with regards to killing an animal (the main reason in each case) from worst to best reason

sport like a dog fight

clothes like fur farming

experimenting on animals for non medical research

for food near the beginning of the animals life like veal

for food near the end of the animals life like old dairy cow

medical research

for organs

agree/disagree

This is a genuine request so I can understand the world I live in today but why is it absolutely not okay for white people to black up to look like someone who is black - for example Justin Trudeau below - but absolutely fine for someone to blue up to look like the blue genie in Aladdin - see Strictly photo below.

I'm not trying to make a clever point I just don't understand - they both seem like fancy dress make up required to look like the person you are dressing up as?

justin-trudeau-brownface-west-point-grey-2001-2.jpgSee the source image

23 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

This is a genuine request so I can understand the world I live in today but why is it absolutely not okay for white people to black up to look like someone who is black - for example Justin Trudeau below - but absolutely fine for someone to blue up to look like the blue genie in Aladdin - see Strictly photo below.

I'm not trying to make a clever point I just don't understand - they both seem like fancy dress make up required to look like the person you are dressing up as?

I'm with you.  I cannot see any reason why dressing up as a character when you are not the same race as said character should offend anyone.

If a black person wanted to dress up as, for example, Marilyn Monroe or Donald Trump, and used make-up to alter their skin tone, that wouldn't offend me, why should it?

• Like 2

Obligatory gag:

Met many blue people who've complained about it lately? :P

Anyhow, the backlash against Trudeau isn't so much for the photos, but more that he spent 4 years being publicly "woker than thee" and then it turns out he was a huge hypocrite.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, msc said:

Anyhow, the backlash against Trudeau isn't so much for the photos, but more that he spent 4 years being publicly "woker than thee" and then it turns out he was a huge hypocrite.

Yeah I thought using Trudeau as my example was probably a bad call for the discussion.

Why is blacking up to look like a black person offensive when bluing up to look like a blue character is not offensive?

58 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm with you.  I cannot see any reason why dressing up as a character when you are not the same race as said character should offend anyone.

If a black person wanted to dress up as, for example, Marilyn Monroe or Donald Trump, and used make-up to alter their skin tone, that wouldn't offend me, why should it?

Minstrels. 

The blacking up tradition is associated with racist past.

Blueing up is not associated with a racist past.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

justin-trudeau-brownface-west-point-grey-2001-2.jpgSee the source image

Just now, Kinnock said:

Minstrels. 

The blacking up tradition is associated with racist past.

Blueing up is not associated with a racist past.

Just noticed it was actually your question Grim. See the post above.

There's no blue people on the planet who could have played a blue role, black people on the other hand do exist.

7 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Just noticed it was actually your question Grim. See the post above.

There's no blue people on the planet who could have played a blue role, black people on the other hand do exist.

So it is wrong because the minstrels involved blacking up and that was synonymous with racial oppression?

I find it easy to accept that it is wrong to black up to look like the B&W minstrels or the gollywog off the jam jars but I still query if your fancy dress intention is to look like Mr T and you are not black then some artificial tanning lotion is required and I don't understand why that offends because it is just a colour like blue and surely if we can get to the point where there is no racism that is where we need to get to - black, blue, yellow, brown, white, purple are all just colours and have no deeper meaning?

Otherwise when do we ever move the issue forward? 

PS Kinnock - welcome back!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

surely if we can get to the point where there is no racism that is where we need to get to - black, blue, yellow, brown, white, purple are all just colours and have no deeper meaning?

Otherwise when do we ever move the issue forward?

Exactly.  People need to let go of all this stuff.  None of us are responsible for what our ancestors did.

All this sort of thing perpetuates racism in my opinion, because it pisses people off. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

So it is wrong because the minstrels involved blacking up and that was synonymous with racial oppression?

I find it easy to accept that it is wrong to black up to look like the B&W minstrels or the gollywog off the jam jars but I still query if your fancy dress intention is to look like Mr T and you are not black then some artificial tanning lotion is required and I don't understand why that offends because it is just a colour

You know, when I was a little kid I hated golliwogs because they looked repulsive.  And the Black & White Minstrels repelled me too.  But real, actual black* people - no, I was fine with them.   They didn't look anything like those other horrible things.   There was no connection in my mind.

*Of course I would never have dared to describe them as black.  That would have been very offensive.  We were brought up to be polite and say "coloured".

Although I always found that confusing because we're all coloured, aren't we?

• Like 1

There was a B&W minstrels LP for sale at the charity shop Mrs Bearer works in.  Gutted I didn't think about buying it at the time, it's gone now.  Either someone else bought it, someone complained about it and it was removed, or more likely the other manager of the shop spotted it and took it away so not to cause any offence.

I have been wondering how it would be viewed if, say, Lenny Henry were to send Matt Lucas a tweet with the following picture attached when it is his birthday.

Just incase people are unaware of what I am getting at.......https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bernardo-silva-racism-mendy-guardiola-16994032

th.jpg

3 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

There was a B&W minstrels LP for sale at the charity shop Mrs Bearer works in.  Gutted I didn't think about buying it at the time, it's gone now.  Either someone else bought it, someone complained about it and it was removed, or more likely the other manager of the shop spotted it and took it away so not to cause any offence.

The charity shop I frequent always has a couple of Lostprophets CDs* on the shelves.

I've complained on several occasion yet they always seem to reappear. 

Have to wonder who the fuck they're expecting to buy them?

(Ian Watkin's band for those not affay on this genre of music and wondering what the issues).

38 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

The charity shop I frequent always has a couple of Lostprophets CDs* on the shelves.

I've complained on several occasion yet they always seem to reappear. 

Have to wonder who the fuck they're expecting to buy them?

(Ian Watkin's band for those not affay on this genre of music and wondering what the issues).

I suppose lostprophets aren't quite in the same vein as Gary Glitter/Jimmy Saville. (Famousness wise) 

14 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

I suppose lostprophets aren't quite in the same vein as Gary Glitter/Jimmy Saville. (Famousness wise) 

Not on a fame level, but Ian Watkins as a name is notorious. I've just resorted to passing them back when I can be bothered going 'that's Ian Watkins' band normally to be met with furious apology and 'I don't know how they got on the shop floor'.

But given reporting it on numerous occasions seems to do nothing (surely a list of 'common CDs by people who raped kids, that should probably not be on the shelve wouldn't take long to draw up.)

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

Not on a fame level, but Ian Watkins as a name is notorious. I've just resorted to passing them back when I can be bothered going 'that's Ian Watkins' band normally to be met with furious apology and 'I don't know how they got on the shop floor'.

Perhaps they think you mean Steps.

• Haha 1

This is what happens when SJW students enter the real world. This is how you deal with these cry babies. Lefty middle class wastes of space, trying to disrupt working class people trying to get to work, feed and clothe their kids or themselves. 

Fuck extinction rebellion and their climate change Conspiracy.  Didn't they say an ice Age from the 70s was going kill us all or the ozone layer disappearing was going to kill us all in 80s or acid rain was going to kill us all in the 90s.  2000s global warming and now rebranded as climate change. Al Gore said they'd be no ice left now and the ice in Antarctica is actually growing. These green movements are just end of the world religious cults for the non-religious. 

• Like 2

Just to clarify, many in the Extinction Rebellion camp are actively against targeting public transport due to the fact it blatantly undermines the message of XR and is only likely to fuel discontent and anger at the movement.. 

Utter stupidity, from a SWJ student who's entered the real world :lol:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Just to clarify, many in the Extinction Rebellion camp are actively against targeting public transport due to the fact it blatantly undermines the message of XR and is only likely to fuel discontent and anger at the movement.. 

Utter stupidity, from a SWJ student who's entered the real world :lol:

Glad to have you back you were missed.

Now can you update hares deadpool :P

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Glad to have you back you were missed.

Now can you update hares deadpool :P

I can. :)

Doesn't mean I'm going too. :P

(In all seriousness it will be done at some point).

• Like 2

On 16/10/2019 at 15:39, Toast said:

You know, when I was a little kid I hated golliwogs because they looked repulsive.  And the Black & White Minstrels repelled me too.  But real, actual black* people - no, I was fine with them.   They didn't look anything like those other horrible things.   There was no connection in my mind.

*Of course I would never have dared to describe them as black.  That would have been very offensive.  We were brought up to be polite and say "coloured".

Although I always found that confusing because we're all coloured, aren't we?

Same here. I have cousins who are mixed race and they and their black relatives certainly didn't look like golliwogs. I was quite taken aback when I realised.

As to Kinnock's  statements there are no blue folk, that's not quite true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Fugates

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Same here. I have cousins who are mixed race and they and their black relatives certainly didn't look like golliwogs. I was quite taken aback when I realised.

As to Kinnock's  statements there are no blue folk, that's not quite true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Fugates

According to the article there's one left, hardly a race is he. 

That also reads like one of those false wiki articles written to fool people, can anyone afford a historian?

On 17/10/2019 at 10:36, the_engineer said:

This is what happens when SJW students enter the real world. This is how you deal with these cry babies. Lefty middle class wastes of space, trying to disrupt working class people trying to get to work, feed and clothe their kids or themselves. 

Fuck extinction rebellion and their climate change Conspiracy.  Didn't they say an ice Age from the 70s was going kill us all or the ozone layer disappearing was going to kill us all in 80s or acid rain was going to kill us all in the 90s.  2000s global warming and now rebranded as climate change. Al Gore said they'd be no ice left now and the ice in Antarctica is actually growing. These green movements are just end of the world religious cults for the non-religious.

Here here - well said! They feel that the world owes them something, yet do nothing but point fingers accusing people of their "wrongs" and post "influential" shite via Instatwit and Facegram...

If they did something constructive instead of bleating on ad-infinitum about the problems in the world, then maybe they'd be more worthy of our respect...

• Like 2

Evening Standard Article about the BBC getting two black MPs confused

Just your normal standard article but ended with the most wonderfully pleasing footnote.

'An earlier version of this story carried a photograph supplied by Getty Images, which it had incorrectly captioned as being Marsha de Cordova when it was Streatham MP Bell Ribeiro-Addy. The Evening Standard apologises unreservedly for the error'

:D:D:D

Comedy gold - you could not make that up.

• Like 2

Citybus apologises for turning Pride bus into NHS rainbow bus https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plymouth-citybus-apologises-turning-pride-4145496#ICID=Android_PlymouthHeraldNewApp_AppShare

This non story in my City is so bad. Basically the Pride symbol has been covered over with a Thank You NHS on a rainbow bus.

Didnt stop some rancid queens complaining that the rainbow is the gay community symbol and that this is a rebranding too far.

As a rancid queen myself- not even I am offended by this. But some of the social media on the local pride forums here has been hilarious. It's all the youngsters complaining naturally.