Pop Michael Jackson was in his popularity peak in the 80s, a Johnny Clegg show really rubbed him up the wrong way.

In 1988, Jackson travelled to the French city of Lyon to perform. He went on to cancel the show at the last minute as Johnny Clegg was performing in the same town and was an even bigger draw.

Clegg was, in fact, so big in France that his band Savuka, had an album (Sugarman) that went on to sell 1m copies in France alone.

“What happened to me in 1988 in France was an indication of what was possible: we were the biggest selling foreign act in France throughout 1988-89. Outselling Michael Jackson and Madonna, together.”

In 2014, Clegg was honoured with the Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for his “unique service to the arts, vulnerable people, children and democracy in South Africa.”

In 2012, Clegg was also recognised at home as he received the Order of Ikhamanga, the highest honour a citizen can receive in South Africa, from President Jacob Zuma.

Clegg’s love for and determination to learn elements of African music saw him arrested at age 15 for violating Apartheid-era laws that banned people from different races gathering after curfew hours. Clegg was first taught to master the Zulu language and maskandi guitar by Charlie Mzila,  a flat cleaner by day and musician by night.

:D

• Like 1

So, in a nutshell,  people have gone and looked him up on wiki then trawlled the web gathering info and presenting it as if they were well travelled and knowledgeable folk who look on horrified that the rest of us really have not a sodding clue who he is.

Big in South Africa and France is a pretty shit endorsement as to his fame on here.

I'm all for finding unique picks and the like but this is taking the piss.

If he gets more than four sentences in the UK press when he goes it will be three too many..

The considerably far less famous Gord Downie got much the same reaction, and wound up on the list, so you can see why the thread starter thought there was precedent. :D

Also, for the record, Clegg is far more likely to qualify for the Drop 40 bonus in 2019 than being unique. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

While King of Pop Michael Jackson was in his popularity peak in the 80s, a Johnny Clegg show really rubbed him up the wrong way.

In 1988, Jackson travelled to the French city of Lyon to perform. He went on to cancel the show at the last minute as Johnny Clegg was performing in the same town and was an even bigger draw.

Clegg was, in fact, so big in France that his band Savuka, had an album (Sugarman) that went on to sell 1m copies in France alone.

“What happened to me in 1988 in France was an indication of what was possible: we were the biggest selling foreign act in France throughout 1988-89. Outselling Michael Jackson and Madonna, together.”

In 2014, Clegg was honoured with the Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for his “unique service to the arts, vulnerable people, children and democracy in South Africa.”

In 2012, Clegg was also recognised at home as he received the Order of Ikhamanga, the highest honour a citizen can receive in South Africa, from President Jacob Zuma.

Clegg’s love for and determination to learn elements of African music saw him arrested at age 15 for violating Apartheid-era laws that banned people from different races gathering after curfew hours. Clegg was first taught to master the Zulu language and maskandi guitar by Charlie Mzila,  a flat cleaner by day and musician by night.

:D

Yes, yes, yes. But apart from that, what was he famous for? 

9 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

this song is his most famous:

30 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Education. And the wine. We'd certainly miss that if they left.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Colin Butts' family agrees!

30 minutes ago, msc said:

Education. And the wine. We'd certainly miss that if they left.

...and roads.  And the aqueduct.  And it's safe to walk the streets at night.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

...and roads.  And the aqueduct.  And it's safe to walk the streets at night.

Yeah, he certainly know how to keep order. Let's face it. They're the only ones who could in a place like this.

One of those niches the BBC loves is South African musical giants. He'll piss a Beeb obit at the very list, but further coverage is guaranteed.

Fun fact: one of his songs appeared in the movie Rain Man.