On another note, I'm really disturbed by the current attitude towards women and their vulnerability.

I can still hear from my youth the voice of my mum with the litany "Don't walk home on your own!  Don't have too much to drink!   Keep your wits about you! etc "

But nowadays it seems to me that a generation of girls is being indoctrinated with the opposite.

They are ENTITLED to get as pissed as they like, ENTITLED to dress like whores, ENTITLED to walk home alone in the dark.

Anyone who suggests that they might be making themselves vulnerable is firmly told that they are ENTITLED to please themselves.

In a perfect world there would be no bad people who would attack, mug, rape, kill.

But it isn't a perfect world, and there will always be people like that whether we like it or not.

So the advice, especially to young women,  should be to take responsibility for themselves, reduce risk and don't render yourself vulnerable.

But if you dare to suggest that someone has contributed to their own misfortune by reckless behaviour, you are immediately accused of:

"VICTIM BLAMING"

I really despair.

I think it is totally irresponsible to instil this mindset in young people.  It enables the predators.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Can somebody précis this for those who haven’t got a fucking clue what this ramble was all about?

There has been talk, Stateside, I think about getting the Pepe Le Pew cartoon banned because he was always trying to seduce a cat, or summat.

Rather like cancelling Dr Suess, people are trying to erase the past because they see things that no other bastard ever saw or still sees.

Something along those lines.

PB is on the money, no doubt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

There has been talk, Stateside, I think about getting the Pepe Le Pew cartoon banned because he was always trying to seduce a cat, or summat.

Rather like cancelling Dr Suess, people are trying to erase the past because they see things that no other bastard ever saw or still sees.

Something along those lines.

PB is on the money, no doubt.

Nah he isn’t, cos this ‘talk’ is designed purely to wind like-minded people up. It’s fiction, there in an attempt to defame and ridicule those who do just want a better, less discriminatory society. The reason it sound like it’s nonsense is because, well, it fucking is. I bet absolutely nothing will come of it other than a few red faces.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Nah he isn’t, cos this ‘talk’ is designed purely to wind like-minded people up. It’s fiction, there in an attempt to defame and ridicule those who do just want a better, less discriminatory society. The reason it sound like it’s nonsense is because, well, it fucking is. I bet absolutely nothing will come of it other than a few red faces.

I have no idea as to whether that story is kosher or not, however, we have seen enough idiocy of late to make that story perfectly plausible.

We ALL want a better and less discriminatory society but the way people are going about it is just fucking moronic.

• Like 1

They resisted arrest, rolled about on the ground to avoid getting taken away, caused a mob riot then got handcuffed so they could be arrested and it's all the police's fault - yeh right.

They were there to cause trouble with the police so that they could claim police brutality - no other reason.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

They resisted arrest, rolled about on the ground to avoid getting taken away, caused a mob riot then got handcuffed so they could be arrested and it's all the police's fault - yeh right.

They were there to cause trouble with the police so that they could claim police brutality - no other reason.

You’re a nasty old crank.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

They were told not to gather there at that time. 

I agree with torbrexbones that some probably went to deliberately bait the police, but I think that for a lot of people it was an excuse to get out and do a bit of social mingling.

I personally don't see the point of going there "to pay respects" anyway, you can do that anywhere.   A "vigil" is for family and friends to organise if they so wish, not Rentamob.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

There may be a grain of truth in what you say, but then most people that tell truths end up getting a label of some kind by those that know what they say is true.

Either way, I don't give a shit about what you think.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

To be fair to him.... 

The Police acted with the grace and intelligence of a moron.

Manhandling people, they way they did, was completely over the fucking top, especially as a bit of intelligent policing could have prevented the gathering from getting into the fucking park at the outset.

However, that gathering became a protest driven by the same scum bags that have infiltrated Ex Reb, BLM, The Labour Party, Argos, etc.

Good ole heroic Patsy has had to reactivate her twitter account and has had a fab time going on TV ( and, no doubt, Talk Radio progs ) telling us all how she has been thrust into the limelight and was completely TERRIFIED when she was arrested.

Did she look fucking terrified to you? 

An actress took her cue, looked right into the cameras as they flashed away and made her mark.

She wasn't the only one.

The Police were terrible, stupid and inept.

The 'protestors' at the vigil were anarchists, political agitators and pond life who deserved a kick in.

Unfortunately, in that process, innocent people got shoved around like meat.

That was the real problem.

I argued with my boss over this today. She thought it was terrible, I thought it was equality. (I should note she is the kind of boss who insists on talking politics with her staff even though history tells us it’s a bad idea). 

I also argued with a Facebook ‘friend’ (someone I worked with years ago who isn’t a friend but is entertaining to watch) over why she thought the BLM protests should’ve been stopped but defended the right of the women to protest.

Just incase you think I’m getting too liberal in my old age, my stance was neither should’ve been permitted given the global pandemic but instead of questioning why the black were allowed, I applaud the police for getting it right this time.

Then there was the comparison between Rangers fans and women. In my view they are not comparable because it was the actions of two separate police forces who were answerable to two different executives.

At the end of the day it’s probably Meghan Markles fault because she is black and a woman and I’m beginning to think possibly also a Ranger’s Fan... 

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm going to be cancelled next month.  I must have answered one wrong.  :D

Next month for me. Although the answers were a bit binary. The book one for example. If I see something "a bit dodgy" coming up in a book I'm reading the wean, I just try and edit my telling around it (as usually its something that can go without hurting the flow of the actual tale). When the wean spots something before me and asks about it, I try and explain it in a context they'll understand. Certainly no shoving it on a shelf and feeling all guilty about something written before my birth. (But then, I'm of the view  that, for exmaple, The Merchant of Venice was heavily radical for its time, and if its main portrayal of Shylock is seen as dodgy now, it just means we've become more tolerant as a society than in Shakespeares time which is a *good thing*)

Since I've made the error (:lol:) of posting in the Snowflake thread, while I am here, the Dr Seuss thing was a PR masterstroke I applaud. They stopped printing 6 books no one has ever heard of, pretty much, and announced it was to clean him up. Result? His estate look progressive to those who care about such things, those who think he was being cancelled have spiked an increase in sales of his books, and all of his books which actually make money (ie the vast majority) are still on sale. End result? They got in the press, made a  company saving and made it look like an ethical decision, and made a vast profit. Almost Machiavellian.

Woko Haram... haha...

...also, next month.

I don't like the recent misappropriation of the word "cancelled", but I'll take it to the English Language thread - later on though as I don't have time just now.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/are-you-going-to-be-cancelled-take-our-quiz-20210317206262

I scored cancelled daily, no way I was faking the answers for fun. Honest.

I am going to be cancelled next month, but also in two months, but I won't realise until August.

You will be cancelled next month

You haven’t really heard of this cancellation business until recently, and try to be a good person and keep your head down. You will be cancelled in two months because silence is violence and erasure of marginalised people, but you're not on Twitter so won't realise until August.

I guess a nonsense answer from a nonsense 'quiz' was all anyone could expect really.

17 minutes ago, time said:

nonsense 'quiz'

What precisely were you expecting from 'TheDailyMash'?

"I've started so I'll finish"...

"Your starter for 10" maybe..

:D

5 minutes ago, En Passant said:

What precisely were you expecting from 'TheDailyMash'?

"I've started so I'll finish"...

"Your starter for 10" maybe..

:D

Fair comment, I think I expected roughly what I got.

I was cancelled at the first question, none of the choices fitted what I would do.

I would have read the passage out as it was written.

I refuse to pander to the Snowflake society that is trying to re-write history.

• Like 1

The Labour leader visited Jesus House in London on Good Friday and later shared a video from his visit online.

But after a backlash including from his party's LGBT+ members, Sir Keir called it a mistake and deleted the clip.

So you have to check everything before you can even visit a church now....so sad.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

The Labour leader visited Jesus House in London on Good Friday and later shared a video from his visit online.

But after a backlash including from his party's LGBT+ members, Sir Keir called it a mistake and deleted the clip.

So you have to check everything before you can even visit a church now....so sad.

No-one has to check anything, but sometimes it pays to. Anyway, its the 21st century, why are people still going to church?

• Like 2

Ableist language:

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20210330-the-harmful-ableist-language-you-unknowingly-use

Examples: "Turning a blind eye", calling a person "crazy", or someone "psychopathic". Also the words "Dumb" and "lame".

Now, okay, I get some of it, it's like saying "gay" when you mean "bad".

But somehow, I still feel that this is a bit too much. The examples are too broad. Eventually, we'll all be reduced to speaking like robots.

On 06/04/2021 at 11:16, time said:

No-one has to check anything, but sometimes it pays to. Anyway, its the 21st century, why are people still going to church?

To mirror that point - why are people still worried about who is anti-gay and who isn't?

8 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

To mirror that point - why are people still worried about who is anti-gay and who isn't?

Being 'anti-gay' makes as much sense as being 'anti-green-eyed people'. Like I said - it's the 21st Century so such discriminatory attitudes are completely irrational. While I might tolerate such people, I certainly wouldn't take any course of action which might indicate I supported or encouraged such attitudes. Organisations which encourage and support discriminatory attitudes surely have no place in civilised society. </dismounts soapbox>

• Like 2