maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2019

47 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I see no need for the RHME rule (he said, putting his head above the parapet) and I don't care I'm not in this game and if the rule is the rule then participants sign up to it.

However, the abuse of it is quite clear to me at least and again thrown into sharp relief.

1. What is the point of subs? Someone like Morrison dies 14 months ago. It does appear Hollywood Reporter will not be reporting this due to the time scale. However, if someone does mention it given the wide obit requirements, players who picked her don't use their sub, but instead gain maximum points.

2. Let's look again at Kader Khan. He was widely reported speculatively as dead, then the son came out and denied it. He died in Toronto at 6pm, 11pm UK GMT. Again not within the period of the game. Then around 5am UK GMT (midnight Toronto time) the death is reported for the first time. I know, I was up. This seems to me at least utilising possible delays in reporting using the coverage of the New Year celebrations to gain an advantage. Again a sub isn't used.

Removing this would simplify the game and remove yet another controversy in fairness to all players. If it is a strict rule the death must occur on or after 1 January, the time of death is as far as practical determined by local time and if a person is ruled out, a sub replaces the corpse. However, again I stress this isn't a complaint, it is merely a suggestion to smooth running. It might be fast and furious in order to give MPFC a quick result, but the continuing issues of this actually mean more, not less, work for MPFC imo.

*runs away*

Yeah, but...

At least this dead pool is lively, eh?

So, since the get out of jail free caveat in the rules here is that my judgement is final, let's get a grip.

Khan - It's a low-hanger fest and the whole usp of this little wank-fest of doom is the deluge of death and plethora of points, or summat. So, the likes of those lingering in their last seconds are our business. The man is clearly famous enough to obit by our standards, the issue here is literally around - roughly - 60 minutes and in those circumstances he was the kind of pick we're bound to see in Deathrace. Granted, you could moan about him being on my team but Little Jimmy Dickenson a couple of years back was the same animal, I didn't have him and I did award points. The RHME here is a minor technicality. That's my opinion anyway, though always happy to listen to the customers.

Dorothy Morrison - wtf?!! So, clearly will not obit and don't even ask me re RHME in her case because the points are a combi of genuine confusion re whether the pick was alive (Raymond Hewlett being a good example of how this could happen) and the pick obiting (like Khan). This pushes the envelope in a different direction and gets me thinking. Maybe we should have a limit on the RHME, like if they're dead over six months it's your look out and don't expect a sub. Worth considering. Though Ms Morrison might be a useful test case here in that Wiki is saying they need a citation for date of death - so let's watch that and see if such citation appears in due course. The issue - I guess - being not so much her achievements as how far she'd fallen off anyone's radar so even by Deathrace standards she died a nobody, regardless of what she achieved.

Which leaves me pointing out what I thought when starting this dead pool. Part of it is the skill. If we're clear local papers, trade press etc. qualify as obits then we've got a focus on who could be a pick.

In the circumstances Torva and Book now have the next available sub in play for Morrison. Book's sub is saying hi below. Wonder how many of us would know her without looking her up online!

Iris-Apfel.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Book's sub is saying hi below. Wonder how many of us would know her without looking her up online!

Iris-Apfel.jpg

Was about to say "I would" but that probably wouldn't come out the right way!

96 ffs.

• Haha 2

Well, there you go.

Contestants should be clear that it is the reporting of the death that matters. I understand Twitter isn't valid for that requirement, because all Twitter is speculation. So as an example, if I find out that Edward Haydock of the Hollies is dead on Twitter on 31 December (he isn't, I'm just using him as an example), submit my team including him, he gets an qualifying obit on 2 January, boom!

This makes this game exceptional in placing more importance on reporting than the actual death. As long as contestants are clear and the rule is applied fairly, there should be no controversies in future.

*runs really far away, never to return*

16 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Book's sub is saying hi below. Wonder how many of us would know her without looking her up online!

She's in my DDP theme team.

First glance though, I thought it was Marjorie Proops and was going to say "I thought she was dead" ....

6871353_125787889307.jpg

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Well, there you go.

Contestants should be clear that it is the reporting of the death that matters. I understand Twitter isn't valid for that requirement, because all Twitter is speculation. So as an example, if I find out that Edward Haydock of the Hollies is dead on Twitter on 31 December (he isn't, I'm just using him as an example), submit my team including him, he gets an qualifying obit on 2 January, boom!

This makes this game exceptional in placing more importance on reporting than the actual death. As long as contestants are clear and the rule is applied fairly, there should be no controversies in future.

Hmmm

Well, if they score points by dying then death is important. But, yeah, all good dead pools have some usp in combining the dead pooling with some skill. Tbh the demands of the HPDP where it's about getting them down in the right order do it for me. So, like I said above, at least if we have a feel for where and how the death might be reported we're armed and ready for the competition.

Speaking of which - surely some local paper has gone online with vital news about the guy that ran the local biscuit factory dropping dead and surely one of the little known names on the masterlist is that very man. Let's get some more points on the scoreboard.

• Haha 1

Morrison great grand daughter has tweeted her great gran's date of death. That might be enough for Wiki.

10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Morrison great grand daughter has tweeted her great gran's date of death. That might be enough for Wiki.

Why?

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Aye well (holds head up high and casually runs fingers through hair) we Deathracers have higher standards than that!

Nul point!

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Wonder how many of us would know her without looking her up online!

I knew of Dorothy Morrison only from this website. "Our Gang" members typically get a QO where I am -- Mildred Kornman (aka Ricki Van Dusen) has a good chance of a qualifying obit when she passes. The Little Rascal Pro Boards contributors haven't deleted Morrison from their list of surviving "OG"/"LR" cast. I'm happy my sub comes into play.

3 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, there you go.

Twitter reporting death of Eric Haydock of the Hollies.  Wikipedia listing January 5th as the death date.  (Crossposted from Dead Pop Stars thread.)

4 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Twitter reporting death of Eric Haydock of the Hollies.  Wikipedia listing January 5th as the death date.  (Crossposted from Dead Pop Stars thread.)

Hmm, interesting in the context of wider discussions on the DL but...nobody has him in the DR

The convoluted logic being offered up, it’s sad to hear mouth breathers are running DPs.

Here’s SC’s logic: Person is dead they’re dead.

Notice no dancing on the head of a pin or need for further explanation.

I don’t believe that you really believe what bullshit you’re spouting, but if your goal is to protect illogical rules with whatever the illogical basis was that created then, you e certainly accomplished that.  But I don’t believe for a fucking second if you were sitting down and creating a DP from scratch you would even suggest such a twisted rule.  

SC

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

The convoluted logic being offered up, it’s sad to hear mouth breathers are running DPs.

Here’s SC’s logic: Person is dead they’re dead.

Notice no dancing on the head of a pin or need for further explanation.

I don’t believe that you really believe what bullshit you’re spouting, but if your goal is to protect illogical rules with whatever the illogical basis was that created then, you e certainly accomplished that.  But I don’t believe for a fucking second if you were sitting down and creating a DP from scratch you would even suggest such a twisted rule.  

SC

Yeah but the dead is dead approach could see us deadpooling on the back of lurking in the bushes at local care homes and/or chasing ambulances. Feel free to start the Fish in a Barrel/ Dead is Dead pool. I imagine some people-trafficker entering just as he sees the storm warning!

TBH I designed summat lively here and we learn as we go. Don't see the q/o logic as convoluted, just different enough to the others to mean Deathrace is copying nowt.

If the above is a dig at Deathrace we could - like - cut the number of teams by one.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Fuck ‘em all Mary, your pool, your rules, nobody’s forced to play.  Now please can you make a rule that I win for once :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

It's all gone a bit...slow

Has there seriously been no low hanger action since the weekend or are most of us competing in this so busy at work we haven't had time to dig out death reports?

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

It's all gone a bit...slow

Has there seriously been no low hanger action since the weekend or are most of us competing in this so busy at work we haven't had time to dig out death reports?

No deaths to report but I notice in the scoreboard I'm in a Joey Russ sandwich and it's making me feel uncomfortable.

Joey Russ - 725

Grim up North - 364

Joey Russ - 362

My entire team lives. Lulling everyone into a false sense of security, honest.

16 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

No deaths to report but I notice in the scoreboard I'm in a Joey Russ sandwich and it's making me feel uncomfortable.

Joey Russ - 725

Grim up North - 364

Joey Russ - 362

That worried about the Cup draw already?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

My entire team lives.

I said I'd win by Jan 21st.  Let's review:

Creep's Entry:

1. Dave Bartholomew -- so why isn't he dead by now?
  2. Shirley Boone - so why isn't she dead by now?
  3. Andrew Fairlie - by Jan 20th I will be asking so why isn't he dead by now?
  4. Mason Henn - Literally on death's door when I turned in list (induced coma), was sitting up eating breakfast Jan 3.  The fucker.  Bad pick, he's fine.
  5. Kader Khan - Dead
  6. Larry Langford  (**JOKER**) -- beginning to look like one of a LONNNGGGG list of criminals who lied their way out of prison, all criminal-like (so why isn't he dead already?)
  7. Johann Rehbogen -- (See Larry Langford)
  8. Sri Sri Shavikamura Swami - so why isn't he dead already?
  9. Tyler Trent - Dead
  10. Victor Valimaki - Very bad pick -- he's fine.  
  11. Renee Walinga - At least she annoys our host, well worth the inclusion.  My favourite DP pick of all time just cuz of that.  Suck my Walinga, DRay.

So you see, I expected at least 5 to 6 hits already (Bartholomew Boone Fairlie Henn Khan Langford SriSri Trent) or certainly by the 10th.  I expected 7-8 hits by the 20th. 
My team sucks, as do my misguided expectations.
SC

Lessie Brown is a hit for me.

• Like 1

Larry Langford is a hit for a lot of us. Also joker points for me and Sir Creep.

• Like 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Larry Langford is a hit for a lot of us. Also joker points for me and Sir Creep.

I love when I sign on and see great news.  RIP mayor

Revving up, then

Phantom of the Midway - 1449

Death Impends - 1448

Joey Russ - 1439

• Like 1

Didn't know where to put this, as I am a relatively new lurker and decided to make an account.  My friends and I did our first death pool more than a couple of years ago, where the 4 of us picked just 2 celebrities each, and the contest was over when someone had their 2 picks die.  We enjoyed it so much (the winner had Zsa Zsa Gabor and Billy Graham) that the 4 of us decided to have a more-encompassing 2019 Death Pool draft, with 8 categories and where you pick 2 celebrities for each category.  We are from America (California, to be exact), so the choices were more US-centric, as we had a rule where at least 3 of us had to know who the celebrity was (hence, no Leah Bracknell or Fernando Ricksen).  Our 8 categories were:  40 and Under, Foreign, Movies/TV, Music, Sports, Wrestling, Movies/TV/Music (the first Flex category), and another Flex category.  We had a draft where the person with the first pick got to choose a person in the category of their choice, and then that person would get the 8th and final selection in that category; in the next category, the person that picked 1st and 8th would go 4th and 5th.  Oh, and we also had a rule where you could have no more than four 90-and-overs on your roster, and no 100-year-olds.  In any case, this was my team:

Bam Margera, Demi Lovato (40 and Under)

Prince Philip, Pope Benedict (Foreign)

Valerie Harper, Sidney Poitier (Movies/TV)

Little Richard, Tina Turner (Music)

Steve Gleason, Chris Doleman (Sports)

Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff, Howard Finkel (Wrestling)

Cloris Leachman, Barbara Walters (Movies/TV/Music Flex)

Harry Reid, Beth Chapman (Flex)

In doing my research, I based a lot of it on this site and just reading the comments.  If this was the wrong thread to post this in, sorry about that.  May the force be with me!  

15 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Didn't know where to put this, as I am a relatively new lurker and decided to make an account.  My friends and I...decided to have a more-encompassing 2019 Death Pool draft, with 8 categories and where you pick 2 celebrities for each category. Our 8 categories were:  40 and Under, Foreign, Movies/TV, Music, Sports, Wrestling, Movies/TV/Music (the first Flex category), and another Flex category.  We had a draft where the person with the first pick got to choose a person in the category of their choice, and then that person would get the 8th and final selection in that category; in the next category, the person that picked 1st and 8th would go 4th and 5th.  Oh, and we also had a rule where you could have no more than four 90-and-overs on your roster, and no 100-year-olds...

If this was the wrong thread to post this in, sorry about that.

Welcome!

This probably does belong in some other thread, not totally sure which one though, I’m sure someone else will tell you :)

But by all means you can start your own DP (such as one with the interesting format you described) by creating a thread in this section of the forum.