Guest Goonish Grin

Norman Wisdom

This from yesterday's Sun:

Film veteran Sir Norman Wisdom is to return to the movie screen-aged 92. The comedy legend will play a vicar in the film Ex'presso, which is based around one day in a cafe. Sir Norman, who appears for just one minute, is bothered by a pesky fly as he tries to write a sermon. Eventually he swats the fly with a book. The movie will tour film festivals in Easter.

Don't let's forget good old Norman Wisdom - 92 today!!!

Interesting article about his current state of affairs. While he's still in the early stages of Alzheimers, everything else sounds rather grim.

Perhaps it's for our resident Isle Of Man-ners to investigate further...

Interesting article about his current state of affairs. While he's still in the early stages of Alzheimers, everything else sounds rather grim.

T'aint fair. The hyenas are gathering. He'd be better off in Brinsworth House. It's a lesson for all of us. Spend it while you can.

Perhaps it's for our resident Isle Of Man-ners to investigate further...

I kNow a joke on the subject ... (Clears throat) two drunks in the pub stammering over there 7th pint of the day when one turns to the other and says "i have a good one for you. If you could either have one or the other what would you have? Parkinsons or Alzhemiers?"

" Thats a good one but its deffinatly got to be parkinsons"

"that was a quick anwser, why so deffinate?"

"well" said the second drunk " Id rather spill half my pint than forget where i put it in the first place"

T'aint fair. The hyenas are gathering. He'd be better off in Brinsworth House. It's a lesson for all of us. Spend it while you can.

I think he failed the audition to Brinsworth House. In other words, even by the egotistic standards of that place he was OTT.

How immensely sad. A while back I read he was ailing, but still attempting to make the odd appearance around the country. But the last few years have not been kind to him.

As someone who had to help make the decision & then help put my grandmother in an nursing home for Alzheimer's, that particular line about Sir Norman's first few days was particulary poignant & difficult.

I just hope his remaining days will be as happy as possible & this family thing is sorted out. The way Ted Williams' family treated him in his last days was shocking - let's hope Wisdom's family, whilst not so insane, treat him a lot better than that.

Dont believe everything you read in the papers! He sounds like hes doing just fine to me!

Dont believe everything you read in the papers! He sounds like hes doing just fine to me!

Alzheimer's and a combination of not having any visitors takes a lot out of a person.

basically it shatters your spirit.

Norman Wisdom was/is a very popular person and thrives on being around people who enjoy his company and have grown up watching his movies. After all Lee Evans modeled himself on Norman Wisdom.

I think Wisdom will be a far flung image of who he used to be in about a year's time.

Sir Norman's swansong is released

"He may be 92 but he was still an absolute professional," added Mr Davey.

"Sadly his condition has gone a bit downhill since January and he needs more care now."

In July 2006, Sir Norman, who lives on the Isle of Man, underwent an operation to fit a pacemaker in Liverpool.

He announced his retirement from show business at the age of 90 in February 2005.

Norman Wisdom was/is a very popular person and thrives on being around people who enjoy his company and have grown up watching his movies. After all Lee Evans modeled himself on Norman Wisdom.

Is that double speak for NW is a man who has struggled to develop his own distinct personality and finds the thought of having to think deeply about himself very frightening. If so, we'll be dealing with Charlton Heston style dementia where he weeps uncontrollably.

Just seen a trailer for a programme about him next week, might have to watch that, just for dl interest.

Lengthy Guardian article on his children caring for him, ahead of a programme on BBC 2 this Wednesday. The end of the article makes it plain he's going down quickly - at least in terms of his mind. And it's only January.....

Lengthy Guardian article on his children caring for him, ahead of a programme on BBC 2 this Wednesday. The end of the article makes it plain he's going down quickly - at least in terms of his mind. And it's only January.....

That is very sad. It looks grim and I wouldn't like to be in his family's position, or indeed any that have to cope with such a trauma.

It would be remarkable if he makes 2009, but after that... :rolleyes:

I was discussing deadpooling and the various candidates with the Voice of Young Maryport this afternoon when I stuck on the telly in search of news of Carlisle's progress at Doncaster. BBC 2 were showing a 1965 opus featuring the great Norman, TVOYM lasted about thirty seconds before wondering out loud why people ever bothered paying money to watch such shite.

That must be why they wouldn't have him at Brinsworth House. Alzheimer's is such a tough one to call. They can go on for years but I agree that's probably unlikely at his age.

I was discussing deadpooling and the various candidates with the Voice of Young Maryport this afternoon when I stuck on the telly in search of news of Carlisle's progress at Doncaster. BBC 2 were showing a 1965 opus featuring the great Norman, TVOYM lasted about thirty seconds before wondering out loud why people ever bothered paying money to watch such shite.

I think its a good film, if a little dated.

Huh! Kids today eh? :rolleyes:

Wisdom family makes care decision

"He is on mental decline and it's very difficult to have a conversation with him, he is unable to reciprocate."

Nick Wisdom said that his father was physically fine and while a camera crew was filming the family for a documentary about coping with dementia, he acted up for them, even jumping on a rowing machine to make people laugh.

He's on telly in half an hour and it promises to be surreal, high quality car crash television of the highest order. Time to study form methinks.

Just time for a shower, kettle on and cut a slice of cake!

He's on telly in half an hour and it promises to be surreal, high quality car crash television of the highest order. Time to study form methinks.

Physically, he looked good for a few more years. Our best chance is for him to forget what a bus is and walk in front of one.

Sadly, no footage of him groping the carers in Brinsworth prior to his 'eviction', so here's Norman with a reprise of his 1923 chart-topper

And for the daredevils amongst you, why not try his chatroom?

Physically, he looked good for a few more years. Our best chance is for him to forget what a bus is and walk in front of one.

Sadly, no footage of him groping the carers in Brinsworth prior to his 'eviction', so here's Norman with a reprise of his 1923 chart-topper

And for the daredevils amongst you, why not try his chatroom?

I agree... Norman will be around for a couple of years yet....

Trust me to read the press reports and take it as gospel...

I concur with the above two - physically (although this is hardly suprising - he always kept supremely fit to do all those stunts) he looked remarkably well for ANY near 93 year old - he could even pass for his late 70's.

Also he is still in the very early stages of Alzheimers - yep, he had trouble remembering who his grand-son was, but the fact that he could remember word-for-word "Don't cry for me, I'm a fool" in the performance in the nursing home (that must've been September) & gave a decent gusto at it too, means for someone with dementia, he's not doing too badly.

But he does have a histroy of heart trouble, and if anything, is rather plump for his age, so that might yet carry him off.

It was sad though - nowhere near as heart-wrenching as the George Melly feature was, but sad nonetheless. It can't have been THAT long ago that he deliberately tripped on the Buckingham Palace carpet as he got his knighthood.

It depends how much he has detoriated since, but I am now thinking I made a mistake putting him in, and not Yitzhak Shamir in the DDP.

But then, I need to do badly in the DDP anyway so I don't win my "own" deadpool! :banghead:

Norman Wisdom is as good as dead being palmed off by his loving family to a care home.In an act of humanity we must smother this mans face in Mr Grimsdales Y-fronts. :D

Norman Wisdom is as good as dead being palmed off by his loving family to a care home.In an act of humanity we must smother this mans face in Mr Grimsdales Y-fronts. :P

sister in-law works at the care home and he is going down hill fast. the AZ is a eating away at his brain....another sixties film star going to the great film can in the sky soon :D

I saw bits and pieces of that Documentary, so, so sad. He will certainly be gone by the end of the year.