Joey Russ

The 4th Crowdsource Deathlist (2019 edition)

After an amazing three years of hosting the annual Crowdsource list, former host msc has decided to step down from hosting duties for this pool. However, with every great pool out there, there must be a host to fulfill those pools, and therefore I decided to take over for the Crowdsource list. With 9 or so weeks till Hogmanay, I decided that now would be a good time to open this thread. A mediocre performance with only 12 hits, with next year be a stronger year? We'll wait and see...

THE RULES

Rules

1. Please send a list of celebrities you wish to vote for to Joey Russ, during the time period of 23rd November to the 31st December 2018. The list must have a minimum of 20 names on it, and a maximum of 50.

Please send them by either PM or the Shadow List thread, not by email, semaphore, Morse code, Deathlist live chat, animated corpses, text messages, or any other means of communication you can think of. And you may only submit via 1 of those two methods above, NOT BOTH METHODS! 

2. Your 1st choice will gain 50 points, 2nd 49, etc etc to 50th which will gain 1 point.

3. When the deadline passes, all of the points that an individual celebrity gain will be added together, and the top fifty celebrities with the most points overall will go on the Utterly Unofficial Forum List.

4. Feel free to add substitutes at the bottom of the list, which will only be counted if one of your fifty die before January 1st 2019. If for example your number one pick is such a smart one they die before January 1st, then I will give 50 points to your 2nd pick, and so on until 1 point is given to the first substitute.

5. Do try to make the picks as "Deathlisty" as possible. More Jacques Chirac and less Sara Chivers, if you know what I mean. Someone likely to score an obit with one of the major English language news outlets.

6. The deadline for sending in entries is 31st December 2018 at 9 pm GMT. That's 4pm New York Time (31st December) and 8am (1st Jan) Melbourne time to help out non-Brits. This earlier dead line is so there's enough time to complete the list before the new year as well as enjoying some extra time off as well.

7. This is essentially a forum game without a winner. It does however put the long held notion by some that the combined minds of the forum know better than the Committee to the test.

8. Who picked whom will remain anonymous. Unless the person announces it of course.

9. The paranoid probably shouldn't send in their DDP unique hopefuls. Whilst I do not intend to steal them away, it would make no sense: if the person then showed up on the list, their chances of being unique would be very slim indeed!

10. To keep to the Deathlist spirit, only the top 25 ranked celebrites from the current list of Crowdsourced Deathlist 2018 survivors will be used: George Bush Sr, Leah Bracknell, Kirk Douglas, Olivia Newton-John, Prince Philip, Nobby Stiles, Robert Mugabe, Vera Lynn, Leslie Phillips, Clive James, Herman Wouk, Glynis Johns, Olivia de Havilland, Dilip Kumar, Jill Gascoine, Pope Benedict, Jimmy Carter, Franco Zeffirelli, Sidney Poitier, Greg Gilbert, Mikhail Gorbachev, Fernando Ricksen, John Hume, Linda Nolan, Stan Lee, Joanne Woodward, Jean of Luxembourg, Diana Athill, Jacques Chirac, Alberto Fujimori, Valerie Harper, Bob Dole, Pearl Carr, Beverly Clearly, Monica Vitti, Diana Serra Carry, Yoko Ono, Val Kilmer

Some names there I don’t think anyone expected to be in contention for 2019, but there’s still time in 2018 yet.

10a) Our actual collated list will stick to the "25 from the previous year" rule.

10b) As a result, if our top fifty, after all votes have been counted, has more than twenty-five of the 2018 survivors (named for ease in Rule 10), then the lowest ranked excess survivors will be axed from the list in favour of The Fifty-First ranked celebrity and so on...

10c) Since we don't know if that'll be an issue until I actually do the counting, voters don't need to worry about limiting their personal lists to 25 survivors. It'd be nice if they did, but that's life.

11) Please pick living people. Folk do die before 1st January, but there were a few cases of people dead for a number of years chosen last time. Please do not pick animals, or ISIS prisoners, or kids, or any of the usual no go areas.

Anyhow, enjoy. Or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. Kirk Douglas 1081 (4th, 4th)
  2. Leah Bracknell 1066 (3rd, 2nd) :skull:
  3. Herman Wouk 1004 (4th, 13th) :skull:
  4. Jean-Louis Trintignant 986 (NEW)
  5. Robert Mugabe 882 (4th, 9th) :skull:
  6. Vera Lynn 861 (4th, 10th)
  7. Nobby Stiles 843 (3rd, 8th)
  8. Clive James 787 (4th, 12th) :skull:
  9. Fernando Ricksen 782 (3rd, 29th) :skull:
  10. Olivia Newton-John 750 (2nd, 6th)
  11. Olivia de Havilland 746 (4th, 16th)
  12. Prince Philip 716 (4th, 7th)
  13. Dilip Kumar 599 (2nd, 16th)
  14. Tim Conway 570 (NEW) :skull:
  15. Bob Dole 567 (3rd, 41st)
  16. Le Duc Anh 567 (NEW) :skull:
  17. Pope Benedict 563 (4th, 23rd)
  18. Bob Barker 561 (NEW)
  19. George Alagiah 529 (NEW)
  20. Leslie Phillips 511 (4th, 11th)
  21. Jimmy Carter 494 (4th, 24th)
  22. Glynis Johns 487 (3rd, 15th)
  23. Stirling Moss 480 (NEW)
  24. John McCririck 475 (NEW) :skull:
  25. Jill Gascoine 465 (3rd, 22nd)
  26. Sidney Poitier 462 (3rd, 26th)
  27. Javier Pérez de Cuellar 461 (NEW)
  28. Mikhail Gorbachev 454 (4th, 28th)
  29. Violet Chamorro 453 (NEW)
  30. Bill Turnbull 436 (NEW)
  31. Terry Jones 428 (NEW)
  32. Kathleen Blanco 408 (NEW) :skull:
  33. Lee Kerslake 388 (NEW)
  34. Loretta Lynn 365 (NEW)
  35. John Hume 355 (2nd, 31st)
  36. Doris Day 350 (NEW) :skull:
  37. Jacques Chirac 345 (3rd, 38th) :skull:
  38. Johnny Clegg 328 (NEW) :skull:
  39. Franco Zeffirelli 298 (2nd, 25th) :skull:
  40. Roberta McCain 296 (NEW)
  41. Gina Lolligibrida 293 (2, -)
  42. Betty White 292 (NEW)
  43. Jean of Luxembourg 274 (2nd, 36th) :skull:
  44. Ruth Bader Ginsburg 267 (NEW)
  45. IM Pei 262 (NEW) :skull:
  46. John Andretti 259 (NEW)
  47. Rosalynn Carter 245 (NEW)
  48. Pierre Cardin 240 (NEW)
  49. Sheila Mercier 218 (NEW) :skull:
  50. Beverly Cleary 217 (2nd, 44th)

Anyways, now is the time you can start pushing names to go on the list. Since I am the host, I feel obligated not to push any names for the list, but for everyone else, you can start making your case for the candidates you want on the list...

In before Glynis Johns :D

• Like 1

Free at Last!

• Like 2

Best of luck, Joey. You'll be grand.

• Like 1

violeta-chamorro-750x500.jpg

Violeta Chamorro(89) former President of Nicaragua and one of the main people responsible for ending the Contra War

Has had a brain tumor for years,also has osteoporosis,also had a stroke and been clinging to life in a hospital much of 2018.

Annual obligatory Thomas Schafernaker. They sent him to a active hurricane ffs, and he has to be on something with those weather forecasts. Everybody should have this man top of their lists. 

7dQF4dA7_400x400.jpg

• Sad 1

1768770332_Screenshot2018-10-28at07_13_51.thumb.png.36c8a4af2139d6a67e33c5a794cc29c9.png

Forget it.

1247129797_Screenshot2018-10-28at07_17_31.thumb.png.7b45845ad93e21b4a71b1b9733589f8c.png

This fucked out old pundit here, who generally goes by the name John McCririck, must surely be odds on for the 2019 list. The disgracefully misogynistic tic-tac man, 78, displayed a dramatic drop in weight of late, and would probably even back himself as a frontrunner for the upcoming list; he's quoted as saying he won't live to see another summer.

Jacqueline "Jackie" Stallone (left), beautiful and natural looking mother of Sylvester, famous in her own way for being... whatever.

Next month she will be 97, which is a pretty age to consider her....

Screenshot_20181028-182708_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

On 27/10/2018 at 22:00, Joey Russ said:

With 9 or so weeks till Hogmanay, I decided that now would be a good time to open this thread.

Why? It's not even freaking November yet, lots of celebs will have died before that hog-thingy that you speak of will arrive. Who in their right mind would actually send their full list any earlier than, say, mid-December?

• Angry 1

3 hours ago, Predictor said:

Why? It's not even freaking November yet, lots of celebs will have died before that hog-thingy that you speak of will arrive. Who in their right mind would actually send their full list any earlier than, say, mid-December?

A. I started it because there needs to be enough time for people to try to get their favorite names into the public knowledge. If started it around the time that the submission period opened, it wouldn’t be enough time for people to do that.

B. This is the only time I’m able to start this thread in a while cause there’s other aspects of my life that I need to focus on right now. 

C. I also thought it was good to start both this thread and the Advent Avalanche around the same time

Hopes this helps explain the reason why I did it this early...

• Like 2

On 30/10/2018 at 13:37, Joey Russ said:

A. I started it because there needs to be enough time for people to try to get their favorite names into the public knowledge. If started it around the time that the submission period opened, it wouldn’t be enough time for people to do that.

B. This is the only time I’m able to start this thread in a while cause there’s other aspects of my life that I need to focus on right now. 

C. I also thought it was good to start both this thread and the Advent Avalanche around the same time

Hopes this helps explain the reason why I did it this early...

A. Umm, it's usually the same old names that gets repeated ad nauseam anyways, so what's the point? This is a community that's obsessed with celebrity health, people here know about every single ailment that any public figure has.

B: Lol, how long did it take to paste the rules to this thread? A whole 10 seconds? :D

C: Two different death pools, with two different deadlines. It's freaking me out that we're already looking towards 2019, time needs to slow the fuck down. We're all one step closer to the grave, and we're not getting any younger.

Oh, and one more thing: Fuck off,  @Deathray

46 minutes ago, Predictor said:

A. Umm, it's usually the same old names that gets repeated ad nauseam anyways, so what's the point? This is a community that's obsessed with celebrity health, people here know about every single ailment that any public figure has.

B: Lol, how long did it take to paste the rules to this thread? A whole 10 seconds? :D

C: Two different death pools, with two different deadlines. It's freaking me out that we're already looking towards 2019, time needs to slow the fuck down. We're all one step closer to the grave, and we're not getting any younger.

Hm, no. The fact that I had to made multiple adjustments to the rules I felt were necessary meant that it took nearly a half hour for me to complete that part. 

12 hours ago, Predictor said:

Look have a go at Joey all you want, but attempting at getting Thomas Schafernaker on the list is an annual tradition that will be kept up until either he lives long enough to warrant being on the list or get's blown into the sea in one of the active hurricanes he gets sent too. Lighten up.

Crowdsourced Candidate #7  - Nobby Stiles

Nobby Stiles

Once a hero of a field, now a symbol for everything that was wrong with the game's treatment of players in that era. Left with Alzheimers likely caused by the game, and no money or financial support from the FA despite achieving the greatest accomplishment in the game for his country.

• Like 1

Crowdsourced Candidate #8 -- (Gov.) Kathleen Blanco

I'm not going to be turning in a list for this DP, it's all I can do to put together anything competitive for DDP or anything else.  
HOWEVER -- as I stated elsewhere, I honestly with all my heart believe the former Governor of Louisiana should and WILL be on the ACTUAL DeathList 2019.  They like big searchable names, and people who are either ancient or quite ill.  Blanco is quite ill (stage 4 cancer for over a year now).  I just don't see how she will make it to 2020, but she could pull a 'Bracknell' on us (Bracknell now a Malaprop for not dying when by all accounts you should).  She should be D40, actual DL, and will certainly be on my teams throughout DL 2019.  And she should definitely be part of Crowdsourced. 

6a00d834515c6d69e200e54f2c676b8833-640wi.jpg

Crowdsourced Candidate #9 - Ben Aaronovitch.

I don't like doing this but I think this guy needs to be on the radar. He has said that he will continue to write his Peter Grant books until either no one buys them or he dies. 

This does not look like the physique of a man who will reach retirement age.

Unfortunately I am a fan and would be sad.

Ben_Aaronovitch.jpg

Crowdsourced Candidate #10 - Jean-Louis Trintignant

image.png.d150597f42fd78bc5ea49192db9d00fd.png

*Soon to be 88(Dec 11) years young,

*French Film Legend

*Terminal Cancer
*Stopped Treatment

*Wants to die

I just realized that the opening of the submission period is much closer than I realized. Which means I probably need to make my list around Wednesday or Thursday for my submission to the list before it opens...

• Like 1

Crowdsourced Candidate #11 - Javier Perez de Cuellar

86271.jpg

The most electrifying name in UN Diplomacy,turns 99 in January and is very frail. Keep in mind he is also  the same man who taught  Stephen Hawking Theoretical physics,Chuck Berry how to play the guitar and Maria Callas how to sing. If not picked next year it would be the biggest Miss in Crowdsource History

Okay, since I have finished setting up the spreadsheet for the Crowdsource list, and that I’m a nice guy and is feeling thankful at the moment, I’ve decided to move the opening of accepting submissions a few hours earlier than planned.

By which I mean that I am accepting submissions for the Crowdsource List now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Okay, since I have finished setting up the spreadsheet for the Crowdsource list, and that I’m a nice guy and is feeling thankful at the moment, I’ve decided to move the opening of accepting submissions a few hours earlier than planned.

By which I mean that I am accepting submissions for the Crowdsource List now. 

Nice one Joey.

Entry sent by PM.