This forum is full of hilariously terrible predictions regarding death. Who doesn't remember Death Impends cursing Abe Vigoda, or "Fats Domino will see 90", or the curious case of Sir Creep, Howard Marks and some curly wurlys. :D Or indeed, any post by mine you wish to bring up, "Reg Presley is doing better" 2 month before he died comes to mind.

But never mind all that, what's are some of the best calls you've seen on the forum? When posters bring up a celeb who doesn't seem to be in immediate trouble, but lo and behold they snuffed it within a reasonable short time frame. Like Weebl and John Wetton, or whoever it was that said Dale Winton looked rough (I forget), or any thread started by Paul Bearer seemingly, etc.

Thread inspired by a Sean post. Now, don't know if you've noticed, but our Sean loves lists. Lots of them. Pot, kettle, black, you say? But here's a shortlist of 6 from July 2013:

Three oldies, three chronically ill folk with nothing pressingly immediate. 4 of the 6 died that DDP year (2014) and all 6 were dead within 2 years. :clap:

• Like 3

Can we add worst forum calls to this as well. If so I would like to add whenever death ray predicted a "massive" death during the weekend only for fuck all to happen. 

As for best forum call I would say the time death ray predicted a massive death and getting it correct.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Can we add worst forum calls to this as well. If so I would like to add whenever death ray predicted a "massive" death during the weekend only for fuck all to happen. 

As for best forum call I would say the time death ray predicted a massive death and getting it correct.

So he has a 50/50 (ish) success rate

That's not too shabby.

• Haha 2

In recent times the Leslie Grantham spot based off an appearance on some Channel 5 talking head show is up there.

• Like 1

Kudos for having the strapline a Pogues song.

Blowing my own trumpet for the luckiest hit, Lindsay Kemp in the Silver Screen pool. Wasn't my first choice of film, so picked him once I'd got two others who won't make old bones.

Hadn't heard of him in years, but 6/7 days later its respects.gif

gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, msc said:

This forum is full of hilariously terrible predictions regarding death. Who doesn't remember Death Impends cursing Abe Vigoda, or "Fats Domino will see 90", or the curious case of Sir Creep, Howard Marks and some curly wurlys. :DOr indeed, any post by mine you wish to bring up, "Reg Presley is doing better" 2 month before he died comes to mind.

But one of your correct calls killed off Ian Brady, so that makes up for all of the times you missed the mark!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, charon said:

Kudos for having the strapline a Pogues song.

I love that song. And album.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I love that song. And album.

At least he got the odds right in that song.

Always got on my tits about Fairytale, "got on a lucky one, came in 18/1".

No. It fucking didn't in the pre digital age.

I sort of predicted Gord Downie's death to happen in the next two months, but it happened about a day or two after a posted it (it was about John Dunsworth being the biggest Canadian death of 2017 unless Gord or something died...)

I would also like to add the @Paul Bearer curse in which any celeb that paul started a thread on in the last couple of years have only lived to at most 3 months after the thread is made. See Leslie Grantham, Brian Rix and Paul Daniels for examples.

To redress the Sir Creep balance, I remember him bringing up Gordie Howe several times as a cert to die within 18 months. Based not on news stories, or social media, but an undying belief that Howe's medical procedure could only add 18 months or so to his prognosis. Nearly everyone else ignored Howe entirely, only for him to prove Creep entirely right, and die within the 18 months period predicted.

3 hours ago, msc said:

To redress the Sir Creep balance, I remember him bringing up Gordie Howe several times as a cert to die within 18 months. Based not on news stories, or social media, but an undying belief that Howe's medical procedure could only add 18 months or so to his prognosis. Nearly everyone else ignored Howe entirely, only for him to prove Creep entirely right, and die within the 18 months period predicted.

You do realise that you will never hear the last of that now?

• Haha 2

Gcreptile with Bobby Zarin and me with Mark E Smith comparing with Monty Brinson and John Wetton respectively - right down to the same month as well!

9 hours ago, msc said:

I guess NFL quarterbacks have a knack of getting past that threshold but how far?  John Brodie and Bart Starr both had the same Mexican stem cell treatment.  Brodie is years younger so perhaps a bad example, though seeing him get on to 2020 could be spotty.  Bart Starr (who should have died earlier this year), borrowed time is all I can say.  Will be disappointed when (not if but when) the Committee eschews Starr in 2019.  He's a huge name, seems DLy, but we all know U.S. sports stars aren't in the wheelhouse.  Alas.
SC

On 27/10/2018 at 18:20, Sir Creep said:

Bart Starr (who should have died earlier this year), borrowed time is all I can say.  Will be disappointed when (not if but when) the Committee eschews Starr in 2019.  He's a huge name, seems DLy, but we all know U.S. sports stars aren't in the wheelhouse.  Alas.
SC

This one was fucking right and all.

Quick, Sir Creep, tell us the American sports HOFer who is destined to die in 2020...

PS If you say Doleman, a Paddington Bear stare is forthcoming...

12 hours ago, msc said:

This one was fucking right and all.

Quick, Sir Creep, tell us the American sports HOFer who is destined to die in 2020...

PS If you say Doleman, a Paddington Bear stare is forthcoming...

Mark Gastineau (spelling?)

drol already acknowledged the success rate of this post (6 out of 7) when Mugabe died, but given how long these immortals linger (with only Shivakumara blatantly on the way out at the year's beginning) it's worth enshrining here as well:

• Like 2

The dead cow picking Vanessa Marquez for his HPDP last year is the most impressive call I've seen in my 11 years on here . It's not like  she was ill or well known or anything just a minor celeb killed by the police.

This mid-2018 post suggesting both Sultan Qaboos and Roger Scruton as picks:

And while Qaboos was ill for years (though not obviously on the way out at the time of the post), this post was from before Scruton was diagnosed with cancer. So two fairly random suggestions at the time, yet in the end they died within two days of each other.

• Like 2

I'm very new here but i've already got a few somewhat unexpected hits in some pools, of course these aren't comparable to those of people who have been here for a longer time but here's some:

- Stewart Prestley Blake. He was 106 so it was not very unexpected, but died 12 days after I picked him as a sub in the centenarians deathpool 2021 after my original pick, Dovid Soloveitchik died before reaching 100.

- Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri. I picked him in my first pool, the one with 250 names,  as I used to follow updates on him pretty often. Kind of a bad pick as there have been rumors of his death for years and he could've died off the radar but didn't. Not my worst pick though, that price would go to Mirzazhanov Atoyevich

*Sigh*

Surely, if we’re doing this, we’ve got to talk big names right? Not dull unknowns like Dovid Solofuckoffovovovofovofovich or <insert random centenarian here>.

I got hits with John Hurt and Aretha Franklin, for example, that caught me by surprise.

• Like 1

Surely this only works with Theme Team picks?

Otherwise what's the story? I'm so shit at dead pooling I put some people in my team that I didn't think would die and then was really surprised and lucky when they did?

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

*Sigh*

Surely, if we’re doing this, we’ve got to talk big names right?

The main reason I started this thread was to see what others with more experience have achieved, I hadn't even heard of this website until the pandemic. 

3 hours ago, arghton said:

I'm very new here but...

Full Stop.

Quit starting threads then, cunt.

Similarish thread imo.

Reminds me to put John Brodie (whoever he is) on my shortlist for 2022 though... :D