Spade_Cooley

44. Ted Turner

Once a husband to Jane Fonda, that's how I knew him first from the German yellow press.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Once a husband to Jane Fonda...

She talked him out of running for President in 1999. Seems he did not realize how unpoplular Jane Fonda was with the Vietnam War Veterans and their families, at that time anyway. She had lots of influence on him and most likely knew it would not end well.

Article on the last days of Robin Williams (fellow Lewy Body sufferer) mentions that Ted Turner is "in the late stages now". 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

Article on the last days of Robin Williams (fellow Lewy Body sufferer) mentions that Ted Turner is "in the late stages now". 

Interesting.  I thought it was a little too early to think he could go in '21, as he was diagnosed in Sept. 2018 and the usual life expectancy is 5-7 years.  But perhaps he already was suffering from it for a bit and it went undiagnosed at first.  Must be the case if he's already in the late stages, as the article suggests.  

4 hours ago, adrian0719 said:

Williams used to annoy the living shit out of me and was virtually unwatchable, but LBD sounds horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Like 1

Porter Bibb, biographer of Ted Turner, who "speaks for him" according to a sensationalist Daily Mail article, says that Ted Turner might just commit suicide like Robin Williams with his father's silver gun, that his father already used to kill himself:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10535343/Discovery-shareholder-John-Malone-speaks-Ted-Turner-says-CNN-stick-news.html

Other bit of information: "His brain is starting to go. (...) If he loses his brain, I'm sure that he will follow Robin Williams."

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Americans be calling their kids "Porter Bibb".

Of course, now that you made me focus on that person, I just realised that Porter Bibb is also 85 years old, the first publisher of the Rolling Stone Magazine, and he invited the band The Rolling Stones to the Altamont festival:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_Bibb

Seems just about notable enough for our purposes.

• Like 2

Who will go first? Him or Jane Fonda?

Doing well, apparently still able to talk and interact normally.

• Like 3

image.png.3514434c01f79c8ea4a8c32433c93585.png

Him on his birthday (there's also a bit of footage here). He doesn't seem super alert and looks pretty stiff, but I wouldn't call him decrepit yet. Then again 5+ years of LBD is usually when shit starts hitting the fan so who knows.

• Like 3