Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stats

Greatest Ever Scotsman

If it's from football it has to be this man:

0,,10273~3061591,00.jpg

I played against him once in a charity match, little bastard tied me in knots.

I have it on good authority that it is in fact this chap:

tot_173_alan_gilzean.JPG

Or perhaps this one, who, ahem, went like lightning:

john_white.jpg

In contemporary terms I'd agree with LB and LFN, Frankie Boyle is hilarious.

In footballing terms I'd have to go for this man:

jinky.jpg

Sir William Paterson

Sir_William_Paterson.jpg

Founder of the Bank of England.

Isnt it strange that the majority of names put forward have all reached the pinnacle of success in ENGLAND.

Isnt it strange that the majority of names put forward have all reached the pinnacle of success in ENGLAND.

Well, they have to teach somewhere :blink:

Well, they have to teach somewhere :blink:

You know HCW, I may, just may have gone along with that ( tongue in cheek) but the statement falls on its arse when you say Ivor "Oh look a thistle" Cutler.

You know Im right!

BTW, Who was Rikki Fulton? Did he play for St. Mirren?

No, I don't think he was a footballer, maybe in a previous life. Rikki certainly was 'famous in his own back yard' One of his best characters was the Rev I.M.Jolly

Watch and enjoy

Tell that to Alex Salmond and the brown shirts that are constantly on my back.

One of his followers informed me that my interpretation of the 1707 Union was wrong. According to my nationalist 'friend', England was desperate for the Union to be signed to put an end to centuries of Anglo-Scottish war because they were losing.

When I informed him that the last Anglo-Scottish war ended in the 1540s, and that the Scottish state was struggling to pay her army in the years immediately preceeding 1707, he said I was speaking shite.

Anyway - this will count as my rant of the day...

Tell that to Alex Salmond and the brown shirts that are constantly on my back.

One of his followers informed me that my interpretation of the 1707 Union was wrong. According to my nationalist 'friend', England was desperate for the Union to be signed to put an end to centuries of Anglo-Scottish war because they were losing.

When I informed him that the last Anglo-Scottish war ended in the 1540s, and that the Scottish state was struggling to pay her army in the years immediately preceeding 1707, he said I was speaking shite.

Anyway - this will count as my rant of the day...

Your follower should have said that England was keen on the Union as a way of shoring up its position in advance of an impending Jacobite rebellion. Scotland's political classes wanted it so that they could flood south and launch a pre-emptive takeover of the British Empire, so that they could visit on the benighted colonial peoples a taste of the medicine that England had been forcing on them since the 1540s.

Does Wee Jimmie Krankie qualify? I am sure he must have grown up to be a fine specimen of a lad... :blink:

Wikipedia:

In 2003, "Wee Jimmy Krankie" was voted "The Most Scottish Person In The World" by the readers of The Glasgow Herald.

Let's not forget about greatest Scottish women. My vote goes to Sheena Easton, who at one stage was topping the US pop charts, appearing (sort of) in the opening credits of a Bond film, and taking a turn as Sonny Crockett's short-lived wife on Miami Vice. A real triple threat.

• Like 1

Shut up the lot of yers.....

10171762_H.jpg

Case closed!

Let's not forget about greatest Scottish women. My vote goes to Sheena Easton, who at one stage was topping the US pop charts, appearing (sort of) in the opening credits of a Bond film, and taking a turn as Sonny Crockett's short-lived wife on Miami Vice. A real triple threat.

Did you mean treat? On second thoughts, maybe you did mean threat....

Sheena Easton is trying to tap in to the 'pink pound' by re-launching herself as a gay icon. She hasn't played in Scotland since she was booed off stage there eighteen years ago.

Said Steven Taylor, the producer of Glasgay!, Scotland's biggest gay festival: "As far as I'm concerned she is pretty much a washed-up has-been. We have a very young funky audience who, to be frank, are into much cooler acts than Sheena Easton. The idea that we would ask her to come back and perform in Glasgow is completely laughable. Gay audiences do love their ageing divas, but I think Sheena Easton is pushing things too far. In Scotland straight and gay audiences both tend not to like people who go away, change their accent and lose complete touch with their roots. I'm very sorry, Sheena, but your invitation to come back to Glasgow is not likely to be sent out any time soon."

In my opinion the greatest ever Scotsmen were Sawney Bean and Frank McAvennie.

Well, if it's all about staying true to your (ginger) roots:

Oor_Wullie.jpg

Sawney Bean! Good Call.

The greatest contributor to Scottish cuisine until someone accidentally dropped a chocolate bar into the deep fat fryer.

Sir Jackie Stewart.

Well it certainly isn't Chris Iwelumo :flame: .

So does that mean that we are out of the Euro thingy already?

I heard someone saying that we 'had to win' this match?