BeretBleu

Johnny Clegg

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Fun fact: one of his songs appeared in the movie Rain Man. 

You prove my point.

That info is sitting on the wiki page, the chances that you knew that the song appeared in that film before you read about it are about as high as Charon embracing England as his Motherland.

Born in the UK? So was Bob Hope and he wasn't British.

One of the more eloquent posters here ( no, I'm not kissing your arse MSC... :lol:    ) puts this one in the same bracket as Gord Downie and he is right.

My assertion is that both were /are nowhere near famous enough for a thread of their own let alone any real mention because very few of the people on here have heard of them.

I've called out the bullshitters who talk like they have all their albums and have seen them in concert 25 times when they actually have not a fucking clue about them but go scampering off to look them up then come on here talking like they are seriously ITK and almost consider the rest of us as uneducated arses for daring to question the validity of a thread or obit.

Anybody can do that, type in something like ' 100 year old famous people' into a search engine and you get a whole plethora of possible DL contenders, you can then pretend to know all about their lives and careers...…….

Utter bollocks.

The forum is losing it's sense of reality and, no, I don't give a fuck if people disagree with me.

• Haha 1

Aye, though remember LFN, Downie *made* the front page. The Cmme are unto their own, and don't listen to anyone, but sometimes they really love a sitting duck... :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You prove my point.

That info is sitting on the wiki page, the chances that you knew that the song appeared in that film before you read about it are about as high as Charon embracing England as his Motherland.

Born in the UK? So was Bob Hope and he wasn't British.

One of the more eloquent posters here ( no, I'm not kissing your arse MSC... :lol:    ) puts this one in the same bracket as Gord Downie and he is right.

My assertion is that both were /are nowhere near famous enough for a thread of their own let alone any real mention because very few of the people on here have heard of them.

I've called out the bullshitters who talk like they have all their albums and have seen them in concert 25 times when they actually have not a fucking clue about them but go scampering off to look them up then come on here talking like they are seriously ITK and almost consider the rest of us as uneducated arses for daring to question the validity of a thread or obit.

Anybody can do that, type in something like ' 100 year old famous people' into a search engine and you get a whole plethora of possible DL contenders, you can then pretend to know all about their lives and careers...…….

Utter bollocks.

The forum is losing it's sense of reality and, no, I don't give a fuck if people disagree with me.

Actually I googled the info just so I could make what I thought was a tiny little joke in response to PB.

If you think I posted that stuff because I wanted you to think I knew it off the top of my head then :facepalm:

Due to his activism against apartheid Clegg is far more famous than Downie. I did not know him before coming here but he's achieved a discreet level of fame, which means I can easily find Italian articles about his gigs, whereas no one in Italy had a fucking clue about Gord Downie. If Ruby Muhammad made the DL, Clegg can be on it without any problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be truthful, I'd never heard of him until last year, but he can still have his own thread.   What we didn't know about him then, we know now and I dont see how that's ever a bad thing.  Knowledge is power LFN!  

TBF LFN, look at the size of the crowd our man is playing to here.  I doubt, say, The Velvet Underground or The Jesus and Mary chain ever appeared in front of an audience a tenth of that size, yet most of us will be familiar with their output.   The point is that he isn't a complete nobody and the posters who answered PB probably do know a bit about him now, if only because they checked him out last year when making a judgement about his obitability for DDP purposes.   

In fact, based on that, I'd quite like to take in one of his gigs and the real tragedy is that I'm unlikely to get the chance now. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Actually I googled the info just so I could make what I thought was a tiny little joke in response to PB.

If you think I posted that stuff because I wanted you to think I knew it off the top of my head then :facepalm:

It was a generic comment.

Do you really think you are even on my radar?

Don't flatter yourself, l have zero interest in interacting with you.

22 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

To be truthful, I'd never heard of him until last year, but he can still have his own thread.   What we didn't know about him then, we know now and I dont see how that's ever a bad thing.  Knowledge is power LFN!  

TBF LFN, look at the size of the crowd our man is playing to here.  I doubt, say, The Velvet Underground or The Jesus and Mary chain ever appeared in front of an audience a tenth of that size, yet most of us will be familiar with their output.   The point is that he isn't a complete nobody and the posters who answered PB probably do know a bit about him now, if only because they checked him out last year when making a judgement about his obitability for DDP purposes.   

In fact, based on that, I'd quite like to take in one of his gigs and the real tragedy is that I'm unlikely to get the chance now. 

You are just too bloody sensible!!!!!:lol:

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Wait, Gord Downie's dead?

Since last year. He was a hit for the DL.

He's someone whose music I've liked a lot since I was introduced to his stuff at uni; and although it would probably be fair to say he's not that famous in the UK in general, he's got a pretty good following worldwide.  One out of only about a dozen famous South Africans, and two South African musicians (along with Hugh Masekela) that I could name.

Equally, for my part I haven't heard of a ton of the other people who get discussed on here.  He just happens to be one that I know of and like. 

Incidentally, this little video is quite a fun one of one of his better known surprise backing dancers: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D0ZFS41yFqg0&ved=2ahUKEwj9tfbavt7dAhVJecAKHUuICcwQtwIwAHoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1sgRDRUYI0Ay_Kjv8bQxmX

1 hour ago, markb4 said:

Since last year. He was a hit for the DL.

Sorry. I was just kidding.  I was a big fan and found the conversation humorous. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Sorry. I was just kidding.  I was a big fan and found the conversation humorous. 

Sorry the humor went right over my head, lol!

5 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

To be truthful, I'd never heard of him until last year, but he can still have his own thread.   

Anyone can have their own thread because the thread-creating action for individuals isn't policed.

7 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It was a generic comment.

Do you really think you are even on my radar?

Don't flatter yourself, l have zero interest in interacting with you.

You just did :D

• Like 3

LFN you are in no position to start eliminating people YOU are willing to talk to.  What with the hordes who refuse to talk TO you, well there simply won't be anyone left.

Now now, don't fight, you can ALL find me one of the more eloquent, witty and amazing posters on here, I don't mind. :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

LFN you are in no position to start eliminating people YOU are willing to talk to.  What with the hordes who refuse to talk TO you, well there simply won't be anyone left.

Who cares!

28 minutes ago, msc said:

Now now, don't fight, you can ALL find me one of the more eloquent, witty and amazing posters on here, I don't mind. :lol:

Don't push it.:lol:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Won the 2010 Grand National.-_-

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

12" version, fnarr fnarr

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lolololololol how did I miss this afore the bump?

Classic LFN

heart_eyes_emoji_stickers-r0b196bf5379d4

On 28/09/2018 at 09:37, Death Impends said:

One of those niches the BBC loves is South African musical giants. He'll piss a Beeb obit at the very list, but further coverage is guaranteed.

Deleted....not interested in a debate. 

SC

The "toughest part of my journey will be the next two years, so I'm kind of geared up for that," Clegg, 65, said in the interview broadcast Tuesday night (19-Dec).

"I'm just trying to save all of you the heartbreak.  Don't put Johnny on  your DDP teams. " 

- Ruth Bader Ginsburg