maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2019

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

K8yle8 C8ll8cher (now McCole) has stopped treatment and is planning her funeral - still think that puts her a long way behind Sri Sri Sri (who I don't have for some insane reason that I can't even begin to think of) in the queue to leave the planet.

On my subs bench - figured we'd have a winner before she checked out. 

Speaking of which - are we seriously facing a day with no death in this competition?

I said I would eclipse the 2019 by the 21st.  I stand by that.  So I won't worry about one day.  But if we (read: I) go 4 or 5 days without a hit, there should be an investigation.

PoftheM is on 3 hits after 3 days and the rest of his team are teetering on the brink of life.

Excellent selections and dead pooling.:clap:

• Thanks 1

At least I get a two in one hit for Islam and McIntyre, meaning that I won’t be fading into obscurity before the competition ends...

I'm not disputing anyone's truth above but Phantom has a serious lead already because I found a q/o for Islam on the DDP thread

Where will I find one for the RAF cancer mum?

Post a link and I'll gift Phantom a mighty lead this evening.

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Oh aye, and the cancer mum is alive - serves me right for listening to idiots in the office!

• Like 1

Either way, mind

This pool's on fire: 

And let's have a look at the old Scoreboard!

Phantom of the Midway - 1092

Drol- 732

Maryportfuncity - 730

Sir Creep - 730

• Like 1

Don't recall coming across Islam in my searching.  Big miss if I didn't.  Well done to the pile who have him.
(Could also be a victim of doing all my DPs at the same time....you eliminate a name from one and maybe eliminate it mentally from all when that wasn't the idea DOH).

I could have picked both but instead went for terminal nobodies. Wrong move.

1 hour ago, drol said:

I could have picked both but instead went for terminal nobodies. Wrong move.

Terminal Nobodies - great name for a band; I'm hearing goth with some knowing indie nihilism thrown in.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Banana said:

Francis Byrne is a hit for Death Impends & GC. 363 pts.

Has any other thread already done the Byrne in Hell joke?

It's 362 (days left in the year after they die) but puts DI on 1091, one behind the lead.

Yeah well one of my guys went from being in an induced coma when I turned in my team to sitting up eating meals yesterday.   He could choke to death maybe....

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Yeah well one of my guys went from being in an induced coma when I turned in my team to sitting up eating meals yesterday.   He could choke to death maybe....

Some people are just so damned thoughtless.

Alas I have to report that Gary Perkins, country singer and Deathrace pick by yours truly, succumbed to pancreatic cancer ...about a month ago.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Alas I have to report that Gary Perkins, country singer and Deathrace pick by yours truly, succumbed to pancreatic cancer ...about a month ago.

Reet, so the issue is whether the RHME applies - due dilligence done, here's the FB page and his devoted fan base were sharing memories before the DR deadline. C'tee on this can't award points.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/88919605920/

So the bad news is Sir Creep's already had a chortle and you've unique picked a totterer who delivered nowt

The good news is I'll cop for no time to do any dilligence at the last minute. He clearly wasn't eligible due to his thoughtless act of dying in mid-December and therefore your sub - Bob Hawke - comes into play

• Like 2

nay worse than one of me chortles

Well fudge. I should have looked at Dorothy Morrison's Wikipedia page and not just loitered about the forums. According to the page, Ms Morrison joined the choir invisible 18 October 2017.

7 hours ago, Torva Messor said:

Well fudge. I should have looked at Dorothy Morrison's Wikipedia page and not just loitered about the forums. According to the page, Ms Morrison joined the choir invisible 18 October 2017.

I believe you may be in luck as seemingly this information has only come to light in the last few days.

How is anyone in luck for a dead person?  When we discovered they were dead couldn't be less relevant.  The deceased's relatives were certainly aware, is the responsibility MINE to now go and search all known relatives on FB and prove that a day later a niece posted 'by Auntie I loved you so'? 

45 minutes ago, msc said:

I believe you may be in luck as seemingly this information has only come to light in the last few days.

It was known before Christmas as Maryport put up there.

29 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

How is anyone in luck for a dead person?  When we discovered they were dead couldn't be less relevant.  The deceased's relatives were certainly aware, is the responsibility MINE to now go and search all known relatives on FB and prove that a day later a niece posted 'by Auntie I loved you so'? 

If you're going to be an absolute barrel scraping cunt and pick absolute fucking nobodies then yes, it is your responsibility to do your due dilligence and check your absolutely nobody is still fucking alive, however you need to do that is up to. She clearly wouldn't have obited anyway so who gives a fuck? You've been given a sub, so fucking deal with it,  you obsessed cunto of  a yank shitbag?

You really do take this shit too seriously at time. She's been dead over 14 months for fuck sake, do your fucking research...

The country singer was well known, not the 1930s actress? Well, I'm confused now.

Anyhow, bit sad when somebody in films (even if made before everyone bar LFN was born) die forgotten but the Mirror gives 2 pages to every 20 year old mum with cancer.

• Like 1

I see no need for the RHME rule (he said, putting his head above the parapet) and I don't care I'm not in this game and if the rule is the rule then participants sign up to it.

However, the abuse of it is quite clear to me at least and again thrown into sharp relief.

1. What is the point of subs? Someone like Morrison dies 14 months ago. It does appear Hollywood Reporter will not be reporting this due to the time scale. However, if someone does mention it given the wide obit requirements, players who picked her don't use their sub, but instead gain maximum points.

2. Let's look again at Kader Khan. He was widely reported speculatively as dead, then the son came out and denied it. He died in Toronto at 6pm, 11pm UK GMT. Again not within the period of the game. Then around 5am UK GMT (midnight Toronto time) the death is reported for the first time. I know, I was up. This seems to me at least utilising possible delays in reporting using the coverage of the New Year celebrations to gain an advantage. Again a sub isn't used.

Removing this would simplify the game and remove yet another controversy in fairness to all players. If it is a strict rule the death must occur on or after 1 January, the time of death is as far as practical determined by local time and if a person is ruled out, a sub replaces the corpse. However, again I stress this isn't a complaint, it is merely a suggestion to smooth running. It might be fast and furious in order to give MPFC a quick result, but the continuing issues of this actually mean more, not less, work for MPFC imo.

*runs away*

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, msc said:

The country singer was well known, not the 1930s actress? Well, I'm confused now.

Anyhow, bit sad when somebody in films (even if made before everyone bar LFN was born) die forgotten but the Mirror gives 2 pages to every 20 year old mum with cancer.

Barely anybody picked in this fucking comp is well known because there's not even a fundamentally basic fame requirement. If they get an obit there acceptable, it's ludicrous. And yes Dorothy Morrison was a nobody.

I'm not saying Gary Perkins was well known but the fact of the matter is he's more in vogue with the obit editors these days and of greater interest to lots of people. An actress who last acted in 1936 - before the second World War - is not a shoo-in for an obit, because quell surprise; not many people are into silent era films enough to know who she is. It's like me entering some no mark from Guittierettos and complaining they didn't get an obit.

If you're going to enter no-marks you accept that frankly they might a) be already fucking dead b) die without a fucking obit c) we'll never know either way

It's the risk you take, sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. If you're going to enter a woman who retired from public life pretty much in the 1930s then don't be suprised when nobody notices she's carked for 14 fucking months except her family....