maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2019

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

So a heads up on the state of play

38 teams in and entered on the masterlist with enough variety and obscurity in the picks that I guarantee you there's LOADS of names on there about whom I could tell you nowt. All entrants already listed on page one of this thread.

I'll load the masterlist sometime tomorrow morning

I'd suggest we're all vigilant from here on in. Just guessing re the picks I don't recognise but local/trade press is likely to be the maknig or breaking of some chances this year because we're clearly awash with totterers who exist somewhere on the marginal side of cult heroes and a few others doing the doe eyed tragic routine for the benefit of their local media.

Last time I looked Khan and Shivakkumara Swamiji were still around (and I'll declare a personal interest in them holding a pulse until at least 12-01 1 January) but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the masterlist carked before the starting gun.

What I'm saying here is that the 2019 Deathrace more than any other is likely to rely on a lively thread with all of us clocking and sharing evidence of q/o at the usual low-hanging Deathrace standard and sharing it. Once we've declared a winner we don't over-turn it even if it takes the Church Times two weeks to present evidence your friendly local canon carked ahead of the deadline and could've gifted the generous prize your way.

My guess - for what it's worth - is that we'll deliver on the annual fast and furious promise once we're underway.

Hi MPFC, Think that's 39 teams. Mine is posted on page 4, but doesn't appear on your list on page 1 ?

My team:

Fernando Romero (Mexican journalist/musician)
2 Billy Kenoi    
3 Josephine Mandamin  
4 Francis Byrne (veteran)  
5 Michiro Endo  
6 Glenn Holstrom (Portland musician)  
7 Fernando Ricksen  
8 Rex Bacchus (wrestler)  
9 Darren Easton (terminally ill husband)  
10 Edmund Capon (arts curator)  
11 Shirley Boone (wife of Pat Boone)  
12 Nick Philippoussis (tennis coach)  
13 Bobby Joe Maxwell (Skid Row murder suspect)  
14 Leigh "Li'l Queenie" Harris (New Orleans singer)
15 Jill Emberson (Australian journalist)  
16 Thuy Thanh Truong (Vietnamese entrepreneur)  
17 Andrew McGahan (Australian author)  
18 Larry Langford (former major of Birmingham, Alabama)  
19 Sri Sri Sri Shivakamura Swaiji - joker
20 Richard Merk (Philippino Jazz singer)  
Subs:      
  Derek Maitland  
  William Joplin (MMA)  

Tim Smith (frontman of The Cardiacs) - joker
Diana Athill (author)
Leah Bracknell (Emmerdale Farm actress)
Ralph Clarke (very old paedo)
Clarissa Eden (widow of Anthony)

Jill Gascoine (actress)
Gaston Glock (gun guy)
Clive James
Olivia Newton-John
Gudrun Ure (Supergran)

Brian Urquhart (World War 2 guy)
Donald Trump (orange twat)
Demi Lovato (singer)
Terry Jones (Monty Python)
Gladys Knight (singer)

Lil Xan (rapper, apparently)
Julie Goodyear (Coronation Street actress)
Vera Lynn
Dave Prowse (tall actor)
Bob Hawke (Australian former pm)

Kahn's death, which occurred on 31 December, was not announced until the morning of January 1st, three hours and a half ago. Kahn was widely believed to be alive after midnight UK time so I invoke the RHME, which would give me 732 points.

1 hour ago, drol said:

Kahn's death, which occurred on 31 December, was not announced until the morning of January 1st, three hours and a half ago. Kahn was widely believed to be alive after midnight UK time so I invoke the RHME, which would give me 732 points.

Aw fucking hell...haven't even posted the masterlist yet and I open up into this controversy. Gimmee an hour to perform serious investigative work.

As of 9-46 UK time Wiki thinks him alive!

And Times of India story is filed 1 Jan - https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/veteran-actor-writer-kader-khan-dies-at-81/articleshow/67332658.cms

So, given that evidence and the fact that when the masterlist goes up you'll see Khan in my line up I'm asking if anyone can find strong reality check evidence to challenge Drol's instant landslide of points.

• Haha 1

A nosy sod adds: Khan was def believed alive after UK midnight, so if Cas Willow got RHME points, I think he should. Even though I didn't pick him, and no doubt others jokered him. Fairs fair.

• Like 3

Oh aye, and the masterlist is up.

Reet

A few rants etc. and we're good to go

Re Khan. It's gone 10-00 and two search engines Firefox/Google are offering up top stories reporting the death none of which is earlier than 5am UK time, after which the bulk of the front page below them is stories about him still being alive, and Wiki thinks him still breathing. I'm minded to gift Drol a third of the points towards overall victory.

Also, you'll notice some names on the masterlist who've been dead for months because I had entries in January 2018 for the current competition. Something that prompted me at the time to point out I wasn't going to start changing teams in the final hours. Basically when you're in, you're in. I'm mentioning that because I've just swapped messages with someone who was looking to add Khan a couple of days back. Are we good from here onewards with another rule change that'll make it clear that once an entry is accepted, it's in?

Wiki 10-13 - 1 Jan (Kader Khan - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kader_Khan

Kader Khan (Urdu: قادر خان ; born 22 October 1937) is an Afghan-born Indian-Canadian film actor, screenwriter, comedian, and director. As an actor, he has ...)

Reet

And did I read the DDP thread wrong or are we in RHME territory with Fatima Ali as well?

Because she's still in sad last days territory if Googe/Firefox are the guide atm

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

Reet

And did I read the DDP thread wrong or are we in RHME territory with Fatima Ali as well?

I don't think she's dead.

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Reet

A few rants etc. and we're good to go

Re Khan. It's gone 10-00 and two search engines Firefox/Google are offering up top stories reporting the death none of which is earlier than 5am UK time, after which the bulk of the front page below them is stories about him still being alive, and Wiki thinks him still breathing. I'm minded to gift Drol a third of the points towards overall victory.

Also, you'll notice some names on the masterlist who've been dead for months because I had entries in January 2018 for the current competition. Something that prompted me at the time to point out I wasn't going to start changing teams in the final hours. Basically when you're in, you're in. I'm mentioning that because I've just swapped messages with someone who was looking to add Khan a couple of days back. Are we good from here onewards with another rule change that'll make it clear that once an entry is accepted, it's in?

Wiki 10-13 - 1 Jan (Kader Khan - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kader_Khan

Kader Khan (Urdu: قادر خان ; born 22 October 1937) is an Afghan-born Indian-Canadian film actor, screenwriter, comedian, and director. As an actor, he has ...)

Always assumed that was the case with any competition that didn't state in the rules you could do late swaps to be honest! Maybe clarifying it will allow you to be more forthright in saying when you're in you're in but wouldn't be needed with a modicum of common sense.

Fatima Ali ain't dead, was people bemoaning they didn't know about her more than anything. 

Just now, Deathray said:

Fatima Ali ain't dead, was people bemoaning they didn't know about her more than anything. 

Yeah, my hectic hunting just misread it. It's basically concern she's not obit-worthy and someone picking Bracknell as a joker over 29 year old Fatima for that reason.

So - there's enough tragic local cases on our masterlist that I'm suspecting Khan isn't the only scorer. Doubtless there'll be snippets linked to the Scunthorpe Reminder or some similar bastion of truth before too long.

13 hours ago, Pedro67 said:

Hi MPFC, Think that's 39 teams. Mine is posted on page 4, but doesn't appear on your list on page 1 ?

Aw fuck, on it!

And, in the meantime Khan's death doesn't seem to have hit any news media until today and I'm trusting none of the teams who picked him were hanging around the hospital disguised as porters when he was pegging out!

So, we have a scoreboard in play and Drol is currently the clear leader.

6 hours ago, drol said:

Who gives a rat's ass about UK time?  Deaths are as per local time, I"m sure the hospital didn't put time of death 'UK' time.  Just find out when the dude died, and give or don't give points accordingly.

19 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Who gives a rat's ass about UK time?  Deaths are as per local time, I"m sure the hospital didn't put time of death 'UK' time.  Just find out when the dude died, and give or don't give points accordingly.

The competition opens at midnight UK time. It's soon becomes pretty obvious why that time matters.

Given nobody had a fucking clue he was dead when submissions closed - i.e the opportunity to sub him in with another pick - he sat happilly on everyones teams, hence why it's being awarded as a 1st January death, because as far as every deadpooler was concerned when this opened he was alive.  

Some pools would sub in your next pick for this situation, the Deathrace has for many years had it's own solution to the problem, laid out in the rules before you entered the competition. So shut the fuck up and accept it. 

On 28/10/2018 at 18:08, maryportfuncity said:

This'll be the Masterlist then.

Mark E Smith – dr, sd – DNS DUE TO DEATH

Hold an a sec, someone else submitted a team in January @Sean, what the fuck you playing at?

15 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I fear the potential for confusion with the 2 gc's!

Yes, I saw that, too. Last year I was gr.

54 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Hold an a sec, someone else submitted a team in January @Sean, what the fuck you playing at?

I only submitted my entry a couple of days ago?

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Yes, I saw that, too. Last year I was gr.

Aye, you'll gather my current workload in a professional capacity has left me packing Deathrace into the few available gaps.

I'll restore gr immediately before it causes scoring problems.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sean said:

I only submitted my entry a couple of days ago?

@maryportfuncity

I think @Sean's username change has passed you by.

You've got Shaun of the Dead (written as "Sean of the Dead" with a lot of folk who died in January) on the masterlist and @Sean on the masterlist. They're the same person.

Absolutely sure you didn't send mpfc a January team sean? because if you did like me you'll have to stand by that.

On 05/01/2018 at 14:48, Sean said:

Just wanted to see how many names won't make the starting line.

On 05/01/2018 at 14:52, maryportfuncity said:

They are Joey. I dunno it's even running yet but I'll say here and now I've accepted Sean and Deathray and any arguments about the bit in rule three about "once entered..." will only serve to amuse people with your reticence about prematurely spunking the low-hanging wad. 

2019 game on, or summat

Obviously, I'm not that much of a bastard and should Deathray or Sean find themselves lacking 20 topplers because death has laid waste to their first team and generous subs bench I'll allow in enough fresh talent to make up the 20.

Stewards enquiry finds that Sean did indeed enter a team in January, in which case in the interests of fairness surely that should be his only team in the competition and the one he entered in December disregarded? 

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif